Thread: Canon 60D or Canoon 7D

Real Name
    Beyioku Owoyemi Michael.

Canon 60D or Canoon 7D

I'm new to photography and will want to ask for you candid advise...which is better more superior for both photography and video?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Canon 60D or Canoon 7D

Hello and welcome to CiC. Did you know that you can edit your profile and put your proper name under 'Real Name' so that it appears alongside all your posts. You'll have seen, I hope, that CiC is the sort of forum where people use their real names.

As for your question, I'm sure lots of people will come onto give you an opinion. But remember, it is only an opinion. You have to check out the reviews, test the cameras and make your own mind up.

Whilst you wait for comments, why not click on View Tag Cloud below and left of this message and click on 'camera purchase'. That will then show you a list of threads where the merits of respective cameras have previously been discussed. You'll certainly find plenty about the 7D and the 60D on there.

And ... you don't say where you are. If you're in the UK, the just-released latest edition of 'Black & White Photography' magazine is carrying a review of the 60D.

The 7D has better credentials as a camera for sports and wildlife (frame rate, AF, etc) but the 60D is lighter and cheaper and has a flip out screen. Do your priorities lie with speed or with portability?

Personally I use the 7D but got it a while back so the 60D wasn't out and I never had such a tough decision to make. However I would probably still go for the 7D as it has a 100% viewfinder and has AF microadjust (which I wouldn't want to be without if planning to use AF with long lenses, particularly 3rd party lenses like Sigma).

Real Name
    Beyioku Owoyemi Michael.

@Donald,thanks so much for your advise.
    @Andy,I'm at using it for shooting films and music video...so what do you think?

Real Name
    Brian

As Donald said, read reviews. In the end, the 7D is a better camera, though I don't know that the new 600D isn't equal on video capability? When I was camera shopping, it came down to cost vs features. If you have a fat wallet and like the larger size of the 7D, I see absolutely no reason not get it! If you prefer something smaller size and/or are interested in spending less money, you should consider other cameras. Back to cost vs features.

Real Name
    Beyioku Owoyemi Michael.

@Speedneeder,thanks so much.
    I'm looking at cost and all I want to use it for is Filmmaking in Nigeria,Africa.Do you guys have tutorials on film making?Please if you do,I need it o.

Real Name
    Bill S

I personally shoot with the 7D and really like it as a still camera. But also, like Andy, I bought it when the 60D was not available, so the question was less difficult for me. Back then, it was T1i, 50D, or 7D. Today, it is certainly a much more difficult question. In your case, I think you can also throw the T3i into the mix as it has the same sensor and articulating screen as the 60D, but a smaller size and price as well (sorry to make things more complex).

I do not use mine for video, I've tried it once, but that was about it. However, I don't think any of those cameras have continuous auto-focus in video mode, so if that is something you're concerned with and you're not already married to the Canon line, I'd definitely pay attention to that. If you're shooting video from a tripod and not moving or zooming the camera while shooting, this might not matter, but it is still something I would read up on.

Good luck choosing!

- Bill

Real Name
    Beyioku Owoyemi Michael.

Thanks ktuli,I think I'll go for the canon 60D for my career but please do anybody has any video tutorials on art of photography and film making?

Real Name
    Jim

I've not shot video with a DSLR,but I have done some research.You might give this a look before you buy a camera.
    http://www.reelseo.com/hd-video-dslr-camera/

Real Name
    Richard

I am not interested in video (having been a professional cinematographer; it's just too much like work). However, I would make sure that you are cognizant regarding audio capture when shooting video with a DSLR camera. As I understand it, there are some drawbacks to recording audio with many DSLR cameras. I would also look into the differences between shooting with a true video camera and a DSLR with video capability.

IMO, when a unit tries to do two different jobs, it usually cuts corners on both ends. Like a corkscrew and electric drill combination. Not the best for pulling corks from wine bottles or drilling holes in wood...

ITOH... If you use any type of external stabilizer such as the Steadicam or another type. The articulating LCD would be a big plus.

BTW... Have you looked into the video capability of the T3i? I haven't, but I would if I wanted to shoot video with a DSLR - especially shooting in the boondocks. You could get two T3i cameras for the cost of a 7D and nearly two for the cost of a 60D. I certainly would not do any traveling without backup gear.

Real Name
    Eduardo Ribeiro

owoyemw, check the T3i, if I recall the review, it has continuous auto focus on video mode ans as written above is much cheaper than the 7D.
    rgs

Real Name
    Beyioku Owoyemi Michael.

thanks guys,I really appreciate your help.God bless.