Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Recommended Digital Photography Books

Real Name
    Ali

Recommended Digital Photography Books

What books do you consider "industry standard" for digital photography?

I have been using a few general ones from Scot Kelby and Martin Evening (suggested by folks here on this site) and they are great but now I am more interested in book like this one with specific more granular details.

Lighting is something I like to read about in more detail; also composition, lenses, exposure, basically everything!

I appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Thanks.
    Last edited by McQ; 20th January 2009 at 10:13 PM. Reason: split thread

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Recommended Digital Photography Books

I suspect that more trees have been felled on Photoshop books than just about any other!

But here goes ...

Understanding lighting:
    Light: Science & Magic

RAW
    Real World Camera RAW (CS2 by Bruce Fraser, CS3 by Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe)

Colour Management
    Real World Color Management by Fraser, Murphy, and Bunting

Sharpening
    Real World Image Sharpening by Bruce Fraser
    (mentioned here: When/How to Best Sharpen a Digital Photograph).

Skin Tones
    Skin, by Lee Varis

LAB Colour
    The Canyon Conundrum by Dan Margulis

Scott Kelby's books are great - and personally, I like his style, (and have many of his) - but they're geared more towards helping photographers "get traction" with existing tools. Very valuable stuff indeed, but in a different category to what I personally call "industry standard"

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Colin
    Last edited by McQ; 20th January 2009 at 10:35 PM.

Guess I would add:

Colour correction
    Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction, by Dan Margulis.
    Last edited by McQ; 21st January 2009 at 03:02 AM.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

I'm currently perusing the excellent Digital Photography Masterclass by Tom Ang. It was a present this Christmas. But I wonder, why bother when you've got a site like this. Seriously, every question I've had since I converted to pixels has been answered here. If you can take constructive critique, then you're on to a winner here. I've posted some bad pictures which have been turned into crackers by following the advice given here. I learn something new every other day.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 22nd February 2009 at 09:25 AM.

Real Name
    Ali

Thanks for the references. I agree with Chelseablue about this site. I have learned a lot just by following some of the threads here. The problem is that there are things that I hear here and I use them as keywords and read about them. That way we can preserve the engery of the masters for more important stuff. Of course, comments we get on the pictures we or others post here are real life lessons and invaluable. You can not find them in any book.

By the way, does anyone know what happend to Antonio? Where is he? Everytime I crop a picture square, I think of him...
    Last edited by Alis; 21st January 2009 at 03:10 AM.

Real Name
    Daniel

Hi, you could also check

Understanding Exposure and Understanding Shutter Speed, both by Bryan Peterson.

Cheers,
    Daniel

Recommended reading (books and online resources)

Selected reading together in a single thread is a good idea. Also as well as books online resources, web page tutorials, ebook style tutorial like pdf tutorials etc, and white papers etc are welcome too (they are often missed as don't read as fluid as a book but journals and white papers etc often contain detailed info you don't see elsewhere).

One of the most useful online tutorials I've found is here but many will know as they found the forums through the tutorial section (myself included). I mention it in case some come direct to the forums, in that case the tutorial section is highly recommended viewing.
    Last edited by McQ; 26th March 2009 at 01:24 AM. Reason: merged threads

Re: Recommended reading (books and online resources)

After floundering around with "digital stuff," I read Digital Photography for Dummies. Well worth the time. There are chapters on f-stops, etc.,that you can either read or skip.

I'm now reading Tom Ang's book, Digital Photography Master Class. It is also great but not for beginners.

BillTexas.