Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Overexposed Owl

Real Name
    Tim

Overexposed Owl

More wildlife follies. I could have sworn I had the camera set to aprature, but it was set to manual, in this case, utterly random. I must have knocked the button turning it on.

Overexposed Owl

The actual image, after the owl flew off, on the camera was pure white. I used posterize to try to increase the sharpness. The problem with shooting wildlife is that I can go months without seeing an owl, then there is one for 30 secs.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Overexposed Owl

That is certainly unique. More like a line drawing to me.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

I did something like that before... I think it's sort of like surprise 'art'!

014bwresize.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tim, both of us have VINS (Vermont Institute of Natural Science) that we could go to! Hadn't thought of that before. Have you been? Although, really, at night, I can hear so many owls - why don't I ever see them?

Real Name
    Tim

That is a cut dog! The picture is like a pencil drawing.

Katy
    There are more owls around than you think in the daytime. In the winter, they roost in trees about midway to two thirds up the tree, unlike crows, for example, and hawks, blackbirds, who hang out in the tree tops. So if you see a squat bird, roosting in the day in a tree, but not in the top, there is a good chance it is an owl, because, as you said, they are very common around here.

In the summer you can often spot them when they are being mobbed by songbirds. They sort of ignore them, but the ruckus does attract attention to them.

I'll keep an eye out, then! I need to look up more, I think.