Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: An "edgy" portrait

Real Name
    Elise

An "edgy" portrait

Okay, I'm creating all kinds of anxiety for myself by posting this, because I 1) don't take pictures of people, 2) followed none of the "School of Portraiture" rules, 3) don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to high key, but I thought I'd venture posting this one so I can learn, right? I know it's not terribly sharp, but it was low-ish light and a pretty long exposure (I was trying out my new Gorillapod). Let me know what you think --

An "edgy" portrait

Canon 40D, 100mm, f/4.0 @ 1/5 sec, ISO 200.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: An "edgy" portrait

I've never done much Hi-Key lighting, so I may not be the best one to critique but overall, it seems more blown out than exposed for a hi-key lighting setup. Most of the Hi Key lighting I've seen has a much less defined, and much lighter background with a more defined figure-foreground. I don't see enough of her left shoulder to be comfortable with it as a deliberate exposure. I think her eyes hold, but the hair, somewhat like the shoulder is too flat in tonal contrast. I am not overly uncomfortable with her nose and mouth, but even those I'd like to see better defined, tonally.
    Compositionally, I'd like to see a tad less to the left. With her eyes directed to the viewer, that space has virtually no purposeful need. Try to keep in mind with my criticism that I am very much old school in my thinking and rationales.

Real Name
    Elise

Thanks for the feedback, Chris -- I didn't expose for high-key, rather did it in PP. Not sure if anything about it works, just looking for a little feedback, which I appreciate.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Elise

I acknowledge that I know less about portraiture than , well ....... everything!

I think if you were going for that 'look' on the person, then you needed a plain, light-background. The fact that there seems to be foliage and a building doesn't, I feel, help it.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Elise,

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    I didn't expose for high-key, rather did it in PP.
    In which case, I wonder if there's a slightly different way of doing it that would retain some more detail in the highlights - just a thought.

Real Name
    Elise

Thanks everyone -- I don't think I'm ever going to make a portrait photographer. This was a candid shot, with the Xmas tree and a bookcase in the background that I tried to fool around with in PP.

The subject, however, was so happy with it that she immediately made it her profile pic on facebook -- high praise indeed from one's own daughter, I guess.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    Thanks everyone -- I don't think I'm ever going to make a portrait photographer. .... The subject, however, was so happy with it that she immediately made it her profile pic on facebook ...
    In which case, it worked!

Real Name
    Pops

If the client likes it, it is perfect.

I'm going to quote Bill again.
    When you snap the shutter, you store a photograph in the camera. That, you can control.

When you develop and print that photograph, you create the picture which is in YOUR mind. That, you can control.

When you hand that print to somebody else, the picture becomes the one in THAT person's mind. That, you cannot control. It is not yours any more.

Pops