Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sleepy

Real Name
    Debbie

Sleepy

I think its been a couple weeks since my last dog posting, believe I am in the clear to post another...everything in moderation

I haven't done much photography with extra lighting, so I borrowed a couple of light stands with trumpet shaped compact fluorescents and quickly learned how fickle the lights can be.....they change everything and sometimes not in the manner you expected. I draped a piece of cloth over them and still they were very harsh, but I managed this and even though I do find it harsh, it sorta reminds me of a "Velvet Elvis" wall hanging with the black, red and white color scheme.

C&C welcome

Sleepy

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Sleepy

Debbie, your image of your dog is fine. Though I have to agree that the lighting is a bit 'hot' on the furs. I find that if you want to soften your lighting, you have to put your light source closer to the subject. That would soften the highlights and you would get this nice blurry soft shadows. If you find your light too overpowering, you can add another piece of cloth in front to decrease the exposure value. On a personal point of view, i seem to see your dog in a state of sorrow rather than simply 'sleeping'. I don't know why but I just seem to feel that way. I hope my comment is not that offensive.

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    I find that if you want to soften your lighting, you have to put your light source closer to the subject.
    Really? Closer? I will have to try that next time I summon some patience.
    i seem to see your dog in a state of sorrow rather than simply 'sleeping'. I don't know why but I just seem to feel that way. I hope my comment is not that offensive.
    No offense at all (but she is fast asleep)..but she is a moody complex beast, maybe thats what you're picking up on

Thanks for the lighting tip. You recently posted a pic of your lighting studio, which was really inspiring, cause you provide evidence that good pictures are about persistance, creativity and actually taking them and not always about fancy expensive equipment.

Debbie

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by djg05478 View Post
    Really? Closer?
    Hi Debbie,

I think it works because it makes the light source bigger in relation to any point on the subject.

Another option might be to put some distance between your cloth and the lamps, so the lamps illuminate a larger area of the cloth than they would if the cloth is just draped on them. Then the cloth illuminates the subject - but this way will lose a lot of the light, so you may end up with extended shutter speeds.

I think you could crop 10% off the right hand side there and not miss it.

Real Name
    Debbie

Gents - Thanks for all the advice.

I'll have to give it another go. And just to clarify, I wasn't questioning or doubting Jiro's advise- it was just the opposite of what I would have expected and done, hence the frustration and mediocre results of my first attempts working with some lights.

Debbie

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

. And just to clarify, I wasn't questioning or doubting Jiro's advise-
    Debbie

I don't think anyone, particularly Willie or Dave, would have thought that at all. This is just a wonderful example of the learning that can take place on here. Like you, I wouldn't have thought of that as an answer. So, at least two of us have learned something today.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

- it was just the opposite of what I would have expected
    That's all I assumed and I was just explaining why - you're too sensitive

But it is kinda of endearing

Real Name
    Chris

Again, this is one of those instances where I was able to glean some important information and share with my students...and this is the result:

Sleepy

Note: I have done nothing to this image other than save it in a web format. This is the assignment where the digital students have to shoot four black objects on a black background and then four white ojects on a white background - no converting to grayscale. Image must stay in color.
    this student was having great difficulty keeping the shoe from reflecting so much light because it was a shinier object...I did assist in helping him build a makeshift black box to shoot in, but it was this lighting tip that made the difference in the final outcome. I would love to get some feedback from this group as to how well you think he did.

Real Name
    Chris

And yes, there are some sharpening issues... shot with a Nikon D40 18-55 Kit Lens

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Again, this is one of those instances where I was able to glean some important information and share with my students...and this is the result:

Sleepy

Note: I have done nothing to this image other than save it in a web format. This is the assignment where the digital students have to shoot four black objects on a black background and then four white ojects on a white background - no converting to grayscale. Image must stay in color.
    this student was having great difficulty keeping the shoe from reflecting so much light because it was a shinier object...I did assist in helping him build a makeshift black box to shoot in, but it was this lighting tip that made the difference in the final outcome. I would love to get some feedback from this group as to how well you think he did.
    Your student did good, Chris! You would know if the lighting works when the highlights still possesses some texture and detail on it. Even his composition is commendable! My respect to your student for a job well done.

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    You would know if the lighting works when the highlights still possesses some texture and detail on it.
    Ahhhhh - another new and good thing to know

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Debbie,

Like you, I wouldn't have thought of that as an answer. So, at least two of us have learned something today.
    Me three!