Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A general zoom for a Nikon D 7000

Real Name
    Burkhard nickname " Willy "

A general zoom for a Nikon D 7000

I have been looking for a general zoom for my Nikon D 7000 as I bought body only. At present I have the 18-135mm Nikon , the 70-300mm Nikon VR and a Sigma 50-500mm lens. With the number of Nikon and non Nikon lenses around there really is a vast assortment of focal lengths available. The pro lenses are mostly out my range as a pensioner. There is the new Tamron zoom with the piezo drive 18-270mm just recently launched in December ? I'm open to any assistance with good advice from personal use of their recommendations. Any recommendations ?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: A general zoom for a Nikon D 7000

Hi Willy,

I think, with what you have, I'm not sure I see the point in spending more money on another lens that just covers the same focal lengths and apertures as you already have.

I suspect that the wide range Tamrom (18-270mm) will have more image qulity issues than your current Nikon pair does. Not to mention the size and weight of carrying another lens about.

I would have thought you'd be better exploring either wider angles (below 18mm) or wider apertures; f2.8 or wider, with a prime lens, but that's just me

Welcome to the CiC forums from ....

Real Name
    Gerald Polachak

I got a d7000 for Christmas with the tamron 18-270. I am very happy with them so far. BUT I am new to photography. The pictures posted in my album are all from the tamron.I also got the new tamron macro for the d7000

Real Name
    Shane Kupono Costa

I agree with Dave. You already have 18-500mm covered. I would probably go for speed (wider aperture).