Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox add-on: Open with Photoshop

rob marshall

Firefox add-ons

OPEN WITH PHOTOSHOP

Open with Photoshop

This one is really useful. Once installed you just right-click on any image, select 'open with Photoshop', and it opens it directly in your version of Photoshop. No need to save the file first, then look for it and load it to PS. If you load an image from CiC that was originally posted at say 1024px (but was rescaled on CiC to 700px) it will load the original 1024 version. Neat!

Works for any image, either in a forum or on a direct webpage.
    Last edited by rob marshall; 8th January 2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: title change

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Firefox add-ons

Thanks Rob,

That works a treat - and it'll encourage me to use CS5 rather than Elements

Cheers,

rob marshall

Re: Firefox add-ons: Histogram Viewer

Histogram viewer

View a histogram of an image. You just right-click an image and select 'show histogram of image' and up it pops. You can select all channels, or individual colour channels. It gives some statistics on the light spread, which is quite useful.

Firefox add-on: Open with Photoshop

And this is the viewer in action.

If you go into options for the add-on (TOOLS/ADDONS) and select 'allow multiple histograms' you can have more than one open. They are pop-ups so they collapse when you create a new one, but you can reopen the previous one and have them side-by-side on the page. They sit on top of one another so you need to drag the top one away. That's a clever little add-on!

Last edited by rob marshall; 8th January 2011 at 03:17 PM.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Thanks Rob,

That works a treat - and it'll encourage me to use CS5 rather than Elements

Cheers,
    I think it should open up whatever your default version is of PS. Or did you mean something else?

rob marshall

Re: Firefox add-ons: EXIF viewer by Alan Raskin

EXIF viewer

Extracts and displays the Exif (Exchangeable Image File), metadata, as stored by digital still cameras, in both local and remote JPEG images.

I find the best way to use this is just to display the basic information (it's a tick-box selection) If you want more detailed info you can un-check it and select 'display EXIF' again.

rob marshall

Re: Firefox add-ons: Forum tags plus

Forum tags Plus

On right click, Copies the pictures URL and adds Image tags img or copies selected text and adds quote tags for posting on message boards. Forum Tags PLUS allows Multi Tag lists of images, quotes, or a combination of both.

You can go through a thread tagging (selecting) single or multiple images and/or text entries from different posts and then paste them into your post. It does not put the original poster screen-name in the quotes, but just uses plain quote tags.

rob marshall

Re: Firefox add-ons: British Dictionary

British Dictionary

This extension packages David Bartlett's British English Dictionary R1.19 for Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey.

When it is installed, and you have restarted Firefox check that you have 'check my spelling as I type' ticked in TOOLS/OPTIONS/ADVANCED. Any words you type that are incorrect are underscored on the text entry page. The yellow highlights in the screen-shot below illustrate the incorrect words, and the highlighting was added by me.

Real Name
    Elise

Re: Firefox add-ons: British Dictionary

Thanks so much, Rob -- I am forever downloading my own pictures from flickr (because they're either not on my laptop or not on my desktop and of course I need them on the one they're not on ) and this allows me to skip the download part, just work on them in PS and then save them. This is great!

Edited to add: I've already used it about 20 times today, because I'm collecting images for a class I'm going to teach. Thanks again.
    Last edited by mythlady; 8th January 2011 at 09:23 PM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    I think it should open up whatever your default version is of PS. Or did you mean something else?
    Something else

Thanks for the latest two, duly installed adn in use.

rob marshall

Re: Firefox add-ons; Colour tabs

This one is very 60's hippy, groovy colours for your tabs. I set mine up by domain name, so they are always the same colour for each site. Helps avoid deleting the wrong tab They say 13m people have downloaded this one!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1368/

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Rob,

The open with Photoshop will be really handy. Thank you for the link mate.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Boy View Post
    Rob,

The open with Photoshop will be really handy. Thank you for the link mate.
    Mark

Yes, it's really good, isn't it. I was surprised it loaded the original images over 700px from CiC, rather than the rescaled one at 700. Useful is you want to do an edit of someones shot. And it works on any image on any site.

Try the colour tabs in the last post above. Very

Real Name
    Troy

I've never needed to save the image just to open in photoshop. I just right click - copy image, then open photoshop and paste. photoshop is smart enough to know the exact size of any image copied to the clipboard.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by pwnage101 View Post
    I've never needed to save the image just to open in photoshop. I just right click - copy image, then open photoshop and paste. photoshop is smart enough to know the exact size of any image copied to the clipboard.
    Surely you need to do a FILE/NEW first? You can't just do a paste after opening PS, can you? Using the add-on does that for you.

Real Name
    Troy

Surely you need to do a FILE/NEW first? You can't just do a paste after opening PS, can you? Using the add-on does that for you.
    yes, but you can also drag the image directly onto photoshop

Real Name
    Paul

Damn I didn't know you could do that
    Right clicking saves me from opening PS first though
    Many thanks for the info Rob. Hapily my spelling is prefect, love the coloured tabs though

Real Name

This one is very 60's hippy, groovy colours for your tabs. I set mine up by domain name, so they are always the same colour for each site. Helps avoid deleting the wrong tab They say 13m people have downloaded this one!
    Thanks Rob,

I'll be grabbing this one too in a moment 13,000,001

You can always right click on any tab and "Undo Close Tab" (but not in IE)

Cheers,

rob marshall

Not if PS isn't loaded. The add-on loads the default PS as well...

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by bambleweeney View Post
    love the coloured tabs though
    Yeah (man) 1969, groove...

rob marshall

Re: Firefox add-on: Buttons

This is in two parts.

PART 1

To get some extra standard buttons on your FF tool you can use this add-on for Toolbar Buttons

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2377/

To drag them onto your toolbar just right click the tool bar and select customize, and you should have the new one listed in the panel. They include standard ones for Google, Wiki etc. If you want to go onto a second toolbar line use it to create a new toolbar, then add a button to it, and make sure the new toolbar is shown from the VIEW menu.

PART 2

If you want to create your own buttons and add those, you will need the add-on Custom Buttons2

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5066/

To add a new button select VIEW/ADD NEW BUTTON from the main menu. That gives you this...

The button name is just to identify it. The image address is to upload an image for the button. This one is for a button to take me straight to latest threads on CiC, so I use my avatar image. The code is to action the button.

To start a webpage in a new tab use this...
    Code:
    getBrowser (). addTab ("https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/latest.php");
    To start a webpage in the same tab use this
    Code:
    loadURI ("http://www.google.com");

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast