Page 22 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Macro flower photographs

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Macro flower photographs

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    Macro flower photographs
    I agree with Katy, the light and dark contrast is very nice.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    I agree with Katy, the light and dark contrast is very nice.
    Thank you Katy and Peter. Yes it has indeed had the PS treatment as you can see from the original below ...
    Macro flower photographs
    The crop is obvious, but I decreased the luminosity of the greens and purples, added a vignette and some selective unsharp mask on the flower, just to make it pop a little. The light was great, being late afternoon sun.

Real Name
    Peter

Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs

Fern (monilophytes)

Real Name
    Peter

Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs

Some variants of daucus carota (QAL) as far as I can make out
    Last edited by Letrow; 19th August 2011 at 07:35 AM.

Real Name
    Wendy

Very nice Peter, I like 3 & 4. I take it Daucus carota is the name for Queen Annes Lace (0r Wild carrot) The pink ones are interesting. I took some shots of what I think was pink Queen Annes Lace last week. I had never seen a coloured version before and now you have posted some too. #3 is very striking for both the colour and the sharpness of the leaves around the flower and the nice background to set them off.

Wendy

Real Name
    Wendy

Here are 3 more from the garden.

#1. Sunflower: the plant is about 7' tall and FINALLY produced a flower.
    Macro flower photographs

#2. Another Red Rose after the rain. I love this Rose Bush, the blood red colour is enhanced after the rain and I have to photograph every bloom that shows up in every type of light and weather.
    Macro flower photographs

#3. Coreopsis: Late afternoon hazy sun and shallow DOF gave me the look I was going for in this one
    Macro flower photographs

Thanks for looking C&C always welcome

Wendy

Real Name
    Dr Nasseem Michael Malouf

Katy,

Its been a while since Ive been on the site. Busy learning. I miss you guys. I have not been photogaphing bugs lately as we are hibernating at present- cold. I guess you would know what that means!!! Ive been learning Lighting, Strobist photography, portraits and reediting some of my landscapeas using ACR. Brilliant program to bring life into a lusterless photo for those who know how to use that adjustment brush, gradients etc. When those bugs start emerging Ill try and get them expressing some sort of emotion- afterall is that not we do as photographers. You just made my photographic endeavour even harder! I have been reading your blog and you certainly are a breath of fresh air. Just a delight. Please address me as Nasseem (AKA as a saharan breeze). Thank you.

Nasseem.

Real Name
    Bobo

Not in the same league as you guys but here are a few taken with an extension tube attached to the zoom.
    Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs

Hi Bobo

Keep it up! That 2nd one is lovely. I like the rich creaminess & the green-yellow colours. The composition is just right for me. You may find that you are seeing parts of a flower or object, therefore that is what you would photograph best for the moment. If you know what I mean. Smaller detail, rather than the whole thing.

For the 3rd pic, the light background I find is too distracting, though the colour is good. I often find I cannot get the shot I want because of the background.

Cheers
    Nihia

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Here are 3 more from the garden.

#1. Sunflower: the plant is about 7' tall and FINALLY produced a flower.
    Macro flower photographs

#2. Another Red Rose after the rain. I love this Rose Bush, the blood red colour is enhanced after the rain and I have to photograph every bloom that shows up in every type of light and weather.
    Macro flower photographs

#3. Coreopsis: Late afternoon hazy sun and shallow DOF gave me the look I was going for in this one
    Macro flower photographs

Thanks for looking C&C always welcome

Wendy
    Hi Wendy,

You asked for C&C;

#1 - I think the white vignette is too broad on this one, it is encroaching on the sharp parts we want to look at

#2 - it works better here, although it does tend to 'float' in mid-air, at least the parts we want to see are nice and contrasty and I like the details in the corners with wet leaves and of course the colour of the bloom

#3 - is the strongest image for me, it might be a tad blown (lacking detail in the yellows) and the vertical blade of grass in lower right corner is a bit distracting.

I hope that was helpful,

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Wendy,

You asked for C&C;
    yes I did and I'm always happy to hear from you.

#1 - I think the white vignette is too broad on this one, it is encroaching on the sharp parts we want to look at
    You always catch me when I try to cheat. The vignette was supposed to distract from those big leaves bottom right that I could not reach to move out of the way. Yes, of course a different angle might have been better, but everywhere else there are trees in the background and I wanted the sky. Anyway point taken. Methinks I might be getting carried away with the vignette thing on the florals. , but I do like the effect in a lot of cases.

#2 - it works better here, although it does tend to 'float' in mid-air, at least the parts we want to see are nice and contrasty and I like the details in the corners with wet leaves and of course the colour of the bloom
    Thanks, I noticed the "floaty" feeling, but decided that I liked it so tried to emphasize that and the colour.

#3 - is the strongest image for me, it might be a tad blown (lacking detail in the yellows) and the vertical blade of grass in lower right corner is a bit distracting.
    Thanks Dave, this is my favourite too. I like it as is, but would agree that a bit more detail or texture in the key flower would be nice. It's hard to get that soft dreamy look and still keep the detail though. In this one I was more concerned with keeping it soft looking. Maybe by next year I will be able to get both. As for that little blade of grass, now that you mention it, I can fix that.

I hope that was helpful,
    Of course, as always!!!! It's good to see you here again. You don't show up often enough.

Thanks again
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by maloufn View Post
    Katy,

Its been a while since Ive been on the site. Busy learning. I miss you guys. I have not been photogaphing bugs lately as we are hibernating at present- cold. I guess you would know what that means!!! Ive been learning Lighting, Strobist photography, portraits and reediting some of my landscapeas using ACR. Brilliant program to bring life into a lusterless photo for those who know how to use that adjustment brush, gradients etc. When those bugs start emerging Ill try and get them expressing some sort of emotion- afterall is that not we do as photographers. You just made my photographic endeavour even harder! I have been reading your blog and you certainly are a breath of fresh air. Just a delight. Please address me as Nasseem (AKA as a saharan breeze). Thank you.

Nasseem.
    I am SO glad that I came into this thread, today. I've been looking forward to it but have been waiting for a moment with enough time. I might have missed this lovely comment... thank you, Nasseem! I was very happy to see you in the recent "food photography" thread. (Also, I'm sorry that you've had to twist my arm so hard to call you by your first name.)

It's fun to hear what you're working on, lately. Winter - especially late winter - even, without the snow - is such a good time to percolate ideas. I've just been gifted a 105mm lens and have, suddenly, been very absorbed with spotting bugs and finding out what makes them 'tic'. (Drattedly, dreadful pun. Sorry!) However, what is good about you being in the southern hemisphere is that you can keep this thread alive while we're frozen icicles 'up' here. Actually, the sight of flowers, in the winter will keep us alive, too. Really!

Now, if only I could get my red rose to emote and smile on me like Wendy's does for her....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Not in the same league as you guys but here are a few taken with an extension tube attached to the zoom.
    Pshaw! These are great! Number two is wonderful. Welcome to the thread!

Nihia has already given you good advice. I would just ask, what aperture did you use on these (sorry, I haven't figured out how to dig out a person's exif data, yet.) It seems to me that if you had just a bit smaller aperture, then, you'd have the whole thing tack sharp. In the second one (which I really do love), it would help if those closer petals were sharper - they're so prominent and almost want to stop me from entering the frame and having a good look around.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Macro flower photographs
    Oh, sigh....!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs

Some variants of daucus carota as far as I can make out
    Hi, Peter! Alright, I'm giving up on picking my favorite one. It is - it IS Queen Anne's Lace. which I've figured out this year that they call it 'cow parsley' in the UK; so, now, I know what all my British blogging friends were going on about. Now, also, I've learned something new. One year, in my sister's garden, she didn't remove her carrots and, the next year, she had the most beautiful large flowers that looked just like these - but bigger. The lovely thing is that I'm not allergic to carrots but I am to QAL!!! This explains an awful lot!

The only two thoughts that I have are, one: the background is always the same for me, too - that stripey bokeh of the grass from the field that it's growing in. Two: could some of those photos be a bit "brighter"? (Now, my screen isn't calibrated; so, take my advice with a 'grain of salt' - actually, you should just always take my advice with a 'grain of salt'.....)

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Hi, Peter! Alright, I'm giving up on picking my favorite one. It is - it IS Queen Anne's Lace. which I've figured out this year that they call it 'cow parsley' in the UK; so, now, I know what all my British blogging friends were going on about. Now, also, I've learned something new. One year, in my sister's garden, she didn't remove her carrots and, the next year, she had the most beautiful large flowers that looked just like these - but bigger. The lovely thing is that I'm not allergic to carrots but I am to QAL!!! This explains an awful lot!

The only two thoughts that I have are, one: the background is always the same for me, too - that stripey bokeh of the grass from the field that it's growing in. Two: could some of those photos be a bit "brighter"? (Now, my screen isn't calibrated; so, take my advice with a 'grain of salt' - actually, you should just always take my advice with a 'grain of salt'.....)
    I have to think about that bokeh. It is quite noticeable in the two last ones especially. Not sure what I can do about though yet. Maybe something in Gimp. The way I photograph makes it impossible to improvise with a background (paper or such) that I would take along, so it has to happen in postprocessing.
    Normally with my macro photos it would be fine, because the flowers are often tiny and as a result the bokeh is much, much vaguer. But the QAL is quite big, so...

Real Name
    Nina

Primary Colors

Day Lily shot with Tamron 70-300 Macro Zoom f:9 @ 1/200 ISO 400

Macro flower photographs

Real Name
    Joey

orsRe: Primary Col

ORCHIDS....D3100 NIKKOR VR 55-200mm f/4 @ 1/160 ISO100

Macro flower photographs
    Macro flower photographs

C&C ARE ALWAYS WELCOME....

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Re: Flowers

Some I took from a visit to Mt. Rainier last week

Macro flower photographs
    purple flowers

Macro flower photographs
    purple flower

Macro flower photographs
    red flower

Macro flower photographs
    yellow flower by gmontjr, on Flickr

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Flowers

Macro flower photographs

Looks like one of the Asteraceae family. Not sure which one though. it is not the common dandelion
    Last edited by Letrow; 23rd August 2011 at 10:38 AM.

Page 22 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast