Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Need critique

Real Name
    Chris

Need critique

There are a number of things I particularly like about this photo, most of which revolve around finally being able to work in CS5 - sans the assistance of a book and going strictly via the tutorials and Go Live..and a lot of intuition.

I like the way I've been able to bring it from a very yellowish cast to more natural colors.
    I like the overall composition.
    And, the colors I've gotten to, I tend to like, especially how I was able to capture some of the reflective slat colors in the fading edge of the shower curtain.

I opened in Raw and did some relatively simple adjustments, then opened in PS and added a very diminished B&W layer adj., and a very diminshed layer curve adjustment, multiply at 27% to draw out some of the more subtle colors in the slats.

I also did some minor dodging and buring in the curtain and finally a smart sharp, also pretty light.

BUT, it still doesn't sing to me and I am not sure why it doesn't. hence, I need some help here.

the first image is closer to the RAW file in color and the second file, the one I am seeking assistance on.

Need critique

Need critique

How do I embed the EXIF data?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Need critique

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    ~ How do I embed the EXIF data?
    You don't need to, it is already there

Useful bits extracted;
    1/1000s, f/4.5, iso 400, (Manual) 24mm on Nikon D7000
    White Balance = Shade
    Metering = Multi-segment
    Adobe CS5

Real Name
    Chris

So, one, how did you extracct that info and two, why is it only singing in B-flat?

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Chris, the one thing that speaks to me is that the transition from the drapes to the blinds is exactly centered (horizontally). Since the blinds seem to be more interesting than the drapes, maybe try cropping off some of the left side of the frame and see how it looks. You might have to darken the remaining portion of the drapes though, to bring some of the depth back in that would be lost by eliminating the darkened portion of the drapes.

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Need critique

Well ok, I just tried it ... what do you think? Thanks.

Real Name
    Kay

I really liked this image when i first saw it - this crop and processing makes it stronger again to me.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    So, one, how did you extracct that info and two, why is it only singing in B-flat?
    Hi Chris,

I use Firefox (as a web browser) and there are several EXIF viewer pluggins/add ons that you can download (free) and install (takes seconds). I use Alan Raskin's; https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3905/

This gives the ability to right click on any image* and select an option "View Image EXIF" and if the data is there, it will (usually) show it.

Occasionally, fuller results can be obtained by copying the image url (e.g. one ending "jpg") and inserting it into the top box here; http://regex.info/exif.cgi
    You can also use it to check files on your HDD (using second text box to put path in).
    You can also drag a button to your FF toolbar, but if a thread/post has more than one image, this avoids right clicking, but it can be a bit hit-and-miss which one you get the EXIF data for (but it does show a thumbnail).

* Unfortunately, some website owners, I think unreasonably, literally accuse me of trying to steal their image just because I right clicked on it - you 'smugmug'gers know who you are, and they aren't the only ones
    What happened to 'not-guilty until convicted' - darn cheek I call it

Sorry, you lost me with B-flat reference

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st January 2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: added more info

Real Name
    Al

For non-Firefox users, PowerExif is a free download that works pretty well in Windows. It's not a browser plug-in, so you'll have to download the image, and then open it with the app.

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Snarkbyte View Post
    For non-Firefox users, PowerExif is a free download that works pretty well in Windows. It's not a browser plug-in, so you'll have to download the image, and then open it with the app.

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/
    Thanks Al,

That confirms my experience, I spent some time searching this afternoon and frankly I am gob-smacked at the almost complete lack of EXIF viewers for IE. I found a couple dated 2005 and one dated 2009 from a guy that doesn't have a working homepage link on his website, so I didn't trust it.

The only other I found was Opanda, but if you've got to download the image each time anyway, you may as well open in Elements/CS/whatever image editor or use Windows Advanced Properties to see the EXIF data.

Far, far easier is just to use the regex website link I posted above.
    Or do yourself a real favour, and get Firefox.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st January 2011 at 09:24 PM.

Real Name
    Wendy

This is the one I use in IE. It's free and you just right click on the image for EXIF

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...f-Viewer.shtml

Wendy

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    This is the one I use in IE. It's free and you just right click on the image for EXIF

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...f-Viewer.shtml

Wendy
    How'd you find that -thanks Wendy ...

Downloaded and installed, and (after restart IE), I now see it in right click menu, but it only works if I have the image (alone) open in its own tab.

Trying it on an image displayed in a CiC post says 'Message from webpage': "Object doesn't support this property or method" - Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st January 2011 at 10:35 PM.