Thread: Help with Gorilla Photo

Real Name
    Ian Guild

Help with Gorilla Photo

Hi folks, I was after some help with an image. I was recently in Rwanda and was lucky enough to see the gorillas. The silver back sat up at the start and looked at me. Unfortunately I cocked up - I was set to over expose because it was a dark object in a dark area (jungle) and had recently had my camera (An Olympus E-520 recently upgraded to the E-5) on spot metering. Unfortunately the gorilla was in the sun and in the position for a couple of seconds so my shot is over exposed badly, I can get the features better but the surrounds is very bright. Yes I probaly should have bracketed the shot, yes I should have adjusted my settings but in my defence I had seconds in time but no chance of ever repeating it as he turned around, laid down and largely went to sleep. I have the raw image and I will attempt to add the adjusted image I have done - Elements 8. I would appreciate any help with my mistake.

ig-silverback1a.jpg

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 23rd March 2011 at 10:24 AM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Help with Gorilla Photo

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Hi folks, I was after some help with an image. I was recently in Rwanda and was lucky enough to see the gorillas. The silver back sat up at the start and looked at me. Unfortunately I cocked up - I was set to over expose because it was a dark object in a dark area (jungle) and had recently had my camera (An Olympus E-520 recently upgraded to the E-5) on spot metering. Unfortunately the gorilla was in the sun and in the position for a couple of seconds so my shot is over exposed badly, I can get the features better but the surrounds is very bright. Yes I probaly should have bracketed the shot, yes I should have adjusted my settings but in my defence I had seconds in time but no chance of ever repeating it as he turned around, laid down and largely went to sleep. I have the raw image and I will attempt to add the adjusted image I have done - Elements 8. I would appreciate any help with my mistake.

Ian
    Hi Ian,

After you make exposure adjustments in Camera Raw you can fix the remaining background issues using the adjust highlights/shadows function, most expert editors go directly to levels adjustments.

Whatever you do with this image, Ian, is going to be a bit tricky because the exposure on the Gorilla's face is about correct.

If you can't get it correct with simple editing of brightness/exposure/recovery controls, I would be tempted to make 2 Raw Conversions with different exposures then combine the two with a bit of 'clever' use of layers and masks.

Real Name
    Ian Guild

When I check the settings in the shot according to the image it was 3 stops over, but I only had it set on 1 stop. I think the difference was the spot metering which then over exposed it a bit more. Thanks for the suggestions I will try both and let you know how I get on - I still have about 2000 photos (5 weeks in Africa generated 3700 photos!) to sort out but this one is important to me if I can fix it.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Ian,

If you'd like to send it to me, I'll see if I can repair it for you.

Send me a PM if you'd like the address.

Real Name

PS: I'm reminded of a true story concerning a friend of mine ...

many many years ago he was at the zoo - with his camera. Camera was an old film model that had a detatchable soft case.

Friend detatches the case - puts it on the ground (between the inner safety bars, and outer safety rails -- where he shouldn't have been in the first place!) -- and backs up to frame the shot.

What he sees in the viewfinder is the gorilla reaching through the bars about to grab the soft case - so he makes a grab for it too - and a little tug-o-war ensued ...

... well technically anyway. Apparantly it didn't last very long ... my friend was a strong enough sort of chap, but going one-on-one with a gorilla was a bit like a tug match between a tractor and a ride-on lawn mower. I think his final comment was "F*** those things are strong"! (No kidding!).

Real Name
    Ian Guild

I would not have fought him, he was massive, 250 kilos or so! One woman was told not to move as the Silverback had come round behind her and was in the bush behind her! He was literally breathing down her neck, she could feel his breath. The thing was being within a couple of metres of them was not scary and we never felt at risk, I think they might have just been bored with another group of bloody tourists watching them.

Ian

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I would not have fought him, he was massive, 250 kilos or so! One woman was told not to move as the Silverback had come round behind her and was in the bush behind her!
    They let humans and animals mingle? Loads of fun when the animals are in a good mood, but seems rather dangerous if they're having a "bad day".