Page 2 of 539 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself & Welcome Other Members (archive)

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Welcome thread

Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeBlue View Post
    Hello to everyone.
    Real name is Peter....
    Hope to see more of everyone in the future.

Peter
    Welcome Peter and was pleased to see you posting images in the 'bird and boat' even before intro. This forum, as lively show, is still fairly new and each new entrant can do his or her (not many hers?) bit to keep it friendly, informative but not too stuffy

S'ppose I better introduce myself aswell.

Hi to everyone on the forums, some I've bumped into in some topics, some I haven't.
    I'm Phillip. Currently using a Pentax k10d I have just sort of gotten into photography a bit more after doing it amatuarly for some time (still a hobby though). I'm doing a photography course this year, obviously I'm learning and welcome any help.

Cheers, and its a very nice forum y'all got yourself here.
    Last edited by iPhillip; 15th January 2009 at 01:55 AM.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by iPhillip View Post
    Hi to everyone on the forums, some I've bumped into in some topics, some I haven't.
    I'm Phillip. Currently using a Pentax k10d..
    Cheers, and its a very nice forum y'all got yourself here.
    Welcome properly Phillip - although it nice you have also posted pics. Am including the odd literary allusion to DA for your benefit, but never convinced that photographers ever read a novel, much less 4 or more.

Real Name
    Daniel

Hi Peter, welcome to the forum, even I'm also new, I agree to what you wrote!

Cheers,

Daniel

Welcome Peter and was pleased to see you posting images in the 'bird and boat' even before intro. This forum, as lively show, is still fairly new and each new entrant can do his or her (not many hers?) bit to keep it friendly, informative but not too stuffy
    Thanks for the welcome crisscross.

Hi Peter, welcome to the forum, even I'm also new, I agree to what you wrote
    Thanks Daniel.

Welcome to you Phillip, what course are you doing?

Peter

This forum, as lively show, is still fairly new and each new entrant can do his or her (not many hers?) bit
    Hello everyone, here's one more 'her' to add to the forum mix!
    My name's Jenny and I found the forum through a link to the Tutorials. I'm a very amateur photographer so I was unsure about joining but this forum seems really friendly and helpful and a good place to learn from other people's posts, advice and experience.

Born in Devon, grew up in Dorset and moved to south-west Ireland about 30 years ago.
    Used a Fuji Finepix f31 for the last couple of years and 95% of my photography was of flowers but I've recently become interested in lichens - most amazingly photogenic subjects but a nightmare to try and identify!

I got the Nikon P6000 a couple of months back as I need a camera small enough to go everywhere with me. Post processing is done using PhotoShop CS, but mainly just cropping, Levels, Curves and USM.

I'm a bit technically challenged but thanks to the excellent tutorials am slowly getting a better understanding of photographic terms and techniques!

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Welcome Jenny,

I think alot of us were in a very similar boat when we joined! I too was quite nervous of joining at first but you will find people here friendly and helpful, so don't be bashful as I'd like to see some lichen pictures.

Mark

Real Name
    Ian

Hi Jenny,

We had a guy by the name of John Jones talk to our local photo club about the island of Skokholm (off the Welsh coast if I recall correctly), who seemed to know more about lichens than I knew ever existed. The colours and variety of something I have never really considered before was quite amazing.

Feel free to post on here, the comments are normally very helpful and don't denigrate the photographer, but can assist tremendously with technique etc.

Ian

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Jenny,

Welcome to the forums

I can't say I know anything about your specific cameras, but I'm not too bad on general photographic stuff (which applies to all cameras) - so don't hesitate to ask anything and everything - I'm sure we'll think of something to help!

Cheers,

Colin - pbase.com/cjsouthern

Thanks Mark, Ian and Colin for the welcome to the forum - and yes, I'm likely to be posting pictures of lichen once I figure the how and where of it and asking for help and advice too!

[COLOR=silver]hello all,
    [COLOR=silver]what a great thread!
    [COLOR=silver]
    [COLOR=silver]I'm Ray, started playing with my dad's old Canon way back in high school. I was lucky enough to learn darkroom techniques then. I think the bug bit me in the darkroom.
    [COLOR=silver]
    [COLOR=silver]Then I got lucky and had the chance to do a few research projects involving photography/filming. These projects gave the chance to play with un-common (and expensive) equipment and send me to different environments. My favorites were high speed filming (1000 frames per second) and the experiment in zero-g.
    [COLOR=silver]
    [COLOR=silver]Today, photos I take are mostly portraits but I do enjoy landscape pics. Although started with C now I'm in the N camp. Just a tool, right?
    [COLOR=silver]
    [COLOR=silver]Love this website and find this is a great community.
    [COLOR=silver]
    [COLOR=silver]Cheers
    [COLOR=silver]

Real Name

"[COLOR=#c0c0c0]Although started with C now I'm in the N camp. Just a tool, right?"

Shall we just say that admitting changing camera camps here is probably less of a safety risk than saying you support the "wrong" football team in parts of England!

The Zero-G experiment sounds interesting - I've only ever toyed with it momentarily when flying light planes (at my daughter's {repeated} request!). If you think that cars going over the crest of a hill are fun, it's nothing to what aircraft can do! Would love to try the "vomit comet" and get a full 18 seconds of it!

Cheers,

Colin

Hi there,
    I am so new to this whole forum thing and finding it all a bit overwhelming but so helpful! My name is Judy (Neppie was a nickname from years ago that stuck), and I live in Brisbane, Australia.

I have been interested in photography for a while, but haven't had the time to really get immersed into it until my sister took it up recently and sparked my interest again. I have a Canon 1000D (nothing fancy to start out with), and so far it's been really fun.

I am a single mother of two teenagers, human to a neurotic grey cat and to the blunderbus Great Dane....I teach primary school and am completing my Masters thesis in Intercultural Education - so not a lot of spare time but the end is in sight!

I am such a novice that I will no doubt ask the occasional "obvious" question, so I apologise in advance. I've just returned from a trip to the US and am heading back in September to photograph the changing colours and also visiting a Wolf Sanctuary to see if I can't take a half-decent photo there too. I'm all ears/eyes...any tips welcome!

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Judy, welcome.

Don't feel embarrased to ask anything you like! The worst that could happen is you might be reffered to the tutorials, and after all, I sincerly recomend that you read them when and if you get the time!

Shall we just say that admitting changing camera camps here is probably less of a safety risk than saying you support the "wrong" football team in parts of England!

@Colin; I think I resemble that remark!

Real Name

Hi Judy,

Another welcome! - this time from Nelson, New Zealand.

So far I've only ever made it out of New Zealand once - and that was to Brisbane. Loved the city - everything just seemed so bright and clean.

Had to laugh at the weather though - I spent 1/2 the night sleeping on top of the covers (how was I supposed to know that you had to insert the room key in a switch to make the air conditioning work!) - the next day the locals were commenting "wasn't it cold last night" - to which another replied "yes - I had to get up and put an extra blanket on"!

Hope you'll be a regular here - just sing out if you have any questions - I'm sure we'll figure out something between us!

Cheers,

Hi All. I'm a retired musician, served in the Scots Guards Band for 22 years. I took an interest in Photography when I turned 70. Have enjoyed it now for 4 years and I've found this site to be very helpful. I have Canon equipment , 30D Camera 17-40 MM L lens 50mm lens and 70-200 f4 L
    I have a website for family and friends www.tommywilson.ca if you look please be kind.

Real Name

Hi Tommy,

Welcome to the "family" - good to have you with us!

Cheers,

Real Name
    Peter Mott

Hi Everyone, my name is Peter and I am a retired university lecturer happily spending time with computing and photography. I used to take photographs of Scottish mountains a good few years ago but in theend gace up because I did not have the skill/equipmwent/knowledge or time to process the pictures and the cpommercial processing was so disappointing. But digital gets over that problem I guess and lets me play with the computer. I have Lightroom 2. Ulead PhotoImpact 12 and GIMP. My camera is a Canon 400D + three EF-S lenses. I have not got a flash unit yet because I am in the dark about flash photography.
    This looks to be a list where you can learn stuff so I'm looking forward to it.

Peter

Real Name

Hi Peter,

Welcome. I got a little "excited" when I saw "Wakefield" in your location (Wakefield, Nelson, New Zealand is about 3 minutes up the road from where I am), but then I realized you're a bit further afield than that!

If we can help with anything at all, just sing out - I do a lot of flash work, and can probably help with anything technical you might need.

N K Guy has practically written an online book on EOS Flash photography (it's considered by many to be the closest thing to an EOS Flash bible) - you can find it at ... http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Hi Colin
    Thank you for your welcome, I was treated like a King when I toured your beautiful country in 1964 with the Guards Band
    Tommy