Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Red Light and Flashing

Red Light and Flashing

Ha Ha thought that would get your attention. The subject matter is a little mundane I am afraid but it seemed a reasonable challenge for the experiments. I have used domestic level laser light before but here the light was moved around more randomly during the exposure. I then tried an LED flashlight which gives a nice cold blue light. Again the light is moved around the subject during exposure. What I did find was that it works best if I only used the light source for half the exposure time otherwise I got nasty red and white blinkies everywhere. The laser image is borderline and probably could have done with a coule of seconds less.

This one uses domestic level laser. Exposure is 20 sec, f/5.6, manual.

Th technique is a bit rough at present (as the images show) but I can see distinct possibilities. Comment welcome as always and lets get some of our new recruits commenting. I don't bite.....much

Red Light and Flashing

This uses a LED flash light slowly moved around the subject for half the exposure time of 6 secs. f/5.6 AV Mode

Red Light and Flashing

Again LED flashlight. 15 sec exposure f/5.6 Manual

Red Light and Flashing

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Red Light and Flashing

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Ha Ha thought that would get your attention.
    D..., fell for it. Is that because I'm a middle-aged male?

This uses a LED flash light slowly moved around the subject for half the exposure time of 6 secs. f/5.6 AV Mod
    Do you believe that that accounts for what I can only describe as the amazing clarity on the ... (what is it - one of your perfume bottles?).

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    D..., fell for it. Is that because I'm a middle-aged male?
    then what's my excuse?

very cool idea Steve...I am reverting now to gender stereotype and wanting to see some of this technique with women's footwear.....or clothing as the subject matter.

#1 - my wee eye gets a bit confused - but that may well be me trying to figure it out rather than just enjoy it, #2 is my favourite.

p.s - from your 'signature' options so far for 2011 I think the Bar Code suits you & your work best.

Yes it is one of my 'male grooming' products. What we used to call aftershave in the sane days. I need scent to tone down the raw scent of male testosterone...a bit like the Hai Karate advert but with far less enthusiasm

Do you believe that that accounts for what I can only describe as the amazing clarity on the ...
    I do believe it is. I read an article a few months ago in a photographic magazine (no not those ones) that described a way of taking several shots with the light hitting the subject at a different angle for each shot. The shots were then merged in PP. Being a lazy sausage I decided to shortcut that an move the light around during the exposure. Sort of light painting for the delicately constituted.

Real Name
    Raylee

Hi Steve

The possibilities with the technique used in number 1 are huge. The red laser light makes for a really eerie feeling. I like the colours and lighting in number 2 but to me, it is an example of commercial product photography - nice (sorry). I'd like to see an enlargement of the top of the bottle for an abstract effect. I really like the way the like is reflecting on the edge of the metal ring. Number 3 really grabs my attention.

You have such great ideas! Thanks for sharing. I might have to go in search of a laser light if they haven't been banned because of people misusing them at sporting events.

R

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Steve,

I like #2 best for the clarity, for me #3 is the 'product photo'.

#1 has potential, but as you say, isn't optimal, I bet you come back with something better before long (no pressure)

Cheers,

Real Name
    Peter

Interesting work Steve - what white balance setting do you use?

Real Name
    Peter

I like them all. The idea of photographing with a laser as a light source is fabulous.

One suggestion, you can buy theatrical gels to generate other colours. They are cheap and come in a huge range.

See http://www.sabre-international.com/l...lter_gels.html

Peter.

Real Name
    Paul

They are all great, but I too like #2 for it's clearity. I have to try a little of this sometime soon.

Real Name
    Remco

Quote Originally Posted by MixedHerbs View Post
    I like them all. The idea of photographing with a laser as a light source is fabulous.

One suggestion, you can buy theatrical gels to generate other colours. They are cheap and come in a huge range.

Peter.
    Not on a 'standard' laser, I'm afraid: a domestic level laser is monochromatic light, all a filter would do is change the intensity.

Real Name
    neil

these are very interesting shots....

I can imagine on a cold night in warrington you might start thinking about trying things like this for fun :

No. 3 for me

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by tihsgod View Post
    I can imagine on a cold night in warrington...
    You must have a very vivid imagination...

Steve

I like these. Excellent clarity and colours. I'm a bit confused about your lighting. Did you use a laser light and an LED flashlight? What was the laser light?. I recently bought a good LED flash light for walking, but thought it might also be good for lighting shots like this. I bought one of these...http://www.amazon.co.uk/LED-Lenser-P...4928610&sr=8-2 It gives a very even beam (which can be adjusted) and has very little distortion in the light cast, which you tend to get with torches with cheaper lenses. Is that the sort of thing you used?

I like the shots!

it is an example of commercial product photography - nice (sorry)
    I know Raylee but I have this concern that I will emerge from PP one day and find that I have forgotten how to operate the camera These shots remind me I can still hold a snapshot up to Uncle Herbert and his instamatic.
    #1 has potential, but as you say, isn't optimal, I bet you come back with something better before long (no pressure)
    Dave, there is a lot of work to do yet. I need to experiment with different durations of exposure. This was pure guess work. I may try something less reflective in future I think I was being a little too ambitious.

Interesting work Steve - what white balance setting do you use?
    I would love to give you a setting but I am afraid the camera is always set to Auto WB. I shoot RAW and adjust WB by eye. I do not always mind about accuracy so long as I get the effect I want.
    One suggestion, you can buy theatrical gels to generate other colours. They are cheap and come in a huge range
    Peter, I fear Remco is correct about the laser light but gels can be used on the LED light. I have tried this in the past using sweetie wrappers and the tinted clear sheets of plastic card you can buy at craft shops. These can be cut to shape and attached to the flash head with the velcro that I use to attach my ketchup bottle diffuser and my magifoam half snoot. Skin flint...who me?

I can imagine on a cold night in warrington you might start thinking about trying things like this for fun :
    Well there is nowt else to do when the whippets are bedded down and and the sun has disappeared behind the gas works

I like these. Excellent clarity and colours. I'm a bit confused about your lighting. Did you use a laser light and an LED flashlight?
    Rob, I only used the laser on No 1. No other light sources and in darkened room. 2 and 3 are LED light only

What was the laser light?
    One of these. WireVixen bought it to straighten me out. It also has a metal detector built in so she can hunt for my loose change

I bought one of these...http://www.amazon.co.uk/LED-Lens...1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294928610&sr=8-2 It gives a very even beam (which can be adjusted) and has very little distortion in the light cast, which you tend to get with torches with cheaper lenses. Is that the sort of thing you used?
    I used THIS the main advantage of this type of thing is that it can be free standing and the angle of beam adjusted. The optical quality is not top notch I think your torch will give far better results. The other disadvantage of the Stanley is that it takes 9 AA batteries although it will operate with 3 or 6 with reduced output (the batteries are housed in each leg). This unit also has a filter that can be switched from narrow to wide beam.

very cool idea Steve...I am reverting now to gender stereotype and wanting to see some of this technique with women's footwear.....or clothing as the subject matter.

#1 - my wee eye gets a bit confused - but that may well be me trying to figure it out rather than just enjoy it, #2 is my favourite.

p.s - from your 'signature' options so far for 2011 I think the Bar Code suits you & your work best.
    Thanks for the comments Kay. Watch this space for the shoes I agree about the sig also. I will revert back to the barcode.

Forgot to add. The laser level does not give a spot beam but rather a narrow line of light so I am not sure if a pen laser or the like would be suitable. May be worth a try though.

Real Name
    Rebecca

You could ask me about these gels dad, considering I am a fully fledged 'Prody' now
    We are also doing a lighting unit at the moment which involves us working with the gels, I do sometimes get the urge to take a few of the gels for photography purposes. But I manage to refrain myself hahaha!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccalouisephotography View Post
    ... considering I am a fully fledged 'Prody' now
    Say that in the west of Scotland and half the population would celebrate you and start singing a little folk ditty called 'The Sash', whilst the other half (The Tims) would attack you.

But that's enough about the religious bigotry between Protestants and Catholics in west central Scotland!

Say that in the west of Scotland and half the population would celebrate you and start singing a little folk ditty called 'The Sash', whilst the other half (The Tims) would attack you.
    She is a Prody but her ancestry is of Ua Niall...undoubtably heavily mixed up with your Tims in days of yore.

I do sometimes get the urge to take a few of the gels for photography purposes
    Don't you dare. The family has still not recovered from the stigma when Great Uncle Henrietta got caught lifting support corsets from ladiesware in Marks and Spencer. I mean - the shame of the whole street knowing you shopped at M&S