Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sky Stalker (Weirdness Warning!)

Sky Stalker (Weirdness Warning!)

rob marshall

Re: Sky Stalker (Weirdness Warning!)

Tell me Steve. When your kid goes to school on Monday mornings do his mates ask him "What did yer do over the weekend?" And does he reply "Me Dad put these aviator goggles on me and asked me to look up to the sky with an ethereal look, while he snapped away and cross-processed it in summat called Photoshop"

It would make (being serious here) a great movie poster for some science-fiction movie. Or perhaps a book cover. You see, there I go again - just thinking of money instead of art.

I do like it. It has 'presence'.

Tell me Steve. When your kid goes to school on Monday mornings do his mates ask him "What did yer do over the weekend?" And does he reply "Me Dad put these aviator goggles on me and asked me to look up to the sky with an ethereal look, while he snapped away and cross-processed it in summat called Photoshop"
    I do try to give them a balanced and controlled life experience

It would make (being serious here) a great movie poster for some science-fiction movie. Or perhaps a book cover. You see, there I go again - just thinking of money instead of art.

I do like it. It has 'presence'.
    Thanks Rob much appreciated. Although it does get a little lonely in the cross-processing cupboard. I am seriously thinking of switching to ducks just for someone to talk to

Er...perhaps not. Besides they are swans (intermediate). Now where did I put that duck lure and my camo Y-Fronts?

Real Name
    Raylee

Another good one Steve.

Your use of colour has me looking for textures everywhere now. There was a nice (nothing spectacular) sunset this evening and I thought "I can use that sky as a texture!" You inspire me.

R

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    'Powerful' is the word that immediately came to the front of my mind when I opened the thread and saw this. Think that echoes Rob's thoughts about its possible uses.

Real Name
    Mel

Please could you give some tips as to how you created this image? It certainly does make a very unique and interesting portrait.

Real Name
    neil

I like this very much!

I would prefer to see a bit more weirdness in general...

Real Name
    Wendy

Weird is good!!! You will have great fun going through the family album years from now.

Wendy

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Looks good! A Star Wars poster? Is his name Luke?

Real Name
    Elise

I think it's wonderful -- terrific image.

"I can use that sky as a texture!" You inspire me.
    Thank you Raylee. This does incorporate a sunset shot but I used it more to get the colours than the texture itself.

'Powerful' is the word that immediately came to the front of my mind when I opened the thread and saw this.
    Donald, I am glad you said that. That is what I was aiming for with this.

Please could you give some tips as to how you created this image? It certainly does make a very unique and interesting portrait.
    Mel, there is a fair bit of advice HERE and you can see more of my efforts HERE For this one I used 3 images. A pink sunset with con trails, a shot of some scaffolding and the main subject (my son in swimming googles). You can see all three components in the image below (part way through processing)

The sky looks all wrong so that can be taken out with the eraser. Before that though the sky layer is reintroduced and the layer set to 'difference'. This gives the wacky colours. The principle is simple with these images you are placing one layer on top of another each layer being set to a different mode with different opacity. You do need to think about the order of the layers since inevitably you will need to use the eraser to remove unwanted elements (set to fuzzy brush and opacity somewhere less than 100%. I usually start at 50% and build up). After merging each layer you will need to manipulate curves to get vibrance back into the image. There is not set routine to any of this it is like slapping layer upon layer of paint on a canvas until you obtain the effect you had in mind. Dodging and burning tools are very useful since applying the mode to the layer can cause unpredictable results with the 'exposure' of components that are laid on top of each other.

I use GIMP but I suspect it is easier Photoshop.
    I would prefer to see a bit more weirdness in general...
    I will see what I can do

You will have great fun going through the family album years from now.
    Needless to say I do get in trouble with WireVixen for not taking enough 2.4 children type shots.

I think it's wonderful -- terrific image.
    Sorry Elise. You posted as I was replying to the others. Thank you for that. It means a lot coming from someone who is so dexterous at employing these techniques