Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Nikkor SLR Camera Lens

Real Name
    Jay

Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Nikkor SLR Camera Lens

what is the difference between AF and AF-s , what is F/4-5.6G ? just start learning

is canon suitable for outdoor shoot ?

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Nikkor SLR Camera Lens

Hi joojass and welcome to CiC,

We tend to be a bit informal around here and most include their first name in their profile, under Real name, so we can address you correctly when responding.

The AF stands for auto focus capability. I am not sure about the AFs – I think it is just a more current version but others will respond and correct me if I am wrong.

The f 4 – 5.6 tells you the widest aperture opening through the range of the lens. F4 is the widest aperture available at the 70mm end of the zoom range while f 5.6 is the widest aperture available at the long end (300mm) of the zoom range.

Can you give us some insight as to the camera you are using and the type of images you like to take?

Real Name
    Steve

AF-s stand for Silent Wave Auto Focus:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9569/~/af-s-lens-technology

The Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 VR is a nice lens, but can be a bit soft above 250mm

Real Name
    Jay

Thank you for the quick reply.. well i have D60 nikon, and having 50 mm prime , 60mm F/2.8,love take macros..recently watching Car race, Football, want to shoot some nice picture even though i have f4-5.6,, i think enough for telephoto beginners.(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Hi joojass and welcome to CiC,

We tend to be a bit informal around here and most include their first name in their profile, under Real name, so we can address you correctly when responding.

The AF stands for auto focus capability. I am not sure about the AFs – I think it is just a more current version but others will respond and correct me if I am wrong.

The f 4 – 5.6 tells you the widest aperture opening through the range of the lens. F4 is the widest aperture available at the 70mm end of the zoom range while f 5.6 is the widest aperture available at the long end (300mm) of the zoom range.

Can you give us some insight as to the camera you are using and the type of images you like to take?

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Jay,

Thanks for including your name. I have a Nikon and have used a 70 – 300mm for the last 10 years. Just updated it to one wit image stabilization but I have had a lot of enjoyment out of the lens and i am sure you will as well. Sometimes it is good to use a slower shutter and get some movement in the type of sports you are looking to shoot. Post some images when you get it.

Real Name
    John

Jay,

Did you opt out of getting the kit lens (18-55 or 55-200mm) when you purchased your D60? One or the other would have been offered with your camera when purchased new and many times when purchased used, and they both use the technology you expressed interest in. Both use VR (vibration reduction) technology which may be of interest to you if you handhold the camera. Look for the same VR designation if interested in the 70-300mm.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by joojass View Post
    what is the difference between AF and AF-s , what is F/4-5.6G ? just start learning

is canon suitable for outdoor shoot ?
    Hi Jay,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me, great to have you join us.

If you have a Nikon D60 (as stated further down the thread), you only want to be considering "AF-S" lenses, the "AF" (or "AF-D") ones will not Auto Focus on that camera body. (Or on the D40, D3000, D3100 or D5000)

For the record, a Canon lens won't fit a Nikon body.

I have the Nikon 70-300mm VR lens and like it, in fact, given the shooting I do; birds, wildlife, etc. it is on the camera more than any other lens these days.

I also like Macro, and although the Nikon isn't supposed to be a 'Macro' capable, you can get shots like this at the minimum focus distance (about 5 feet) Click on the image to see it bigger.

Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Nikkor SLR Camera Lens

I can't say I have personally noticed a benefit in backing it off to 250mm for better quality, but it does definitely do a better job at f/8 and f/11 than at f/5.6 or f/7.1. Maybe that's an either/or option

If you have other Nikon, as opposed to third party, lenses - I'd say go for it, I love having everything work the same way when I change AF-S lenses. I believe there's a Tamron and/or Sigma which may focus closer, but personally I'd rather stick with Nikon image quality (and controls).

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 9th February 2011 at 02:16 PM.