Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Problems with RAW files

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

Problems with RAW files

Hi ,

took my first pictures today in RAW...hummm!!! My computer didn't like it...took forever to see something, to process it....Is it normal ? Does it take more ' space' ?

Real Name
    Pops

Re: Raw

What program are you using to open the RAW files? It will normally take longer to load a RAW than a JPG, because the RAWs are larger and more detailed. Being larger, yes, they take more space. Sometimes a lot more and others just somewhat more.

Pops

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

What camera are you using?

What software are you using to process your RAWs?

What are the specs of your computer?

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

My laptop used to act up too, when the RAM was 1GB. Now its 2.5GB & its pretty smooth now... Other specs, remained constant...

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    My laptop used to act up too, when the RAM was 1GB. Now its 2.5GB & its pretty smooth now... Other specs, remained constant...
    Vista by any chance?

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Bingo

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

HI,

I have Vista ( just hate it since I have it) and I have a lot of space on it and it's a 2.50GB, with a Canon Rebel T2I. I use the Zoombrowser EX ( don't really understand it), Picasa and I play with Photofiltre sometimes...

My computer don't want to send them, or I edit some a bit ( like crop for example) then, my computer will ' forget' or put a ' pink' blaze on it, etc...just a nightmare...My camera allows me to have RAW AND JPEG at the same time...I'll try that the next time...in my manual, they suggest to use the software that comes with the camera...but I tried it and couldn't send it...?? Weird...I'll study more those 2 software but quite frustrating....!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Marie Josee

In a post above, Colin asked what camera you are using. If we know that then we will be better able to support your learning.

in my manual, they suggest to use the software that comes with the camera
    If it is a Canon, then I think the software that came with the camera is called Digital Photo Professional (DPP). Is that correct?

rob marshall

Hi Marie

If you have a Rebel it should have DPP (Digital Photo Professional) which I think comes with all Canon cameras. It's quite good at RAW editing, but not as good as Photoshop. You also need some photo editing (after RAW edit) and again, Photoshop is very good, but there are many others. Have you thought about getting Photoshop?

For the record, and apart from a MAC, the best setup (I think) is a 64bit PC running Windows 7 and Photoshop.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    In a post above, Colin asked what camera you are using. If we know that then we will be better able to support your learning.

If it is a Canon, then I think the software that came with the camera is called Digital Photo Professional (DPP). Is that correct?
    Been on the pop again? She said it was a Canon...tuh!

Are you downloading your photos to your hard drive using the Canon EOS Utility option, Marie-Josee?

Some editing software does cause problems if you attempt to download directly. Once downloaded your Raw (and Jpeg) photos should automatically show in the Canon DPP programme; but you don't have to use this software to do your editing if you prefer to use another option.

I found that DPP is a rather basic editor and fairly simple to understand although the instructions (from the DPP Help files) do take a bit of comprehending. Eventually, to save confusion, I set my DPP options to just show the Raw files.

I wonder if you have a problem about where on your hard drive your photos are being stored? There are a number of alternatives here, although with my Windows XP the EOS Utility automatically defaults to the My Pictures folder.

Now, I use other Raw software; but it is quite a bit more complicated than DPP.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    Bingo
    Consider replacing it with Windows 7 (it's what Vista should have been in the first place). Seriously, I've been GIVEN laptops running Vista that are just too slow to be productive - I've put Windows 7 on it, and now it's just fine.

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

Thanks !

I do use the DPP that came with my CANON..but computer still being crazy...I can see my pictures, then, a purple/pink haze comes on it...Just weird....I'll check for Windows 7 as I was thinking about that earlier too....Since I have that Vista, I had nothing else then trouble with every thing around it: printers, fax, etc....It seems everytime that computer scan itself or reload, it ' forgets' !??

I do download my pictures using the EOS Utility as my computer was ' set' to use itself to download and that, brought me so much troubles...so I did fix that one....Every thing is a learning curves.... Thanks...should be able to post pix....soon....LOL !!

Real Name
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by mariejo View Post
    Thanks !

I do use the DPP that came with my CANON..but computer still being crazy...I can see my pictures, then, a purple/pink haze comes on it...Just weird....I'll check for Windows 7 as I was thinking about that earlier too....Since I have that Vista, I had nothing else then trouble with every thing around it: printers, fax, etc....It seems everytime that computer scan itself or reload, it ' forgets' !??

I do download my pictures using the EOS Utility as my computer was ' set' to use itself to download and that, brought me so much troubles...so I did fix that one....Every thing is a learning curves.... Thanks...should be able to post pix....soon....LOL !!
    Marie:

First of all, hi from another part of Vancouver. Secondly, I have a Canon as well (Rebel XTi) and use DPP & the EOS Utility but have no problems using either one. (I am still using XP Pro as I refuse to use Vista.) I would have to say it's Vista messing with your imaging software. I would suggest, since you are getting a pink haze, is to look for a graphics driver upgrade. In my experience with computers, when you get a glitch like that, the best place to start is a driver upgrade. Also, if your computer is still a decent one, go for a RAM upgrade. That is the least expensive yet one of the most effective ways to upgrade a system.

Cheers!

Len

Real Name
    Peter

Colin is right, as usual - get rid of Vista and replace it with either 7 or XP. Go for a clean install, and start afresh.

Your machine sounds bad, even for Vista - you may have malware, which will impact the performance, possibly severely.

Good luck!