Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Value & Detail

Real Name
    Chris

Value & Detail

As many have you seen, I am being very diligent in trying to work on my focus, attention to detail and getting my white balance set correctly. I think I have improved but the real test is the C&C i get from the members on this forum.

The photo presented here is way too busy and lacks a good focal point..though it sure looked differently in the viewfinder - However, that aside, I shot it because of the lighting challenges of having things out in the open and under awnings, plus a sun that was less than an hour from setting, peeking in and out of a hazy-salt spray-foggy sky.

My question to you is how did I do?

Value & Detail

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Value & Detail

Chris, I think you did quite well not having either blow to much out or let the shadows darken things to a point I could not see some detail. This looks like a great time and place for that exercise.

Real Name
    Peter

Given the purpose of the exercise I think you achieved your goal.

I think this scene/setting has potential to be really dramatic. There are some things that I would have done slightly differently from you.
    • I would step a little to the left to remove that distracting chair in the foreground.
    • I might decide to make the hats (on the table) the main subject by putting it in the foreground. It could be done by walking over to the other side of the table.
    • I might take a long exposure shot to show motion of the woman in the photograph. This can make the street seem deserted and lonely.
    • I might take a landscape orientation to show more of the roofs because I like their uniform height and shape.
    PS: I'm not good at B&W photographs so you can take my suggestions with a pinch of salt.