Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I'm new, please be gentle!!

Real Name
    Donna

I'm new, please be gentle!!

Hi All,

I'm new to the site and except for my first post in the intro section of the forum, this is my first 'proper' post.

I'm fairly new to photography and have a Samsung NX10 camera. Also don't have photoshop yet and so have just been editing images using the basic Microsoft Office picture manager program. I will be investing in Elements 9 soon.

Would anyone be so kind as to have look at my following set on Flickr and make any comments/critiques please? Feel free to have a nosy round and comment on any of my other sets too!! The set I've posted the link for were all taken in Hastings, UK. As many of the UK guys on the site will know, the pier burnt down late last year and has made for some really interesting photo opps!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5490783...th/5154451691/

I woud post some pics straight on the thread, but can't get it to work

Thanks everyone

Re: I'm new, please be gentle!!

Hi Donna. Actually, this site is the easiest. Just 3 steps - 1. Just click on the "click here to upload pictures" button, "browse" till you find your full size pic, set size for picnik to downsize to and "upload". THEN 2. click on the url below the pic, copy and paste it in the thread (where you wrote your url). Then 3. press "Go advanced" at the bottom of the page and change the name of the thread (this is mainly needed if you are posting in the competitions.
    BTW, I looked at your flickr site and loved the sea gulls and the couple looking at the pier.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Donna

Diane's given you one of the quickest ways to get images into your posts.

You may have read the information about posting images that I posted when I replied to your introductory post. If not, here it is again. This explains options for getting your pictures into your posts.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Right ... now that I've told you about that thread with info about posting images and looked at the slideshow of that Hastings gallery on Flickr ....... I definitely hope you take the time to learn how to put images into your posts on here.

There's some very, very good, imaginative and creative stuff on there. Sure there are some technical issues, but those are easily addressed through learning and practice and having decent post-processing software. Having good post-processing software and gaining a good knowledge of it, along with all the help that you'll get on here will, I hope, help you with your development.

The creative eye and imagination are already there - that is obvious.

Real Name
    Donna

Thank you both for your comments. I will definitely learn how to put images on here and start posting more for comment and critique.

I'm new, please be gentle!!
    A seat by the sea by DonnaSmiley, on Flickr
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 18th January 2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: add image inline

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Donna,

I had a quick look around the rest of your stream and as Donald says, you have an eye for a picture and you don't do too bad at getting the camera to produce the results for you either.

I like Stella (in the park) and some of the Yorkshire shots, oh and "028".

I started with Elements (and still have it), so a good choice in my opinion

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Donna, Welcome to CiC. The one I like most on your photostream was the "A seat by the sea". Dave posted it here so others can see it. As what Donald said, you have an eye for pictures. Good shots!
    Last edited by jiro; 19th January 2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: quote image

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Donna, Welcome to CiC. I took one of your shots (the one I like most) and posted it here so others can see it. As what Donald said, you have an eye for pictures. Good shots!
    Thanks for doing the work Jiro, I have copied the image into one of Donna's post because it can get confusing even though you had fully referenced it as being her work.

Hope you don't mind,

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Donna and welcome to CiC,

I did have a quick look at your portfolio and I do like it. As the others have said you have a good eye and developing your own style.

I do look forward to you both posting and commenting on images. You certainly have something to offer this group.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Thanks for doing the work Jiro, I have copied the image into one of Donna's post because it can get confusing even though you had fully referenced it as being her work.

Hope you don't mind,
    Not at all, Dave. I just want to help a fellow 'newbie'. Hehe. I'll edit my post then. Thanks!

Hi,
    Why should I be gentle,polite may be...of course!You have a good eye,a good hand,a sensible soul, so You are good enough, WELCOME!
    Last edited by Radu Dinu Cordeanu; 19th January 2011 at 07:54 AM.

Real Name
    Tommy

Some great pics! I especially like the photos of your pets

How long have you been taking photos?

Real Name
    Donna

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Some great pics! I especially like the photos of your pets

How long have you been taking photos?
    Evening all, thank you so much for your comments, I'm blown away by how nice you are all being!!

I have been taking photos just with my Samsung NX10 since around October last year. I'm hoping to get a full SLR next month (probably Canon 500D) so watch this space to see if I can master that camera!!

Real Name
    Tommy

Well you've taken a lot of great photos for someone who hasn't been shooting all that long! You're a natural! Looking forward to seeing more shots!

I only wish my talent had progressed as quickly

Real Name
    Paul

Nice work, I like the portfolio as well. You will figure out a new camera rather fast I think, no fear.