Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tears

Powerful!

It isn't often that a photograph - all on it's own - moves me so much.

http://gallery.davidduchemin.com/#mi...1&p=1&a=0&at=0

I don't cry often but this made tears roll down my cheeks - all from one image!
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 5th January 2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Changed title to manspeak

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Powerful!

Indeed. A commentary on our society.

I glibly write on here about wanting this or that lens. For millions in the world, the primary thought is about how to survive.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Katy, if you would have the chance, try to get hold of this book by David DuChemin - "WITHIN THE FRAME, The Journey of Photographic Vision". You will further understand why David shoots this kind of images... from the heart. I have a copy of the book and I never stop to enjoy reading it over and over again. It's not only eye candy but also food for the soul to any photographer out there.

You are totally right, powerful images, indeed! Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Elise

I did an online workshop with David, and he's really wonderful. It was about developing your vision. Jiro, that's a great book, isn't it?

He has a nice e-book here, for $5.00. Actually, I think the whole Craft & Vision site is his baby, and there's lots of great stuff available.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    I did an online workshop with David, and he's really wonderful. It was about developing your vision. Jiro, that's a great book, isn't it?

He has a nice e-book here, for $5.00. Actually, I think the whole Craft & Vision site is his baby, and there's lots of great stuff available.
    Oh, yeah. A lot of the books out there are more into the technical side of photography. David DuChemin's book, if I may say talks more about bringing out the true photographer in you - the one with the vision. Aside from Henri Cartier Bresson, and Robert Capa, I feed myself a lot with DuChemin's philosophy about photography.

When I first got my camera in June, I went online and waded through way too many books. I was looking for a book that wasn't for a complete novice but, I didn't really understand the exposure triangle, yet. I decided that I needed to flip through a book before buying it. I went to Borders and picked up the book that you mention. At the risk of sounding like a hyper emotional person, I stood there trembling - I was flipping through and reading and I was so incredibly inspired. You see, the book speaks across disciplines and was speaking to me as a photographer, pianist and singer. I put it down and bought a book that gave me the basics. When I went back to get "Within the Frame", it wasn't there and I couldn't remember the title. I tell you all this because, I wanted to read it so badly that I spent HOURS scrolling through lists of books and bugging the sales assistants looking for it. I found it, read it and LOVE it!!!

I am, now, considering moving up to "Lightroom" instead of Photoshop, A) because Antonio just recommended this idea to me, B) because I've been wanting to read David duChemin's book on post processing and I've just realized that it's for pursuing your vision in Lightroom. I have questions but I don't know what version my little, simple computer can handle.

Anyway, I'm, like, a disciple of his. He's in the background of everything that I do. Well, I mean, what he wrote in that book.

Elise, you lucky, lucky duck!!!

Real Name
    Martyn

Re: Tears

i dont like it , it doesnt look real,ie people dont look like that on long exposures plus the begging lady would silghtly blurred (not to mention the people behind her begging cup). cheers martyn
    Last edited by Nomadr; 6th January 2011 at 12:56 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a hyper emotional person, I stood there trembling - I was flipping through and reading and I was so incredibly inspired.
    You remind me of me, when I got my copy of Joe McNally's "The Moment it Clicks" (highly recommended by the way).

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    You will further understand why David shoots this kind of images... from the heart.
    Jiro, I just noticed that you said that, hmmmm..... look at my signature.

Real Name

Jiro, I just noticed that you said that, hmmmm..... look at my signature.
    What a coincidence huh. Well, that's what David said on the 1st 2 chapters of his book. I just noticed that on your signature. Nice!

Re: Tears

Quote Originally Posted by nomadr View Post
    i dont like it , it doesnt look real,ie people dont look like that on long exposures plus the begging lady would silghtly blurred (not to mention the people behind her begging cup). cheers martyn
    So cynical! Anyway, it's not like it's a 30 second exposure - probably, at most, a second. You can see that it's something akin to the morning rush (you can see one blurry person on a cell phone.) In the meantime, how long has she been standing there - waiting - keeping to her spot - settled in - for how long? A little while, probably, at least. I've seen something similar to this, before, myself.

Real Name
    Chris

http://www.tedorland.com/books/artandfear.html

This is required reading by all my students. It's good stuff about being a creative person.

What a coincidence huh. Well, that's what David said on the 1st 2 chapters of his book. I just noticed that on your signature. Nice!
    I almost wanted to say that it must have been in the back of my mind but it, actually, was Gareth who came up with it for me. Well, THAT just makes me feel good.... now to apply it more....

Real Name

I almost wanted to say that it must have been in the back of my mind but it, actually, was Gareth who came up with it for me. Well, THAT just makes me feel good.... now to apply it more....
    Well, good luck then... my fellow virtual "classmate".

Well, good luck then... my fellow virtual "classmate".
    Thanks! likewise....

Real Name
    Call me as Ross

This image makes a strong impression on me. Our planet still has many many sad stories.

Real Name
    Chris

RE: http://gallery.davidduchemin.com/#mi...1&p=1&a=0&at=0

As sometimes the worst of bad cynics, I hate to admit as a people, this is who we are, or at least who we have become. How many of us scoff at the guy sitting on a corner with a sign hanging around his neck telling you he'll work for food? Do you take him home? Bet you do not and you don't because as a whole, we see similar people on similar corners smoking cigarettes (at $4.00 a pack) using a cell phone and not looking overly skinny, malnourished or otherwise...and we can't tell the real from the phony..so we pass on by.
    Duchemin's photo is quite moving as is his whole body of work and given where they are taken, itis doubtful there is a fake in the bunch...but still I wonder, are we in more affluent parts of the world really so different? Is it the environment which makes this photograph so compelling, or is it because by viewing it, we assume some of the same guilt?

Hi, Chris!

Like I said.... I've seen it before. You're right, I'm sure that it's moving because it's universal. It's probably even been each one of us, at one time or another.

Real Name
    Chris

All the emotional involvement aside, I really like how he uses the motion of the passers by to direct the viewer's attention solely to the beggar. It is a great photo from every aspect.

I like the way he uses the motion blur to emphasis that the world is rushing past her in ignorance.You see this in any City/Town centre. Well thought out. It did not bring me to tears but I think we are becoming more hardened to sort of scene in the UK. If the government continues with its current policies our next generation, unless they earn more than £100k per annum, could well face this in retirement (unless they accept poverty line standards of living just to allow them to retire)

Chris, I always force myself to think of it as walking past myself. You miss the point, when you have nothing a pack of ciggies or a nicked mobile are he luxuries you provide as best you can. Poor populations go a bundle on the everyday luxuries. They do not use them as a status symbol as we would they use them to remind themselves the are living.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast