Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Resizing a lot of images at once

Real Name
    Jonathan

Resizing a lot of images at once

Hello,

As some of you already know, I'm just a kid in the world of photography. I usually shot at 1600 x 1200 pixels, but for sharing images on web, forums I've seen that it's better to user smaller resolutions. Do you know how I can resize many images at once? I have GIMP and a version of Photo Impression with a few resources. So, if you have any tips with these softwares of with another one which is free - because at the moment I've already spent some money on photography books - I'd be glad. (Okay, can be in other softwares, sure, because in the future I'll shall buy some and also, the information is going to be useful for everyone =D)

Thank you a lot in advance!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Resizing a lot of images at once

If you upload your images via Flickr, all you need to do is to select the size you want to use in sharing your images and they will automatically resize it for you. The other advantage is that you keep the original uploaded files in their native sizes. That's how I've been doing it since I joined CiC. Wait for others to reply so you can find out their techniques, too.

Are you talking about resizing photos which are straight from the camera, Jonathan?

After cropping, my images end up at a variety of dimensions, although I tend to standardise them a bit during the editing process. Then do any final individual resizing for web use (dimensions and resolution) as the last stage after safely saving the full size edits.

For web use, I normally end up with a size of 800 pixels on the wide edge by 96 pixels per inch.

There are a number of editing programmes which allow you to do batch resizing; but make sure that you are only working with copies not your originals.

Real Name
    Mark

Irfanview will do batch conversions and its freeware.

Real Name
    Jonathan

Hello,

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Geoff, yes, after passing it to the computer. At the moment I haven't started to do post-processing yet =D trying to learn the basics first.

Jiro, it seems very practical for my purposes.

whited3, I'll take a look at that.