Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Trying some things

Real Name
    Summer

Trying some things

Hi, This is my first sharing post....so try not to be TOO critical :b I wasnt trying to be too artsy with these, just trying to play with different settings and try to capture a sharper, more detailed shot. It just so happened that the closest subject was my dog cookie, and shes pretty lazy so it was a good chance to not have to worry about movement haha Anyways, here they are....how did I do, and what can I do differently? i'm using a nikon L110 and i'm TRYING to learn about the iso and exposure etc. but honestly, I dont know much, yet. That's where you guys come in. Teach me your ways!!!

Trying some things
    Trying some things
    Trying some things

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Trying some things

Hi Summer and welcome to CiC,

Good to see you posting images and Cookie is a great subject. I can see you have used the flash on the camera and this has created bright spots (or burnt out) detail on poor old Cookie’s face, which is very apparent in #3. So I would turn off the flash so it does not fire automatically.

The contrast between Cookie her blanket is distracting. Black dog on black couch really accentuates her eyes but the white is distracting. So next time you might pinch her blanket (tell her you needed to wash it or something) and have another go. I am sure you will see a difference.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Summer

Hello from me as well. I agree with Peter - switch the flash off. Flash is a whole new learning exercise, once you have got all the fundamentals about exposure without flash. So, tell yourself that you're going to set aside learning about flash until a later date.

Have you read the tutorials here on CiC, particularly the ones on exposure and camera metering? Once you do feel you understand these things, you will taken several significant steps forward in your learning.

Real Name
    Summer

Thank you. The problem I have without flash is that the pictures tend to come up extremely blurred. This is what I'm trying to avoid. The lighting in my house, especially my livin room where I took these sucks to say the least. I am going to snap a few more of the next dog who lays down (there are five here so good chances for photos) and see what i can do w/o my flash. Thank you

The danger of not using flash is that you may end up with too long a shutter speed which causes blur either from camera shake or subject movement. But you should be able to increase the ISO to 800 without too many other problems which should help.

Real Name
    Ghanim

Yes I agree on the above comments and would add that even the subject of the photos is not strong