Thread: Need help in the final selection of the camera

Need help in the final selection of the camera

Hello,
    My current camera is Basic P&S: Nikon Coolpix L12.
    I Want to upgrade to the higher end P&S
    Preference is Image Quality.
    Though I have not restricted myself, at present my fields of interest are Landscape, Cityscape, Portrait, Still Closeup, abstract, Adventure (Trekking, rappelling) and am serious about photography.

I have nearly finalized Nikon Coolpix P7000
    One of our friend, who deals with Leica, has suggested Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7
    (Lumix DMC-TZ10) He says Leica lenses are the best.

Now I am confused. Being newbie, I have very little knowledge of technical details. Based on Net Articles, I had given preference to the Censor size & pixel density.

(Another friend has asked me to take lower end DSLR. But I feel it is better to proceed step by step instead of jumping and cost factor counts, too.)

Please, guide me to select the right one.

Side-by-side comparison of Technical specs by DPREVIEW, is attached herewith.

Thanks and Regards,
    Rachana
    Attached Files Attached Files

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Need help in the final selection of the camera

Rachana

Having screwed up Rachana's first attempt to post the above message (for which I again apologise, Rachana) [BAD MOD], hopefully the following will be of some help.

Both cameras that you are now considering are good quality instruments and will help you produce good images. There are a number of people on here who use a Lumix and speak very highly of it.

In terms of the technical/performance issues, there is not going to be huge difference for everyday photographic work. The crucial difference may be in how each one feels in your hands. People very often under-estimate the importance of going to a camera store and just handling cameras. Do that and check which one feels most comfortable to you. On which one are all the buttons most easily to reach for you? Which one feels 'natural' in your hands? These are important factors.

Real Name
    John

Also, you want the camera you choose now to give you all the functionality of a DSLR (RAW, aperture, shutterspeed controls) in the event you do make the next step upward.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Rachana,

Thanks for posting the comparison, makes it nice 'n' easy for us, very thoughtful.

As Donald says, either would be good, although glancing down the specs.

Pros for Nikon P7000
    Optical V/F (not just the LCD)
    External flash capable (more money)
    Remote Control capable (more money)
    Wider aperture range
    More AF options
    Manual Focus capability
    RAW support
    Larger sensor for slightly more control of DoF (i.e. less DoF!)
    Low pixel density for theoretical advantage on noise
    One stop higher max. shutter speed 1/4000 (same as many DSLRs)

Pros for the Panasonic TZ10 / DMC-ZS7
    Slightly higher resolution, but pixels are over-rated
    Slightly more compact
    Quite a bit lighter in weight
    Wider Zoom lens range 25 - 300 compared to 28 - 200
    Quite a bit cheaper
    GPS built-in (but it will flatten battery quicker if on)
    Significantly faster burst rate for action shot series

My conclusion; the Nikon gives you quite a few more features (relative to what they both have) that should postpone the day when you really need to go for a DSLR. Far less limitations for a serious photographer; RAW support, so you can start down the PP route without jpg limitations, cannot be under-estimated.

I have a friend with the Panasonic though and it does take nice pictures in a good photographer's hands - not that he would call himself that; but I see his potential

However, I still, for "serious photography", see the Nikon as being far more versatile on the things that would/could matter to a photographer.

Hope that helps (gee, spending other people's money is sooo nice )

Cheers,

Donald, John, Dave, Thanks to all very, very much. Dave, your discussing the Pros in Details, and John's points, really helped me to reach to (rather stick to) the selection. Donald's tip of handling all the cameras is very useful (I had never thought of this way)
    Regards, Rachana

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rachana View Post
    Donald, John, Dave, Thanks to all very, very much. Dave, your discussing the Pros in Details, and John's points, really helped me to reach to (rather stick to) the selection. Donald's tip of handling all the cameras is very useful (I had never thought of this way)
    Regards, Rachana
    No worries, Rachana,

I have a daughter who is looking to move on from a TZ3 or TZ5 (I forget which she has) and we might give the P7000 some serious consideration.

BTW, I never ordered those pros into most significant first, so they are a bit random.
    The two most important usability things I most 'miss' on P7000 (compared to the TZ10) are the low burst speed and lower lens focal length range.
    Conversely, the two biggest usability omissions from the TZ10 are the lack of RAW and no optical viewfinder (for when sun is on screen). Then; lack of manual focus and slightly less creative DoF capabilities, plus ability of external auto-flash follow on.

Cheers,