Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Melancholy

Real Name
    Rohn

Melancholy

C&C please - this is my first attempt at a post here - want to know what viewers think about this shot - in general - I shot this at the LA Zoo through a screened in area - thanks

monkey.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 17th January 2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: add image inline

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Melancholy

Welcome to CiC Rohn,

I love the pose and those eyes. You have a good eye for composition.

I am sure you are well aware of the problems of shooting in such terriblly bright light, which has caused the hair on this little chaps back and the top of the eyebrow to blow out but I am sure he didn’t listen when you asked him to move into the shade. Well maybe he did and that’s the look he gave you.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 17th January 2011 at 01:32 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Rohn,

I see you've had problems because it has been shot through mesh

These fences are a PITA at zoos and, as you've discovered, even getting up close to it doesn't completely solve the problem, particularly if it is sunlit - if you can; always shade the mesh in front of the lens with the lens hood or a hand if at all possible.

Other tricks are, if available, chosing an area of fine mesh and/or dark coloured mesh. Also of course, getting more distance between the mesh and animal and zero distance between mesh and lens.

You have applied the other best practice; that of getting (at least one of) the subject's eye between the mesh.

However, this could be improved in post processing, though not fully, but enough to be worth it in my view.

I am wondering what PP software you have?
    And do you shoot RAW?

Cheers,

As Dave said, if you shot Raw you can do a lot more with processing to turn this into a superb photo.

Even if a Jpeg, I would probably use an adjustment layer with Curves on a mask to do some subtle selective adjustments to give a better contrast.

And there is a little bit of background noise. My simple method to improve this, which usually works well with my insect photos, is to carefully use the Blur Tool on the problem areas. But don't overdo it, just a slight reduction will make all the difference.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 17th January 2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: extra paragraph

Real Name
    Rohn

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Rohn,

I see you've had problems because it has been shot through mesh

These fences are a PITA at zoos and, as you've discovered, even getting up close to it doesn't completely solve the problem, particularly if it is sunlit - if you can; always shade the mesh in front of the lens with the lens hood or a hand if at all possible.

Other tricks are, if available, chosing an area of fine mesh and/or dark coloured mesh. Also of course, getting more distance between the mesh and animal and zero distance between mesh and lens.

You have applied the other best practice; that of getting (at least one of) the subject's eye between the mesh.

However, this could be improved in post processing, though not fully, but enough to be worth it in my view.

I am wondering what PP software you have?
    And do you shoot RAW?

Cheers,
    I'm using Photoshop CS3 and yes I do shoot RAW. Appreciate your comments. Thanks

Real Name
    Rohn

Thanks I will try some of your suggestions. I uploaded a jpg but I still have the RAW image. Thanks

Real Name
    Rohn

Thanks Peter Ryan - yes it was the middle of the afternoon - not the best time to shoot - but the only time available to me that day - and no he didn't listen when I asked him to move into the shade - appreciate the help - I will post others soon

Real Name
    Rohn

Thanks Geoff F I'll give it a shot - I do shoot RAW - Thanks