Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wedding HELP

Real Name
    Simon

Wedding HELP

My sister is getting married in July and not hiring a professional photographer, the closet person to a professional there will be a very keen amateur who takes wildlife and landscape photos, me! Now I have a problem, I don't like meeting new people, feel claustrophobic in crowds of people and at a wedding there will be a lots of people there. So how can I take photo's that they will be proud of having? Do I just take candid shots? Do I make the most of where someone else has asked them to stand and pose, even if I know that moving them slightly will make a better shot and not just for me? Do I act like I don't care and say screw the other people that's the shot I want I'm going to get it? You can read books, magazines or look online and there are thousands of wedding photography tips but not 1 for those people who don't like being in crowds of new people.

Thanks for any help (apologies if posted in the wrong place)

Simon

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Wedding HELP

Some while ago I went to a wedding where the groom's father bought a lot of disposable cameras, handed them out to anyone who wanted one, and afterwards collected them and processed the films. The end result was good - caught the atmosphere well, got variants on The Usual Pictures, and some great candids too.

HTH

Peter

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by proseak View Post
    Some while ago I went to a wedding where the groom's father bought a lot of disposable cameras, handed them out to anyone who wanted one, and afterwards collected them and processed the films.
    Now, that's clever. A brilliant idea.

Real Name
    Peter

We tried that with our wedding.

Just don't give the disposable cameras to your mates. You never know what ends up on film - trust me, I don't think it quite captured the atmosphere of the event.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Simon,

Do have a read of past threads on the subject.

The biggest thing you must do, and start now, is to set their expectations at a realistic level.

On a more personal level, can you set yourself some targets to slowly get yourself used to shooting in crowds?
    Start small and work up gradually, it is only about building confidence - you can do it, you just don't know it yet
    e.g. not sure whether my uk based suggestions will help (where-ever you are), but;
    start at a small tourist attraction, where there are a few others with cameras
    ~ insert other ideas here ~
    move on to say a village fete
    ~ insert other ideas here ~
    observe a wedding at the same church(?) or registry office(?)

Hope that helps and welcome to the CiC forums from ...