Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Learning from the master...

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

A good book to read...

Learning from the master...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willieb...6426/lightbox/

Thank you very much for viewing.

Nikon D70, 50mm f1.8D lens, Exposure at f4 at 1/60 of a second in Manual Mode, 2 light source setup, NEF to JPEG conversion via ACDSEE Pro.
    Last edited by jiro; 26th January 2011 at 01:52 AM. Reason: changed title.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: A good book to read...

An excellent book to read and I've been at the exact spot where Adam's set up his camera for the shot in the book, of Half Dome.

Real Name

You immediately got the concept of my shot. Did you take some shots while you were there, Chris?

Real Name
    Chris

I did but lost everything to a naughty little waterspout a long while back...However, that aside, I did have the opportunity to meet Ansel Adams back when I was in high school, and that, my friend is a memory I will always cherish.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I did but lost everything to a naughty little waterspout a long while back...However, that aside, I did have the opportunity to meet Ansel Adams back when I was in high school, and that, my friend is a memory I will always cherish.
    Wow, that is really awesome! You're one lucky photography guy.

Real Name
    Chris

He had a studio/workshop in Yosemite. Dumb luck that we met on a trailhead coming down from the backside of Half-Dome. A friend I was with was an avid rock climber and was scoping out a climb...I was just along for the hike.
    While I spent a goodly amount of time chatting with Adams and asking a million questions about the large cameras he was packing as the largest camera I'd ever seen was a 4x5 Speed Graphic (at least I was able to talk somewhat intelligently), I only knew his name because of my photography teacher in high school. I still remember at the time thinking how impressed he would be when he found out I'd met his idol. It wasn't until years later, I realized how fortunate I'd really been. I was still in high school at that time and didn't realize that in an equivilency, I was standing and chatting with John F. Kennedy. I still get goose bumps.

Real Name

Thanks for sharing, Chris. I'm really inspired by your story. You don't get that opportunity most of the time. Wow... Ansel Adams in person, just wow.