Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bicycle city

Real Name
    Jeroen

Bicycle city

I don't know that much about the rest of the world, but it seems that The Netherlands are famous worldwide for it's bicycles. For students it's number one transport device for sure.

Quite often I wander around Eindhoven after college to see what I can come up with. Here are some recent street shots:

#1 Call it a Day

Bicycle city

#2 Artists Entry

Bicycle city

#3 Cyclists

Bicycle city

Re: Bicycle city

Wow, Jeroen! You're not kidding - they do look very popular!

#2 is very interesting. What's she doing? Is she blowing her nose or eating something? Anyway, is it too bad about the door, I wonder? Anyway, I really like it.

I love #3, too. The light is gorgeous! Perhaps, it's not something that others often take a picture of but an interesting place to pass through, nonetheless? Do you know what I mean?

Real Name
    Tim

Dag Jeroen,
    Very nice. My mother was born in Eindhoven. I will hook her up with your photostream.
    - Tim

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Very impressive set, Jeroen.

#1 is a good image, but is not so strong as the other two, in my opinion. #2 & #3 are superb. The strong lines in #2 and the strong tones, from black through to white, in #3 make them very, very good images. #2 is an excellent composition.

My compliments on your work.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

I like all 3! I don't have to describe why, if I like, I like. LOL! That's how good these shots are for me.

rob marshall

#2 looks almost menacing with that huge structure against the wall. I like #3 the best. The contrast of well-lit figures on the left and the silhouetted ones on the right is very intriguing. You should try Cambridge for bicycles and students - I think it might have the edge.

Real Name
    Jeroen

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Perhaps, it's not something that others often take a picture of but an interesting place to pass through, nonetheless? Do you know what I mean?
    I know what you mean and I really like to do something that's different.

Quote Originally Posted by tameigh View Post
    Dag Jeroen,
    Very nice. My mother was born in Eindhoven. I will hook her up with your photostream.
    - Tim
    Dag Tim
    I hope your mother will like my photostream. Of course comments are very welcome.

Thank you all for your comments. It's great to see (read) that exactly the things that attracted me to take the shots appear in your comments. I'm glad you like my work and I'll keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    I don't know that much about the rest of the world, but it seems that The Netherlands are famous worldwide for it's bicycles. For students it's number one transport device for sure.

Quite often I wander around Eindhoven after college to see what I can come up with. Here are some recent street shots:
    I've been 3 times in Netherlands, the first time I was a teen and all the bikes I seen impressed me much. I enjoyed also very much riding bycicles in the dutch country side, and I rode a lot: when finally came home I've forgot how to use the "conventional" brakes, since in Netherlands I rented only bikes with the "counter-pedal" brake system!! I'm not joking!
    the last time I' ve been there is the last november, a few days in Heindoven for job: I envied your "bycicle mentality" . here in italy the cycling road in the city are very few and bad mantained people doesn't like to use bike and often it is considered a means of transport for poors... they think is better to flood the city with expensive cars.
    sorry for this vent but I'm a bike supporter (for sport and for city life) since with all weather condition I ride 8km 4 times a day to go to work, and I'm attending WWF and other associations to improve bike use in my city...
    perhaps the growth of oil price will help us

about your pictures, I love the 3rd!
    only the two man in the dark in the center right perhaps I would like they aren't there...
    bye
    nicola

Real Name
    Ghanim

#2 in my opinion is the best.

Real Name
    Elise

Jeroen, I too like them all, especially #2. I wonder with #1 if a different crop would focus it better -- a portrait crop focusing on the left side, or a panorama-type thing that would take much of the top off. There's just so much going on in that picture that I think the force of it is kind of drained away. I'm not sure my crop ideas would do the trick, though.

Real Name
    Jeroen

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    Jeroen, I too like them all, especially #2. I wonder with #1 if a different crop would focus it better -- a portrait crop focusing on the left side, or a panorama-type thing that would take much of the top off. There's just so much going on in that picture that I think the force of it is kind of drained away. I'm not sure my crop ideas would do the trick, though.
    Hi Elize,

I considered cropping for this #1. I tried several (I think also the once you mentioned above) but none of them seem to work. So this version has a minor crop applied.

I liked the different lines in the scene (vertical as well as converging horizontal towards the left and right). It appealed to me that despite of (or in cooperation with) the lines, the man still draws the attention and stands out from the rest, but I also agree this doesn't happen as strongly as in #2 and #3. In this case I don't think this can be approved with cropping, since you would loose too much and gain not enough. So blame the composition and not the cropping .

Real Name
    Paul

Love the second image.

Excellent work Jeroen. I am a fan of your b/w stuff. The 2nd image is a classic and you certainly have a knack of spotting the shot. The only tiny thing that distracts me with this (god I must be getting old) is the residue of the poster on the door. Third shot is just great. The silhouetted figures on the right really add depth to the whole vista.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    The only tiny thing that distracts me with this (god I must be getting old)
    He's getting old!

"now what was it I came into this thread for?"

Real Name
    Jeroen

Old or not, your comment makes sense. It's weird how I didn't noticed a detail like that and now I can't look anywhere else. I'll do an edit to see what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I am a fan of your b/w stuff.
    Well... thank you very much for that.