Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me, Guys!

Help me, Guys!

I'm going to New York City, this week. OF COURSE, I'm taking my camera! Any advice - any advice, at all, please? It's the first time that I'll be hoofing it through a city with a camera. It's the first time that I'll have a city as fodder for photography.

I was thinking of only taking the kit lens (18-55mm) and just leaving the 60mm safely at home. Thing is, I can get that wider aperture with the 60. Thoughts, please?

rob marshall

Re: Help me, Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I'm going to New York City, this week. OF COURSE, I'm taking my camera! Any advice - any advice, at all, please?
    I'll fly over too, Katy to guard it for you...

I should think a wide angle is a must. Don't forget to enjoy yourself.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Don't go. Stay in the country. Cities are dangerous places!

Apart from that, I would have thought that the 18-55 would be fine for the job.

ps - Can I come too ....... to make sure Rob is okay?

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post

Nothing personal, mon ami, but I probably have more muscles...

Real Name
    Jim

I was there 2 summers ago.50D and a 17-55 was all I took.I vote,take your 18-55.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Katy, you need protection from these muscle men. Take me along.

PS:- I can bring my 70-300 mm along..

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    I'll fly over too, Katy to guard it for you...

I should think a wide angle is a must. Don't forget to enjoy yourself.
    Oh, I'm sure that you're very strong and brave, Rob, but, very unfortunately, I think I'll be fine. Suzy has a wicked karate chop...

(If I see Woody, I'll get his autograph. Does he even live in NY, anymore? He seems so synonymous...)

Real Name
    Bill S

You might want to take a fresh credit card and stop at one of the many fine photography stores there and buy the lens you want to use...

- Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post

Apart from that, I would have thought that the 18-55 would be fine for the job.

You're so cute!

Okay, wait! I can't keep up, here. NYC does sound pretty fun, doesn't it?! So, great advice, Guys! It IS helpful, though, to get your feedback. (and, Wow, Bill! I would NEVER have thought of that on my own - good thing I asked!!!)

Suzy said that when she went to NY, a few years back, a professional photographer told her that for street photography, she should not raise her camera but keep it low, set at infinity and, generally point it in the general direction. (This was back in the day of 'expensive' film, too.) She did, actually, wind up with some great shots but I don't know about this approach for myself. Any advice along those lines? Then, there's architecture but I don't think that this is something that I appreciate until it's in someone else's photo.

Real Name
    Bill S

(and, Wow, Bill! I would NEVER have thought of that on my own - good thing I asked!!!)
    Do I sense just a touch of sarcasm there?

Anyway, is your gear covered by insurance? You might want to check with your home-owners insurance and see. If not, see if you can get it covered on a separate rider. I keep all of my gear insured, so it makes me much less nervous to get out there and use it.

It seems to be one of the the spoken undertones to your questions - how to keep your gear safe from getting stolen. And I know insurance isn't going to stop it, but it makes it slightly more bearable if it does happen.

I think the risk is pretty low to begin with (how many tourists walk around NYC every day? but of course you'll only hear the bad stories about the ones who's cameras got ripped off), but it is worth doing just on a regular basis. My insurance is through State Farm and is extremely reasonable, and covers just about everything... including if I would drop my camera in the toilet (or so claims my agent).

Eliminate the worry so you can focus on enjoying your trip.

- Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Do I sense just a touch of sarcasm there?
    Absolutely not! Definitely admiration and appreciation!

Anyway, is your gear covered by insurance? You might want to check with your home-owners insurance and see. If not, see if you can get it covered on a separate rider. I keep all of my gear insured, so it makes me much less nervous to get out there and use it.

Eliminate the worry so you can focus on enjoying your trip.
    I've heard that talked about, here, before and was just thinking about that, this week. This is a good little push to get to it. Thank you!

Real Name
    Bill S

Absolutely not! Definitely admiration and appreciation!
    Nope - don't sense any there either...

I've heard that talked about, here, before and was just thinking about that, this week. This is a good little push to get to it. Thank you!
    I definitely think it is a valuable thing to do. I think I pay less than $60 to insure like $12k worth of stuff. I could be wrong with that number, but I know it is a very reasonable amount to insure my gear. I'd recommend it to anyone.

- Bill

Okay, hurry up, you all! We were going to leave on Wed. but, now, we're going tomorrow morning! (mom, sis and I.)

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

I didn't realise that there were so many sad old men using this forum.
    So comforting not to be alone!!

Real Name
    Paul

Katy, I wish I were going with as well. It has been a long time since I was last in NYC. For someone whom does not see it every day it can be a touch overwhelming. Being to simply ride the subway from times square to the village which is not even fully across town is over 2hrs. Nuts how big that city is. Your lens choice will be fine, but you may think of bringing an extra card and don't forget another battery,

Real Name
    james

Katy I hope you have a good time in the city, you girls need to stick together. Lots of great advice guys , I am going to look into insuring my gear.I have a trip to washington Dc comin up .

Real Name
    John

Okay, wait! I can't keep up, here. NYC does sound pretty fun, doesn't it?! So, great advice, Guys! It IS helpful, though, to get your feedback. (and, Wow, Bill! I would NEVER have thought of that on my own - good thing I asked!!!)

Suzy said that when she went to NY, a few years back, a professional photographer told her that for street photography, she should not raise her camera but keep it low, set at infinity and, generally point it in the general direction. (This was back in the day of 'expensive' film, too.) She did, actually, wind up with some great shots but I don't know about this approach for myself. Any advice along those lines? Then, there's architecture but I don't think that this is something that I appreciate until it's in someone else's photo.
    Times Square at night is a required stop and you can hold the camera at any angle you want as there will be hundreds of tourists jostling you for position. As far as safety, keep your camera bag close at all times, especially in taxis, and each lighting condition will warrant what settings to use. Another good photo op would be a river cruise at sunset.

Real Name
    Mike

Get some shots from the ferries if you use them... You could stop at B&H camera... the photographers toy store, according to the local camera club.

Real Name
    Kay

Have fun Katy!
    It seems to be the week for it - and in the true spirit of 'let's digress onto another tangent"
    I ventured to the city myself today (not that NY one of course) and met up with Peter and Raylee & James who had ventured south from Canberra.
    We had a very pleasant lunch, so thanks guys for inviting me - it was great to meet you all.

My son was a trifle alarmed when i said i was going to meet some online friends......
    "What if they're from some sheep worshipping cult" he wanted to know.... (he was asking the new Zealander )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast