Just Playing With a Little Light

Table for One

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Just Playing With a Little Light

Hi Chris,

I like the idea. My immediate reaction is: -

#1. The jar or bottle on the right is a distraction to me. I think it would be a much stronger composition with just the 3 bottles with yellow tops. An odd number of items, as you know, are better than an even number and the patterns would be stronger.

#2. Again how much stronger if the actual table at left was out of the frame with just its shadow beside the chair. That would probable mean moving the table and in doing so you might have to lift it off the ground to get the shadow behind the chair like you have, which I do like. I feel it links the items and tells a story.

Good vision to see these shots.

Real Name
    Chris

I can redo the honey bears but the chair and table were at a friend's house quite a distance away...perhaps next summer agian when the light is right. I can probaly work some PS silliness with the table, perhaps even the bears..I'll show you later. Thanks for the feedback.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I can redo the honey bears but the chair and table were at a friend's house quite a distance away...perhaps next summer agian when the light is right. I can probaly work some PS silliness with the table, perhaps even the bears..I'll show you later. Thanks for the feedback.
    As a saving grace for what you have already achieved why not copy the image, flip the copy, and stitch together.

Real Name
    Chris

I have never tried stitching...but it can't be too hard...right???? Let me see what I can do.

Like this????

Real Name
    Peter

Now the jar in front or whatever takes on a totally different persona and helps give depth to teh shot. Good suggestion John and well done Chris. I actually like it, quiet qurky really.

What do you think Chris?

Real Name
    Chris

I think I should have taken the advice I give to my students..."Look beyond the focus of your intent and get rid of anything that might distract from it. Move it if you can, shoot from another angle if you cannot." Since it was meant to be a "fun" image, playing with it like this makes it all the more fun...still...once again, I've learned from a mistake. The chair gig was just too impossible to do much with. I still like the shot, though again, I need all my past students to whip me unmercifully with many wet noodles for not sweeping away all the crap in the bottom right corner. It so removes some of the austerity from the shot. I really don't like distractions. From this, I get to experience the same frustrations as my students get from me...shoe is on the other foot.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Now the jar in front or whatever takes on a totally different persona and helps give depth to teh shot. Good suggestion John and well done Chris. I actually like it, quiet qurky really.

What do you think Chris?
    Some say symmetry can be boring but not in this image. I think Chris should just tell his students "I meant to do that" or "This is to get you thinking outside the parameters of rules..".

Real Name
    Peter

I agree wholeheartly John; as you say 'thinking outside the square'.

Also the shot of the chair and reflection is a good shot. I was at a friend's house recently and she had a wonderful spring garden. I took the camera outside for a quick play around her garden. With more time I probably would have taken some different shots but I had fun looking through the viewfinder and taking the shots. The comemnts are things to think of for another day but not taking away from what you are doing - having fun with the camera. I am the first to say that all shots are not meant to be masterpieces - don't forget to have fun and record your memories in your style.

Real Name
    Kay

to me 'the crap' almost forms a 'frame or vignette' effect around the chair leg...I like it there....
    but don't let the kids hear that, they'll never tidy their rooms again!

Real Name
    Thierry

I share the point of view of Peter in his first message. very interesting approach

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    to me 'the crap' almost forms a 'frame or vignette' effect around the chair leg...I like it there....
    but don't let the kids hear that, they'll never tidy their rooms again!
    I agree with you about the 'crap', as you so elegantly put it Kay, is places a floor on that part of the image and stops your eye wondering off.