Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Trying to choose one shot. Any C&C please

Real Name
    Mike

Trying to choose one shot. Any C&C please

These were taken on the first day of spring by the roadside near where I live.

I know that they are not to the standard that I see posted here every day of the week but it illustrates the problem I have after taking a few photos of the same subject and I want to select one. How do you choose a shot from a number of same subject pictures when they are all rather similar, what do you look for?

I know that this is a subjective thing based upon personal taste, experience in composition and technical knowledge, but I'd be grateful for some comments on these pictures to give me some idea of the process.

Thanks,
    Mike

Trying to choose one shot.  Any C&C please

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Trying to choose one shot. Any C&C please

Mike

For me #3 and #4 drop out immediately. Neither has a specific point of interest. They're too confusing because there is nothing that my eye can setlle on as the main subject in the picture. If that was there, then my eye can wander around the rest of the image more comfortably.

#2 has got light background to the flowers that are fighting with them for attention. Or maybe it's better to say that the power of the flowers (because they are strong in their own right) is diluted by the very bright grass/foliage background.

In #1, there's no question about what we're being invited to look at. We've got flowers at reasonable size within teh frame (although I think they need to fill more of the frame). There's a much better tone across the image - there's nothing really bright hitting me between the eyes. But I think we have too much wood and not enough flower.

The great thing about this set and your attitude towards it, is that it's a learning opportunity. And (please take note) you have already provided the answers yourself (".... experience in composition and technical knowledge..."). So you're already identifying where your learning needs to be focused. The best thing we can do is confirm your own conclusions. Go for it.

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Trying to choose one shot. Any C&C please

Thank you Donald for that fast and helpful reply. Of course I can see the faults clearly now__after you've focused my eyes on them !
    My only comment, no, justification for the amount of wood in #1 was that it wasn't just a shot of blossom but more a contrast of the new life with the ancient timber, a sort of youth and old age thing. A bit lame but it struck me that way at the time.

Much appreciated advice, I'll try harder next time.