Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Control camera

Control camera

Hello all,

I am looking for a software that can remotely control compact digital cameras from a computer and take pictures directly onto the hard drive.

I have found a couple but it seems that most of them are restricted to old series of Canon and/or Olympus cameras. I need to purchase a camera and it is clear that I
    am interested in more recent models such as Nikon Coolpix series or Canon Digital IXUS series. In fact, I need a compact camera with a short focal lenght and that explains my choice.
    Does anyone, please, know about a software that is compatible with such cameras?.
    Looking forward to you reply and I thank you in advance for your help.
    Samantha

Re: Control camera

Hi Samantha
    I dont know if you have seen THIS It states that "Photos are saved on the PC's hard disk" and has a list of compatible Canon compacts. $95 though but I dont think you will find an open source solution. Canon DSLRs come with software for tethered shooting I have never tried it so I dont know if you can save to HDD. Not all compacts have the tethering function built-in. The site in my link provides a pretty comprehensive list of the ones that do.

Good luck

Real Name
    Mark

Canon EOS cameras come with EOS Utility which allows you to control the camera from a computer via USB.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by whited3 View Post
    Canon EOS cameras come with EOS Utility which allows you to control the camera from a computer via USB.
    Mark

Does EOS Utility come with and work with a compact, or are they only compatible with a DSLR?

Real Name
    Jim

From a company called "Breeze Systems" that has remote capture software for Powershots.
    The following Canon PowerShot cameras do not support remote capture operation and therefore will not work with PSRemote:
    A series: A410, A420, A430, A450, A460, A470, A480, A490, A495, A530, A540, A550, A560, A570 IS, A580, A590 IS, A610, A630, A650 IS, A700, A710 IS, A720 IS, A1000 IS, A1100 IS, A2000 IS, A2100 IS, A3000 IS, A3100 IS
    Digital ELPH/IXUS: SD30, SD40, SD400 (Digital IXUS 50), SD430, SD450 (Digital IXUS 55), SD500 (Digital IXUS 700), SD550 (Digital IXUS 750), SD600, SD630, SD700 IS, SD750, SD770 IS, SD780 IS, SD790 IS, SD800 IS, SD850 IS, SD870 IS, SD880 IS, SD890 IS, SD900, SD940 IS, SD950 IS, SD960 IS, SD970 IS, SD980 IS, SD990 IS, SD1000, SD1100 IS, SD1200 IS, SD1300 IS, SD1400 IS, SD3500 IS, SD4000 IS, SD4500 IS
    SX series: SX210 IS, SX200 IS, SX130 IS, SX120 IS, SX30 IS, SX20 IS, SX10 IS, SX1 IS,
    G Series: G11, G12
    S Series: S90, S95
    Other: TX1, E1, D10

It looks like the Powershot series comes with the Zoombrowser software.No mention of EOS Utility.

You didn't say if you're using PC or Mac. If it's Mac, Sofortbild works great and is free. It supports a wild range of cameras. Try it (it's free anyway) and you won't regret.

Thank you all for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am using a PC with windowsXP operating system.
    I am not interested on DSLR cameras because I need one that is compact enough, around 2-3cm width, with short focal lenght and with a minimum capturing distance of around 3cm. Something like Nikon Coolpix S570, S640, S8000 or Canon Digital IXUS 105 or 130.
    Thank you JimB for the 'Breeze system' link, I will check supported cameras list and see whether there is one that suits my requirements. As I said before, it seems that most of
    these software deal only with old models.

Hi again,
    I'm afraid that I'm facing the same problem. Breeze systems' software (same as CuteCanon capture and cam2com softwares) supports Canon Poweshot from 6years ago and earlier. It makes sens to buy a more recent one for all the new features offered.
    So here I am asking again whether someone can help me please with my request.
    Thanking you in advance. Samantha

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Samantha,

Can you tell us more about the type of images that you're trying to capture?

Hi Colin,

Well nothing artistic I am afraid. My scenes will be something like different three dimensional shapes.
    The images will be subject to some various processing, it's for research purpose.

Hi Samantha

There is a site on the web, here, that gives instructions on how to hack - that is to say, unlock - many capabilities that are hidden in Canon compact cameras. You may find what you need there.

N.B. - I think this sort of thing is not appreciated by Canon USA, and may void your warranty.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Just a thought, would an eye-fi card be of any help? (allowing images to be saved to the pc).

Real Name
    Ken

EOS Utility does not work on a Powershot 1000, but I have used it with a Canon 30D for a time series animation of the moon rising.