Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Grand Canyon Sunrise

Grand Canyon Sunrise

For some time, I have been fascinated by viewing Galen Rowell's mountainous pictures, and wanted to get some chance to take pictures on mountains and canyons.

In November 2008 I went to Grand Canyon (South Rim) and stayed there two nights. I didn't get good shots in the first morning because I was not so familiar with the location, also the light condition was not ideal. But I identified one location that I thought would be good for a sunrise view. So the second early morning, I got there and waited for the light. Luckily it turned out to be a quite special sunrise, though it just lasted less than 10 minutes, I managed to take the following picture - its color was not so often in that season as other people told me.

grandcanyon-22.jpg

Shooting information:
    Camera: 400D
    Lens: 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
    Aperture: 11.0
    Focal length: 17.0mm
    Shutter time: 3s
    ISO: 100
    Filter: 2-stop ND grad (Hard)

Thanks for your comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 7th February 2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Insert Image Inline

Re: Grand Canyon Sunrise

First of all..WOW!
    A magic location with spectacular valley view and well portrayed in your shot.
    I must ask, though, is this colour real or enhhanced?
    If not, it is amazingly red!
    I hope you got a few more pics in that wonderful light.

rrox,

Yes, the color is real, no color saturation was applied as any enhance would be too much.

Yan Zhang

That is a super shot. It makes me envious. I live about five or six hours north of the Grand Canyon. I have a trip to canyon lands and arches national park planned in about a month. That is only about four and one half hours south of my home.

Theron

Theron,

Good to know you are living so closer to the canyons (I live in Sydney Australia), so you would have many chances to visit there. I lost my driver's license in Phoenix last time, so I had to take Open Road Tour bus to get Grand Canyon. Here is another picture I took in the afternoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Chris

mostly just jealous of spectacular location, colour and the shooting position, but wonder if it would be worth squeezing a little more detail into (or is out of?) the bottom right and far wall? Not leson 1 PP, but could be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yan Zhang View Post
    Theron,

Good to know you are living so closer to the canyons (I live in Sydney Australia), so you would have many chances to visit there. I lost my driver's license in Phoenix last time, so I had to take Open Road Tour bus to get Grand Canyon. Here is another picture I took in the afternoon.
    If you ever come back again give me a holler. If my schedule permitted we could take some shots together.

Theron

Good colorful shot Yan.

Dear all,

Theron: I like to come back to Grand Canyon if possible, and will let you know if I come.

That´s a very amazing photo and the colours (light) are fantastic.

greetings,
    Bridget