Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Waking up

Real Name
    Jim

Waking up

I was out in the woods this morning enjoying the fresh snow and saw these three whitetails bedded down.I was able to get within 10 yards to get some shots.I'm pretty happy with the outcome.I tried moving my position to get a clearer shot on the 2 on the right ,but I spooked them.
    Waking up
    Last edited by Jim B.; 1st February 2009 at 02:26 PM.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Re: Waking up

Nice shot JVB. I do love a walk in fresh snow - after my walk it can go away, thank you. This shot illustrates why it's always good to have your camera at hand. There is often "luck" involved in a good photograph but when you are prepared with good equipment and knowhow, luck becomes less important. The deer look really snug in their winter coats.

Just for fun, you might try for a little more contrast and clone the straw out that's going up the middle deer's nose. It's a good shot but somehow the straw distracts me.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Jim,

I agree - well done. I really haven't tried shooting wild animals (I guess that kids don't count!). What camera / lens did you use?

Real Name
    Chris

a nice trio!

BTW a flare hood is also quite good for keeping snow and rain off the front & expect you know to protect the top a bit

Real Name
    Jim

Thanks for the comments,Chuck.My PP leaves much to be desired.I'll give it a go and repost later.

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Colin,

I haven't done much kid photography.I think wildlife is easier to deal with.
    I was using a Canon 50D and a 300 f/4 IS.Taken at f/7.1 ISO 800.
    Jim

Real Name
    Jim

Thanks Chris.I wore a coat that is a bit big for me so that I could keep the equipment protected when idle.I also wore a ballcap to give some protection to the camera.This is the first time I have done any photo work in less than ideal weather.I use hoods on all my lenses.I haven't done any research on lens coats.Would that give me some protection from weather?Or are they designed for gripping purposes?
    Jim

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Chuck,

I edited the original. Boosted contrast, saturation and removed the straw from the deer's nose.Do the changes work?Should I drop back on the saturation?
    I appreciate your input.
    Jim

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Hello Jim,

I missed the original but what I'm seeing now I like very much. Just wish I could wander out the door into a scene like this! Idylic.

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Mark,

I have added the original photo.I have 20 acres of woods right out my back door.We have had more snow in the past week here than we have had in the last 7 years, totaled.The weather, in addition to the deer population rise in my area, has made it possible for me to find them easily.My guess is there is at least 25 to 30 out there.I have only seen 3 bucks and haven't been able to photograph them.The bucks are extremely alert.I recently retired and have been able to get out and hike just about everyday.I'm having a great time!
    Thanks for your comment.
    Jim

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    I edited the original. Boosted contrast, saturation and removed the straw from the deer's nose.Do the changes work?Should I drop back on the saturation?
    Hi Jim,

Looking at both images on my profiled screen at work I'd have to say that the levels / contrast adjustments are perfect, but it does look just a touch oversaturated. Keep in mind that when you increase the level of a colour the saturation moves slightly towards being a bit more washed out - but the opposite also applies in that if you lower the levels slightly (as would have happened when you effectively raised your black clipping point) (or steepened the contrast curve - not sure how you did it), and colours can appear more saturated - so possibly a levels adjustment and saturation adjustment have combined, giving you "more than you bargained on".

By any chance, dod you do the saturation boost first?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Keep in mind that when you increase the level of a colour the saturation moves slightly towards being a bit more washed out - but the opposite also applies in that if you lower the levels slightly (as would have happened when you effectively raised your black clipping point) (or steepened the contrast curve - not sure how you did it), and colours can appear more saturated - so possibly a levels adjustment and saturation adjustment have combined, giving you "more than you bargained on".
    I got caught by this effect last year, couldn't figure (at first) why my colours and saturation varied so much from one shot to the next. I'm wise to it now and do any saturation tweak almost last (before final sharpening).

And yes, I'd like that in my backyard!

Keep posting Jim (and thanks for adding the original back in)

Regards, Dave
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 31st January 2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: thanks for addiing original

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Colin,

I raised the black point and then added some saturation before I sharpened and converted to jpeg.I don't have a calibrated monitor,but I guess mine is close enough because I'm seeing pretty much what you stated.I thought I might have gone a bit "over the top" with my edit.I'll give it another go.I have been reading a lot about processing and understand a good bit of it,but have much to learn.I really appreciate the critique and the help.
    Jim

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Hi Colin,

I don't have a calibrated monitor,but I guess mine is close enough because I'm seeing pretty much what you stated.
    Hi Jim,

You're welcome. I've calibrated and profiled a few screens in my time and can honestly say the 96% of the benefit is in getting the black and white points right - actual colour shifts between profiled and unprofiled screens are usually minor, and wouldn't be noticed by most ...

... and the good news is that you can get black and while points pretty close without having a colorimeter - all you need is a test chart that shows you a series of 4 or more black squares (getting progressively blacker) and a series of 4 or more white squares getting progressively white. Using that, if you tweak the backlight (or brightness which are often the one control) and contrast so that the black and white points are as black/white as possible whilst still being able to see the adjacent squares then you'd be pretty close.

I've seen these charts on a couple of websites (or one could be made quite easily with photoshop), but I don't have a reference to one handy - perhaps someone else knows where to find one online?

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Colin,

I found a couple of sites with charts.One with the chart you described and another with a gamma chart.I did have to tweak the brightness level and I switched the gamma setting on my monitor to #3.The gamma chart worked nicely.I then checked the settings against the color chart(black to white).I'm at least in the ballpark.Thanks for the tips!

Jim