Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speed Light vs Flash

Real Name
    John

Re: Speed Light vs Flash

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    That last statement is potentially confusing.

I don't know of any camera that "chooses" to use a slower shutter speed when a Flash is attached to it and that Flash does not sync at the camera's specified Max Sync Speed.

What happens is if (an off brand) Flash Unit cannot perform at a Shutter Speed which is chosen, then a black bar will appear in the shot.

The User has to 'choose' another Shutter Speed to accommodate the Flash not being able to perform at the Camera's Maximum Technical Specifications.

Most camera manufacturers specify that the Technical Specifications apropos "Max Sync Speed" is with specific ON BRAND Flash units and give no guarantee when using off brand flash units.

WW
    I've sent two flash guns back because the camera did exactly that Bill. Went to 1/60 even though the guns claimed to be fully compatible. Since having that experience I buy the manufacturers own guns.

So yes the camera did choose to pick a lower max sync speed.

John
    -

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Speed Light vs Flash

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    I've sent two flash guns back because the camera did exactly that Bill. Went to 1/60 even though the guns claimed to be fully compatible. Since having that experience I buy the manufacturers own guns.

So yes the camera did choose to pick a lower max sync speed.

John
    -
    That's interesting. I don't doubt your word but I do not understand how such a function is possible with any camera that I know - but I have collected a few other crazy and unexpected camera functions over the years; so if you wouldn't mind expanding on the details so I can file such an unusually function for future reference:

1. What camera?

2. What Camera Mode was set? (i.e. Aperture Priority, Manual . . . etc)

3. What Flash?

Thanks,

WW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12