Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Showing a clean bottom

Showing a clean bottom

OK, calm down it's just a boat.

A couple of hours of sunshine today but a fresh wind, so I nipped down to the Fish Quay for a quick look around.

This sailing boat was tacking out to the start line so I just crossed fingers and tried a quick action shot into the sun.

Showing a clean bottom

Not perfect but it worked out better than I expected.

Ideally, I would have liked a little less space on the right but, if I retain a standard cropping ratio, any slight crop which I have tried just doesn't look right.

But it was just a quick random snap anyway.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Showing a clean bottom

Geoff

We're not used to all this sunshine at this time of year!

I wonder what the impact of underexposing the boat a bit would have been; i.e. to take back the overall brightness of the water?

It's one of those challenges, isn't it. The exposure of the boat is perfect, but it results in that very bright water.

Real Name
    Steaphany

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I wonder what the impact of underexposing the boat a bit would have been; i.e. to take back the overall brightness of the water?

It's one of those challenges, isn't it. The exposure of the boat is perfect, but it results in that very bright water.
    This is where a CPL filter would have come to the rescue. The brilliance of the water reflections could have easily been tuned down to where you want them to be, even revealing more color of the water, while maintaining the exposure of the boat.

The water is natural, it is the boat which has been adjusted brighter.

I started by reducing the water brightness but it then lost it's sparkle and became very uninteresting. Which is why I brought it back to just under over exposure.

It is just one of those problems of shooting directly into the sun. The water will never become blue from this angle.

I was mostly waiting for a more interesting scene when the boat capsized; but it managed to recover to a more level state and continue on it's way.