Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First portrait with D90

Real Name
    Randy

First portrait with D90

This is my first attempt of a portrait with my better half while celebrating our 30th. WE were out of town in Branson Mo. shopping when I dragged her out of a shop to try this. I used a 50mm f1/8, 1/640 at 200iso. My wife didn't like how close I was for fear of showing to much detail so I only got a few shots. I focused on the high part of the neck to soften the face, per request or should say threat and shot wide open and fast for low dop. There was no PP work done. This was done before I started Colin's School of Portraiture so I have a reference point for improvement. I mostly shoot indoor sport's so this is a new can of worms for me but I thought it will give me a better understanding and make me a better photographer. Hope I didn't ramble on too much, any critique is welcome.

Randy

Tracey.jpg

Re: First portrait with D90

From that angle, Randy, whatever you did by way of a quick shot was bound to be difficult.

The sun gives a good tint to her hair but leaves the face very dull. One answer, given a bit of 'thinking time', would have been to use flash (Fill flash) to brighten her face. But even that can take a few trial shots before you get the flash amount correct (flash compensation setting).

However, I think a bit of careful selective editing can save this photo, although it won't be perfect.

Real Name
    Randy

Thanks Geoff, The more I read "Colin's Tutorial" the more I realize this wasn't composed very well and your right about the bad angle. With the sun as low as is was, I thought the light wouldn't be that strong. If she faced the light a little would that have given better color or am I no where in the park.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    From that angle, Randy, whatever you did by way of a quick shot was bound to be difficult.

The sun gives a good tint to her hair but leaves the face very dull. One answer, given a bit of 'thinking time', would have been to use flash (Fill flash) to brighten her face. But even that can take a few trial shots before you get the flash amount correct (flash compensation setting).

However, I think a bit of careful selective editing can save this photo, although it won't be perfect.

If you had used a bit of flash, Randy, I think it would have worked reasonably well.

But don't give up on that photo; I think that selective editing will make a difference.

OK then, here is a very quick edit to show the sort of things which can be done; but it would work better with the original.

First portrait with D90

I can't do anything about the grumpy expression though. But I've left the photo a bit on the blue side because I though it matched the mood!
    Last edited by Geoff F; 15th March 2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: photo added

Real Name
    Randy

Thanks again Geoff, and yes I understand the fill flash application. Your recovery of picture was good, and it did match the mood perfectly

Randy

Real Name
    hashim

i agree on using fill in flash to light the face or use a reflector to the right to reflect some light from the sun to the face.also the composition has to be adjusted.the more an object inside a frame is closer to the any side or corner of the outer frame the more we feel it is pulled more strongly to it by some optical gravitylike virtual force.in the above composition,the face is too near to the right side with furthermore the right hand being cut,both these aspects make us feel that the portrait is being pulled to the right side to an extent of being thrown out of the frame creating in the viewer of the photo a bad feeling.i feel there is a squeezing or not enough distance or space in front of the eyes and between the whole lady and its right side and this is making me feel a tightning in her chest and hands as if she is pressing herself on a wall to the right.
    Last edited by hashim; 17th March 2011 at 12:39 AM. Reason: i made mistakes in writing my thread