Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a play thing!

Real Name
    Ron

Just a play thing!

This is what happens when i'm not happywith a photo that i'm working on.Gave it a mosaic texture.Don't know if this is acceptable here but i liked the end results.Feel free to C&C.

Just a play thing!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Just a play thing!

Works for me, Ron. I like the effect and the colors of the fish.

Real Name
    Steve

I like it too, nice job.

Real Name
    Chris

Makes it look like one of those crazy jigsaw puzzles with a zillion pieces all the same shape.

Real Name
    Ron

Thanks Jiro and Steve.

Real Name
    Ron

Thanks Chris.

Real Name
    Crystal

I like it, the mosaic seems to fit great with the picture.

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by FlurdtsFemale View Post
    I like it, the mosaic seems to fit great with the picture.
    Sorry it took so long to thank you Crystal.Thank you!

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Rasbury View Post
    This is what happens when i'm not happywith a photo that i'm working on.Gave it a mosaic texture.
    I'm being serious here. If you are not happy with a shot (any shot) perhaps the best thing to do is to ask yourself how it can be improved in the camera, or by altering the conditions under which you shoot it. For example, a poor portrait shot might be improved by getting a better model, or perhaps by changing the location, or the lighting. I know there is a temptation (I do it myself, but not so often now) to take a short-cut and 'improve' a shot using plug-in filters and artistic techniques in Photoshop, but the more that you rely upon such techniques the longer it will take you to get it right in the first place.

Note to self: (Don't be so preachy!)

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    I'm being serious here. If you are not happy with a shot (any shot) perhaps the best thing to do is to ask yourself how it can be improved in the camera, or by altering the conditions under which you shoot it. For example, a poor portrait shot might be improved by getting a better model, or perhaps by changing the location, or the lighting. I know there is a temptation (I do it myself, but not so often now) to take a short-cut and 'improve' a shot using plug-in filters and artistic techniques in Photoshop, but the more that you rely upon such techniques the longer it will take you to get it right in the first place.

Preach away Rob.I've been attempting to take photo's recently that don't require to much post processing to learn how to get it right in the camera.Feel free to speak your mind as that is why i am here on this forum,to learn from people such as yourself as to how to get it right the first time.Thanks for the comment and keep them coming.

Real Name
    Bill S

Ron,

While I concur with Rob's little sermon there, I do also have to agree with the others that I like the effect.

However, I am curious of a couple things...

1. What was it about the original photo that you were unhappy with? Whatever it was, I don't necessarily see it in the mosaic (or see it being fixed by the mosaic).

2. Would you be willing to share the original? Perhaps then Preacher Rob can help teach how you could have improved it (I really think if he keeps it up, we might have to call him Preacher Rob all the time... hehe - you know I'm just kidding, Rob) Being serious though, I can see potential there, but I can also see problems... but I think right now they get glossed over because of the mosaic effect (which I guess is the desired effect - but while losing the problems, you also probably lose the good points).

3. With the mosaic filter version, what do you think of making one of the koi (my vote is for the center bright yellow one) non-mosaic to give the image a very surreal feeling? So a real fish swimming among the mosaic... I don't know how well it would turn out, but in my head it looks cool...

4. I'd personally go with a larger mosaic piece to help show the effect rather than it looking like a jigsaw like Chris said.

- Bill

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Would you be willing to share the original? Perhaps then Preacher Rob can help teach how you could have improved it (I really think if he keeps it up, we might have to call him Preacher Rob all the time...
    No, please, no... I'll never hear the end of it from Katy.

Real Name
    Bill S

No, please, no... I'll never hear the end of it from Katy.
    Sorry mate... I'm sure she's read it by now and your fate is sealed.

Besides... even if she hasn't read it yet, it isn't like I could go back and edit that last post or anything... this is the internet, and we have to maintain some levels of integrity!

- Bill

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    ... we have to maintain some levels of integrity!
    Well, I've managed quite well without it so far.

Hear the end of what??? I'm going to go read....

Oh, geesh! No comment.

He's absolutely right, though!

Real Name
    Ron

Here is the original photo SOOC.It made a very good image to pratice cloning on.I'll probably come back to it at a later time because i do like the photo but it just didn't appeal to me at the time i was working on it.

Just a play thing!

rob marshall

Flotsam on the water surface like that is a real problem, isn't it. I get it all the time - hours with a Wacom pen!

Real Name
    Bill S

SOOC version is not showing up for me.

- Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast