Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerbera threesome

Gerbera threesome

All shot with Canon 50D, Sigma 105mm macro, extension tubes, and single studio light with diffuser box. Each one was between 6-8 manually focussed shots, stacked in CS5, which is as good as Helicon, and much quicker.

All posted at 1024, so you can do a view image to see the fuller size.

Gerbera threesome

Gerbera threesome

Gerbera threesome

And this is a 125% blow-up of the last one. You can see how well it stacks.

Gerbera threesome

Real Name
    Elise

Re: Gerbera threesome

They are such photogenic flowers, aren't they?? All are beautiful, but I like #2 and #3 best.

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    They are such photogenic flowers, aren't they?? All are beautiful, but I like #2 and #3 best.
    They are very photogenic, I agree. Not too bad to shoot either, as the depth of field is never too much of a problem. I like #3 the best as it's more subtle. Subtle, that must be a keyword for 2011. Understated and subtle.

Yep, got to agree, No 3 is a cracker. I like the softness of the lighting provided by your set up. I think the studio set may have to be the next big purchase for me. I will have to wait and see how much damage the Hooray Henry Brothers do to my wallet in the new year

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Stunning Rob. I like #1 the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Smith View Post
    Stunning Rob. I like #1 the best.
    Thanks, Sam. The yellow area in the centre of #1 was only 1.5cm across. I had to use 52mm of extension tube to get in that close.

They're all just stunningly pretty! I love all 3 but I just want to comment that the soft gray/blue background in #3, offsets the flower beautifully. The light in that one is gorgeous, too!

...I keep going back to stare.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

I love # 2 the most. I guess CS5 could have 'Repaired' the torn petals

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    I love # 2 the most. I guess CS5 could have 'Repaired' the torn petals
    It could have. But then, it's naturally imperfect - like me

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    It could have. But then, it's naturally imperfect - like me
    Hi Rob

Excellent shots!

What aperture have you used on these? I found a you tube tutorial you provided a few months ago and I'm going to experiment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    Hi Rob

Excellent shots!

What aperture have you used on these? I found a you tube tutorial you provided a few months ago and I'm going to experiment.

Thanks
    That's a good question. I used to use f/16, because the lights are powerful enough to handle it. But then I thought that was rather pointless when I am stacking the images anyway (DOF isn't really an issue). So now I tend to use f/8 or f/11 to get the best image quality out of the lens.

If you are going to try this it's best to get as much light as you can, otherwise you might have camera shake. Strong natural light from a north-facing window is fine. Your 24-105 makes quite a reasonable close-up/macro, and you have CS5 now for the stacking. It's really quite easy. Here's what I do:

1. Camera on tripod - lights connected wirelessly, if you are using them.
    2. Shoot in RAW
    3. Electronic release connected to camera.
    4. Manually focus from one end of the focus range and move through the range. Make sure you allow for the lights to recharge (if you use flash) between shots.
    5. Load RAWs to CS5 - 'select all'. Edit one of them to get exposure, contrast, vibrancy, then apply to all.
    6. Open the images in CS5
    7. Select FILE/SCRIPTS/LOAD FILES TO STACK. Tick 'load open images' and 'attempt to align files'
    8. When done select all layers and select EDIT/AUTO-BLEND LAYERS. Tick 'stack images' and 'seamless tones and colours'.
    9. Flatten the image and save
    10. Do any further CS5 edits/corrections/repairs. Sharpen.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

That's a good question.
    Here's what I do:
    .......................[*]Load RAWs to CS5 - 'select all'. Edit one of them to get exposure, contrast, vibrancy, then apply to all.[*]Open the images in CS5[*]Select FILE/SCRIPTS/LOAD FILES TO STACK. Tick 'load open images' and 'attempt to align files'[*]When done select all layers and select EDIT/AUTO-BLEND LAYERS. Tick 'stack images' and 'seamless tones and colours'.[*]Flatten the image and save[*]Do any further CS5 edits/corrections/repairs. Sharpen.[/LIST]
    Why don't I have an option to mark this as 'helpful?! '
    Just curious..

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    Why don't I have an option to mark this as 'helpful?! '
    Just curious..
    Because it's posted in a photo review forum.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Because it's posted in a photo review forum.
    This too

But we have so many helpful things here too...

Real Name
    Raylee

Thanks Rob. This will be my task for tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    Thanks Rob. This will be my task for tomorrow.

And what shoes will you be wearing for the task? Not the Doc Martens - this calls for finesse.

Strong natural light from a north-facing window is fine.

Huh! I just realized something. That probably isn't true in the southern hemisphere, is it? Am I right in thinking a south facing window is shielded from direct sun, not north?

Real Name
    Raylee

Huh! I just realized something. That probably isn't true in the southern hemisphere, is it? Am I right in thinking a south facing window is shielded from direct sun, not north?
    North facing windows get the sun in the southern hemisphere. But it's a slightly cloudy day today so the light is diffused. I do use my light tent at a north facing window but of course that diffuses the light. The sun is very high in the sky at this time of year so it won't cast strong shadows through the window.

And no - I won't be wearing my Docs around the house - it's much too hot for 8 hole boots!

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

You just have to love a man who can post beautifully shot pink flowers and not blush, don't you?

But seriously now, how many images do you generally have to take to stack a final like this?

Real Name
    Raylee

That's a good question. I used to use f/16, because the lights are powerful enough to handle it. But then I thought that was rather pointless when I am stacking the images anyway (DOF isn't really an issue). So now I tend to use f/8 or f/11 to get the best image quality out of the lens.

If you are going to try this it's best to get as much light as you can, otherwise you might have camera shake. Strong natural light from a north-facing window is fine. Your 24-105 makes quite a reasonable close-up/macro, and you have CS5 now for the stacking. It's really quite easy. Here's what I do:

1. Camera on tripod - lights connected wirelessly, if you are using them.
    2. Shoot in RAW
    3. Electronic release connected to camera.
    4. Manually focus from one end of the focus range and move through the range. Make sure you allow for the lights to recharge (if you use flash) between shots.
    5. Load RAWs to CS5 - 'select all'. Edit one of them to get exposure, contrast, vibrancy, then apply to all.
    6. Open the images in CS5
    7. Select FILE/SCRIPTS/LOAD FILES TO STACK. Tick 'load open images' and 'attempt to align files'
    8. When done select all layers and select EDIT/AUTO-BLEND LAYERS. Tick 'stack images' and 'seamless tones and colours'.
    9. Flatten the image and save
    10. Do any further CS5 edits/corrections/repairs. Sharpen.
    I've followed these instructions and after a few attempts I think I've got something passable.

Gerbera threesome

I understand why you use artificial lighting, Rob. Even though, I was using a light tent and no direct natural light, cloud cover caused minor variations in some of the exposures. I used f8, tripod, remote shutter release and 60mm macro lens.

Thanks for the instructions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast