Thread: Imported cameras/lenses

Imported cameras/lenses

Could someone please explain the difference of the imported cameras I have seen on line vs. the domestic cameras offered. I am looking for a canon 50 D and have found imported prices around $500 where the domestic prices are close to $1000.00
    I currently have a Rebel XTi but have missed some great sports and nature shots due to slow focusing and sharpness lacking in my photos.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Re: Imported cameras/lenses

Quote Originally Posted by tomcedarlake View Post
    Could someone please explain the difference of the imported cameras I have seen on line vs. the domestic cameras offered. I am looking for a canon 50 D and have found imported prices around $500 where the domestic prices are close to $1000.00
    I currently have a Rebel XTi but have missed some great sports and nature shots due to slow focusing and sharpness lacking in my photos.

Thanks for your help.

Tom
    It's the same equipment except for the fact that US Made carries a warranty that can be used in the USA. Canon will not honor the imported version. However, most dealers selling foreign versions will either throw in or sell you an insurance/warranty policy with a third party US repair company. I don't think the price differences are 100% in price.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
    It's the same equipment except for the fact that US Made carries a warranty that can be used in the USA. Canon will not honor the imported version. However, most dealers selling foreign versions will either throw in or sell you an insurance/warranty policy with a third party US repair company. I don't think the price differences are 100% in price.
    Hi Angelo,

Welcome to CiC - great to have you with us. I know what you say holds true for B&H; definately not a 100% difference though.

@ Tom - Hi Tom, welcome to CiC too - great to have you with us also. My STRONG suggestion is to buy from (preferably) B&H Photo Video www.photovideo.com or (alternatively) Adorama www.adorama.com . There are MANY companies trading on the web that will take your money and run in the blink of an eye. At a bare minimum, check them out with www.resellerratings.com (or post the address here and let us do a bit of research for you).

If you can find an online price that's significantly cheaper than B&H or Adorama then it's almost certainly a con. B&H is undisputably the gold standard for professionalism and integrity (I buy from them even though they're in New York, USA, and I'm in Nelson, New Zealand!).

PS: The 50D is pretty much an obsolete item now; it was replaced by the 60D, although if you're after AF speed then the 7D is a much better choice.

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

While I would much prefer to use a 50D than a Rebel, Tom, I suspect that most of your problems are due to the lenses rather than the bodies.

Geoff,

I appreciate the feedback. I am a beginner and really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, if you can include here, or on another post, your lens details preferably with a sample photo we can try to work out why you are getting disappointing results.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 26th January 2011 at 08:30 PM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    While I would much prefer to use a 50D than a Rebel, Tom, I suspect that most of your problems are due to the lenses rather than the bodies.
    +1. Even with my cruddy old XT (350D) which had the old 7-pt AF system that's in the XS these days, I was able to get bird in flight shots once I picked up the EF 400m f/5.6L USM (and spent a year's worth of weekends learning how to chase/photograph birds).

Imported cameras/lenses
    Canon XT, EF 400mm f/5.6L USM, iso 200, f/5.6, 1/1250s.

And moving from the XT to the 50D, while there is an improvement in burst rate and AF speed and accuracy, my keeper rate hasn't improved even a fifth of what it did when I moved from the econo lens (an old EF 75-300 III (non-USM, non-IS)) to the 400/5.6 L. A white L lens with USM is a wonderful thing for fast-action photography.

Two more points. With the economy telephoto zooms, stopping down to f/8 or f/11 tends to improve sharpness. And if you're looking for a 50D at a lower price, you're in the USA, and you're not afraid of refurbs with 90-day-warranties, you might want to look into the CLP.