Cat

head of the family

The background is a bit blurred.
    Iīm just a beginner....

momo.jpg

greetings,
    Bridget
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 8th February 2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Insert Image Inline

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget46 View Post
    head of the family

The background is a bit blurred.
    Iīm just a beginner....
    Hi Bridget - great first effort

First question - I see that the image has been down-sized and is suffering a loss of quality on the walls. First thing I need to work out is if it's doing this because of the quality settings that you have set on the camera, or if you've lowering the quality before you upload to here - can you tell me a little bit about the processes you went through from when you took the shot to when it appeared here?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Bridget - great first effort

First question - I see that the image has been down-sized and is suffering a loss of quality on the walls. First thing I need to work out is if it's doing this because of the quality settings that you have set on the camera, or if you've lowering the quality before you upload to here - can you tell me a little bit about the processes you went through from when you took the shot to when it appeared here?

Hi Colin!

A friend of mine scanned the photo into the computer. The original was a very big size, so I down-size it. The camera was an old automatic with film. I guess itīs not a good quality. I use this antiquarian fossil not very often. The photo here appears like I resize it. The cat is sitting on my cupbord in kitchen and the walls are white and I use flash fotography as I take the photo. I have no idea maybe it depends on the reflection from the lightning.

Is it possible to edit the background with Photo-Software Programs. I only had a Freeware-Program like PhotoFiltre on my Computer.

If I would like to buy a good Digtal Camera ( not too much expensive) which one would you recommend.

Thanks so much for your helping hand.

greetings
    Brigitte

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

I think he's planning something Bridget!

Erm, you're cat, not Colin!

Although you can never be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelseablue View Post
    I think he's planning something Bridget!

Erm, you're cat, not Colin!

Although you can never be sure.

Yes, thatīs true! With cats you never can be sure..

greetings,
    Bridget

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget46 View Post
    Hi Colin!
    Hi By the way, is your name spelt "Bridget" or "Brigitte"?

A friend of mine scanned the photo into the computer. The original was a very big size, so I down-size it. The camera was an old automatic with film. I guess itīs not a good quality. I use this antiquarian fossil not very often. The photo here appears like I resize it. The cat is sitting on my cupbord in kitchen and the walls are white and I use flash fotography as I take the photo. I have no idea maybe it depends on the reflection from the lightning.
    Ah - I suspect it's probably lost quality when you down-sized it. Do you know what settings you used?

Is it possible to edit the background with Photo-Software Programs. I only had a Freeware-Program like PhotoFiltre on my Computer.
    Yes - but we might need the help of some of the others here as I'm only familiar with Photoshop which - unfortunately - isn't free (darn it!).

If I would like to buy a good Digtal Camera ( not too much expensive) which one would you recommend.
    Hmmm tough one - will need more information from you. Probably the first things to decide will be (a) how much you want to spend?, and (b) whether you prefer a compact type camera with a build-in lens or a more versatile (and more expensive) SLR type camera that you can change lenses on?

Any initial thoughts?

Hi Colin!

My name spelled Brigitte. I use the english translation of my name Bridget. If you wanna say Brigitte you probably will have sooner or later a big knot in your tongue.

Sorry, I canīt remember which I settings have I have used. The Photo is since a long while at my computer.

I donīt wanna spend to much money at beginning. (less then 100 Euro). I need a camera who can made in a proper quality of photos for trying out if I`m talented.
    I guess I would prefer a compact camera for now. Different lenses and using camera settings itīs a job for an advanced Photographer. For a beginner it needs a lot professional instructions how to use all this different typs of lenses and the camera settings.

greetings
    Bridget
    (Brigitte )

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Brigitte,

I have always felt a name is a name and doesn't require any translation.
    So if I were you I would just use your real name, as will I.

Good to see you joining in,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Brigitte,

Good to see you joining in,
    Hi Dave!

Thanks for welcome me.
    You are right, so I will use me real name.

greetings,
    Brigitte

Real Name

Well put "rustyshutter71" (sorry Dave, I couldn't resist!)

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Well put "rustyshutter71" (sorry Dave, I couldn't resist!)
    Ha!
    I wonder what that translates to?

What can I say, when I joined in the fairly early days, most seemed to be using typical forum names rather than real ones like yourself.

Tell you what; why not call me "Dave"?

Real Name

Ha!
    I wonder what that translates to?

What can I say, when I joined in the fairly early days, most seemed to be using typical forum names rather than real ones like yourself.

Tell you what; why not call me "Dave"?
    Hi Dave,

Who says it's my real name? ... just kidding!

I dunno - the older I get, the less using my real name bothers me - although I have to be careful what I say; no doubt it'll bite me in the bum someday. Biggest problem I have with all the user names is trying to remember which one belongs to which person - I've never really liked saying the likes of "Hi AquaPurse3.141592654" - rather get to know them as people

I don't know if "chrioni" sounds like a name.but it is actually a real name and not a code.well it's my name.i've been using my 'nickname' for the longest time (at home,in school, office,etc) since chrioni is kind of hard to pronounce but i agree with you colin, 'the older I get, the less using my real name bothers me'

Real Name
    Thierry

hello Bridget,

Sorry for my english. the fact that te wall is blurred is not a real problem on this picture.

1°) I suggest you to take distance wit the cat. You are too much under it.

2°) be careful w/ flash the white part of the cat is what we call "burnt". With distance you will certainly have more diffusion of the beam. I believe it exists some small devices called diffuser. I am quite sure sch device is very cheap.

Hope my few words are helpful.

regards

Thierry

Hi Brigitte, I'm mainly familiar with photoshop too, but have (or still do sometimes) use free software such as GIMP http://www.gimp.org/

I know there is a windows based version too but I've only got the linux one but I'd imagine they are the same. http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

I'm sure other people can recommend more free image editing software too. If you want help resizing in gimp then just let me know. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by tb72 View Post
    hello Bridget,

Sorry for my english. the fact that te wall is blurred is not a real problem on this picture.

1°) I suggest you to take distance wit the cat. You are too much under it.

2°) be careful w/ flash the white part of the cat is what we call "burnt". With distance you will certainly have more diffusion of the beam. I believe it exists some small devices called diffuser. I am quite sure sch device is very cheap.

Hope my few words are helpful.

regards

Thierry

Dear Thierry!

You english is fine. Iīm from Gemany and struggle with the language very often.
    Thanks so much all suggestions are very helpful for me.
    Yeah, it is true the Photo is close up view and the distance to the cat is very near.
    In future I will be aware because of the the flash-light.

Merci de votre recommandation.
    Un beau jour.

regards,
    Brigitte
    Last edited by Brigitte; 16th February 2009 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Hi Brigitte, I'm mainly familiar with photoshop too, but have (or still do sometimes) use free software such as GIMP http://www.gimp.org/

I know there is a windows based version too but I've only got the linux one but I'd imagine they are the same. http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

I'm sure other people can recommend more free image editing software too. If you want help resizing in gimp then just let me know. Hope this helps.

Dear Davey!

Photoshop is the best but very expensive. I know Gimp but I never try it out.
    I will download it and tell you how it works.

Thanks very much.

regards,
    Brigitte