Thread: Backdrops for Softbox

Backdrops for Softbox

Hi Forum,

I have just bought one of the inexpensive pop-up 32" softboxes which comes with 4 different colour backdrops. They appear to be made of a plastic type material and are quite creased from transit.

So.. first question -

Has anyone managed to iron out the creases in these backdrops and if so what setting on the iron etc.

Second question -

Failing the above - I would prefer to use a white paper backdrop - anyone know where I can get suitable 80cm (32") wide paper? (30" would be ok too)
    Regards
    John

Re: Backdrops for Softbox

Hi John

I have the same. I have not attempted to iron out the creases I expect they would melt To be honest I have never found the creases to be a problem with the white and black back drops. I shoot wide open when using the soft box at close range so the creases disappear into the focus blur. If I get some residual marks I either clone them out or the best trick with black is to open up levels take the black dropper and click a couple of times on the darkest area of the background. You can do the same with other colours but you need to extra careful so as not to clip the colours in the subject itself.

If you bought the set with the two lamps you will find that the lamps are not quite bright enough for most stuff. I invariably fire my flash through one side of the softbox (you will need an off camera cable) and use the lamps and a ceiling light to fill the areas that are not directly lit by flash. You will need to turn the power down on the flash to avoid blowing out the subject and getting nasty shadows. These images were taken using a similar soft box

As far as paper backdrops are concerned you need to watch how you line the box. You need to avoid joins so a roll of paper is probably best. Rather than paper I would be tempted to go for some fabric off cuts with a dull velvety finish. You can get bright spots when using paper where the light bounces off. I use matt finish art card for back drops outside the light box.

Backdrops for Softbox

Backdrops for Softbox

Backdrops for Softbox

Backdrops for Softbox

Backdrops for Softbox

rob marshall

You could drop an email to the maker and ask if it can be ironed. Steaming it while it's hanging might also do it.

I use velvet sometimes for a black backdrop as it absorbs any stray light much more than black paper, which can give an unwanted slight sheen. You can buy proper backdrop paper like this. Or, if you want it cheaper, try a local art shop.

Many thanks Steve and Rob,

Superb images Steve - something for me to aspire to. I particularly like the polaroid effect on the glass btw.
    I will go shopping tomorrow Rob to find some black velvet material.

Cheers
    John

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by John B Walker View Post
    I will go shopping tomorrow Rob to find some black velvet material.

Not sure where you are, but try a local fabric/curtain shop. It should be on a roll, and it's pretty cheap. You could also see if they have any white material that might be suitable.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

I was about to search for appropriate backdrops today... & here we have the answers already... So Velvet cloth it is....
    Rob, whats better. Velvet cloth or Velvet paper sheet?

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    I was about to search for appropriate backdrops today... & here we have the answers already... So Velvet cloth it is....
    Rob, whats better. Velvet cloth or Velvet paper sheet?
    I find velvet cloth is better because it has a short pile (I can't believe I'm sitting here discussing fabrics ) which tends to trap any stray light and doesn't reflect at all - which is what you want. Also, if you go to a good art or stationery store you should be able to get a pack or loose selection of art papers in different colours (inc black). You can paste/tape them to an office box file so it is self-supporting. See example below. The one in the shot has white paper, and it's also good as a small reflector, which is how I was using it here. For larger items you will need A3 sheets taped to a large piece of art board (see the piece in shot below at the back against the wall). Cheap - that's what I am!

Backdrops for Softbox

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Wow! Cool...
    And what that thing you have kept under the vase/pot?!?! A normal tinted glass?
    Cheap - that's what I am!
    Troubleshooter.. a DIY guy.... You are..

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Not sure where you are, but try a local fabric/curtain shop. It should be on a roll, and it's pretty cheap. You could also see if they have any white material that might be suitable.
    Thanks Rob,

I live in Canterbury where there is a nice fabric shop - which is also near a nice pub - sorted!!

Cheers

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    Wow! Cool...
    And what that thing you have kept under the vase/pot?!?! A normal tinted glass?
    No, Sahil, it's my secret weapon - black perspex. In fact I'm just about to post some shots I did this afternoon with it.