Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: How to set a Pixma 9000 MkII to print on rag without such a big border?

Real Name
    Steve

How to set a Pixma 9000 MkII to print on rag without such a big border?

I only just found out how to set custom sizes in my printer, but would like to know how to set only a 1 inch border on a 20" x 14" rag; and where do you buy custom cut rag from?

Annoyingly if you set paper to rag in settings it puts a 1.5" border around it.

Another way would be to add a custom profile; something else I'm not clear about.

Re: How to set a Pixma 9000 MkII to print on rag without such a big border?

Well for normal paper prints, I normally use standard sizes and adjust the image size to leave a suitable border.

I use the R1900 and have occasionally done custom sizes, although I found the set up dialogue a bit confusing.

Rag does appear to be relatively common in other countries but I have never seen any advertised in the UK.

Real Name
    Steve

Rag is hard to find pre cut and stretched; you can get A3+ size on ebay but I think here you have to buy rolls and a guillotine to cut it to special sizes. A3+ size is only any good for an A3 print but if I had the equipment, a 24" roll could be cut to 14" strips to give 24" x 14" which should fit onto an 18" x 12" frame.

Just a thought.

Real Name
    Steve

I asked a printing suppliers and they said use paper matt settings, this avoids the hassle of trying to find a way to print up near the edge on canvas.

I've bought myself (BOGOF buy one get one free) hp premium plus A4 paper 280 gsm for practice, where can I get a profile?

In fact I tried Canon PT2 and it looked a bit wet and I was able to smudge it, so I tried PR2 and this was quicker and more resembled what I could see on the screen.

Can't see that it is actually any better than Jessops 240gsm gloss, there could be a little finer detail, hard to tell.

It is possible to buy Epson A2 rag, is it safe to cut this down with only a pair of scissors to 24 x 14 inches?

Tried Canon PR3 and this turned blue; (screem) It is not easy is it:

How to set a Pixma 9000 MkII to print on rag without such a big border?
    Last edited by arith; 9th February 2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: addendum

Real Name
    Steve

Got it to work from adobe: adobe is rubbish it can't seem to handle the printer at all, but if you choose printer manages colours and use the printers own software to find setting for brightness, cyan, magenta, yellow choosing auto profile and relative; then ignore completely the soft proof which looks horrendous, it actually comes out alright.

So now I can print up to 24" x 14".