Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bufflehead in Flight

Real Name
    Steve

Bufflehead in Flight

Ths is a Bufflehead in flight from a pretty far distance. He was moving quickly. Alot of cropping was used. C&C welcome. Will post exif later. It is getting late and I need some zzzz's.

dsc_4840.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    james

Re: Bufflehead in Flight

They come in faster than you think...once you have camera in hand.I think your focus trailed the bird... I do that a lot, they are fast.I get better in flight shots on hawks then i do waterfowl.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

The specular reflections on the water is fighting for a lot of attention. I would love to see them darker so the bird can come out strong as a subject.

Real Name
    james

Maybe thats why I thought the water was focused behind andabove the bird.I would like to see a close up of the bird,are those white markings on his back?

Real Name
    Tim

It's a nice shot. I have a ton of shots from this distance, and I can't say that they are any better. I think at some point, you have to get lucky and hope they get closer, or you win the lottery and get a fast 400mm. I like shooting ducks because it is hard. Mallards, I consider clay pigeons, and I shoot them for practice, but species like this never let you get very close. And they don't soar like hawks or seagulls, or glide except to land. That is what makes them fun.

I have been looking for buffleheads, but so far have only seen mergansers, goldeneyes, wood ducks (one incredibly blurry shot due to very low light ) and something I have to look up (also blurry).

To me shooting ducks is like a sport, and if I feel like having duck for dinner, I just stop by the supermarket on the way home

One more comment. When shooting white birds you have to step down the exposure a little, so the whites don't blow out, but on the other hand, the black are already underexposed...

I am not sure there is a good setting to take a picture of a black and white bird in direct sun...

If anybody else has any suggestions, I would be most grateful.
    Last edited by tameigh; 1st April 2011 at 12:26 PM.