Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My photoshop trials and tribulations...

Real Name
    Richard

My photoshop trials and tribulations...

After years and years of "doing it myself" I have decided to enroll in a free Photoshop CS-5 Online Course sponsored by the San Diego Community College District, Continuing Education program. This is a three part course with Part One being Basic Photoshop CS-5; Part Two being Image Enhancement; and Part Three being Photo Montage...

The three parts will take most of the Spring Semester and will run through May 2011.

An added benefit to enrolling is that I am eligible for an educational discounted copy of Photoshop Extended CS-5 ($200 USD). At the same time, since these programs are so deeply discounted, I purchased a copy of Lightroom-3 ($90).

I have been limping along with Photoshop CS-5 that barely does the job. I had answered what I thought was a sale on what looked exactly like the Adobe website and purchased CS-5 from this source.

After, trying to get a confirmation from Adobe on my purchase, I learned that my credit card had been charged from a website in Mainland China. I immediately canceled the order at that website and also stopped payment on my credit card. I also canceled that specific credit card and had my credit union issue a new card.

After several weeks had gone by, I actually received what looked like a Photoshop CD. There were a few differences in the packaging but the disk and the folder looked real.

I installed the Photoshop program but, could not register it. Not surprisingly Adobe would not accept the registration number stating that it was ineligible. However, since it cost me nothing, I used it as a trial version. However the trial period ran out and I needed an editing program. It was in the midst of the Fall Semester and I knew that I could not register at a college until the beginning of the Spring Semester.

I purchased a LEGITIMATE copy of Photoshop Elements from my local COSTCO discount store and have been working with that program. Elements is a fine program but, I am quite used to working with the actual Photoshop program. I am glad to be getting back to Photoshop but, my wife likes PSE better - so I didn't waste my money on that program.

I sent off my school registration documentation to the software supplier. The college bookshop only carried Creative Suite and not Photoshop alone. I did not want Creative Suite because if I were not a student and wanted to upgrade Photoshop within the suite, it would be quite expensive. I could not upgrade Photoshop alone but, would need to upgrade the entire suite. With the independent Photoshop Extended software, I will be able in the future to upgrade it at a decent price - even if I am not a student anymore.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: My photoshop trials and tribulations...

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    With the independent Photoshop Extended software, I will be able in the future to upgrade it at a decent price - even if I am not a student anymore.
    Hi Richard,

USUALLY, the discounted version offered with educational courses is the academic version, and USUALLY, academic versions don't work when you try to upgrade to later versions.

Hope you enjoy the course; as you might have seen, often I recommend www.kelbytraining.com @ $24.95 a month for their excellent online content (with immediate results) (and targeted right at the heart of what we do).

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Richard,

USUALLY, the discounted version offered with educational courses is the academic version, and USUALLY, academic versions don't work when you try to upgrade to later versions.

Hope you enjoy the course; as you might have seen, often I recommend www.kelbytraining.com @ $24.95 a month for their excellent online content (with immediate results) (and targeted right at the heart of what we do).
    I was chatting on-line a couple of weeks ago with one of the Adobe reps. I was interested in the student/educator discounts as I home educate/d my boys. They require documentation, obviously as proof. I noted that I have all required documentation and then I asked if LR 3 and CS-5 would be the same as buying them full price and if they were upgradeable. The rep that I spoke with said that they were the same programs and yes they were upgradeable.

It is possible that I was not given the accurate information so before I give my credit card and documentation I will double check. I don't want something that I can't upgrade.

Thanks for the info!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Mary,

I just did a quick "Google" ... looks like you may well be right

Would be interesting to know how the price academic upgrades though.

Real Name
    Chris

I was able to upgrade my educational version from CS to CS2 but because I hadn't done CS3 and 4, they wouldn't do the upgrade to CS5. Still $199 for CS5 is a steal.

Real Name
    Pops

Mary, I volunteer teach a course in basic photography for the County Home School Association. I am interested in what you find out and what documentation they are requiring. I glanced over the information on the 'net and it looked as though only "accredited" schools were eligible.

Pops

Real Name
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    Mary, I volunteer teach a course in basic photography for the County Home School Association. I am interested in what you find out and what documentation they are requiring. I glanced over the information on the 'net and it looked as though only "accredited" schools were eligible.

Pops
    You can get PS5 only from B&H for sure. Also here are the requirements from B&H Photo Website that I ordered my equipment through:

Adobe Student Edition Eligibility Condition
    Before purchasing this product, please be sure that you (or the person you are buying the product for) are eligible to use the Adobe Student Edition software. Student and Teacher Edition Software Product may be used by:

• University and college students students enrolled at a higher education institution defined as an accredited public or private university or college (including community, junior, or vocational college) that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two years of full-time study
    • Primary and secondary school students students enrolled at an accredited public private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction
    • Primary and secondary school students students enrolled at an accredited public private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction ; Faculty and staff teachers and staff employed by an accredited primary or secondary school or public or private university or college

Eligibility for Student Editions:

To be eligible, you (or the person you are buying the product for) must be a full or part time student enrolled at higher education institution. A "higher education institution" is an accredited public or private university or college (including community, junior or vocational college) that grants degrees requiring no less than the equivalent of 2 years of full-time study.

Required Proof of Eligibility:
    To receive an authorized serial number, you must provide proof that you are an eligible user of Adobe Student and Teacher Edition Software Product as follows:

Student
    Students must provide a photocopy of a valid, current student ID that includes your name, date, and a photo of yourself. If you do not have such an ID, you must instead provide a photocopy of a valid photo ID and one of the following items:

• Official, current non-photo student ID with name and date;
    • Official, current school transcript indicating name of school and student
    • Official, current school tuition bill indicating name of school and student
    • Official, current report card indicating name of school and student
    • Other official dated proof of enrollment

Teachers, Faculty and Staff
    Teachers, faculty and staff must provide a photocopy of a valid current school ID that includes your name,
    date, and a photo. If such end user do not have such an ID, the end user must instead provide a photocopy
    of a valid photo ID and one of the following items::

• Faculty or staff paycheck stub
    • An official letter from the registrar of the educational entity.

Formats for Digital Proof of Eligibility
    The end user must use a digital camera or scanner to create a copy of his/her proof of eligibility. All
    documents must be clear, legible, and true to size. Acceptable formats include JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIF, and
    PDF. The file must be no larger than 3MB. Proof of eligibility shall be submitted in accordance with the
    instructions accompanying the Adobe Student and Teacher Edition Software Product.

Restrictions on Use
    A Student and Teacher Edition End User may purchase only one license of any Adobe Student and Teacher
    Edition product. This license may be used only on your privately owned computer. Student and Teacher
    Edition Software Products may not be resold by the Student and Teacher End User.

Real Name

I just finished chatting again with Arun from Adobe. For home schoolers we qualify for the education discount if we can show:

Home schooling

If you are home schooling, provide a valid photo ID, and a copy of one of the following:

* Letter of intent to home school addressed to local school district for current school year
    * Home School Legal Defense Association membership card
    * Home School Charter School membership card
    * Book/curriculum receipt for the current year

I then asked if I would be able to upgrade at a later date even if we were no longer home schooling (my youngest is a high school senior this year). He said that yes we would be, but at the same upgrade price as a non-educator.

If I remember from the last chat, the educator price for LR 3 is $89 and for PS CS5 it is $199 (USA).

Real Name

I just completed my order for Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3. I placed my order on-line in Adobe's Education Store. The total came to $288 (US dollars). CS5 was $199 for the Student/Teacher Edition and Lightroom 3 was $89 for the Student/Teacher Edition. I submitted my driver license as my photo ID since we don't have a school ID, my Homeschool Legal Defense Association memebership card, And the letter from our oversight agency confirming that we meet the NH state requirements as home educators.