Thread: Is this a good camera? Please help out!

Is this a good camera? Please help out!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+...78635&st=canon

It's got the manual, shutter priority, aperture priority, A-DEP, and manual. It's all I'm looking for, basically, but it would be nice to get some suggestions. Is the price okay? anything better I could get for a lower price? thanks.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Is this a good camera?Please help out! [:

From what I've read about them on the ResellerRatings website, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Best_Buy

The golden rule is always buy from someone you can trust. B&H PhotoVideo are the gold standard (www.bhphotovideo.com), and others like Adorama also have good reputations.

If you find a price anywhere that's more than a few $$$ cheaper than B&H, be VERY suspicious.

In terms of the camera, as a rule, I don't like the entry level models because they don't have a quick control dial, which means pressing lots of buttons to make settings changes - plus - the physically small form factor is a concern for some people. But, they are cheaper than the XXD range.

Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Steaphany

Be leery of low price deals when everyone else has the same camera at a higher price. There will be price variations, but all will be pretty much close.

The extra low prices may turn out to be a gray market unauthorized foreign import. You get the same camera at a nice low price, but if anything goes wrong warranty servicing, or general servicing and repairs, will be impossible or simply non-existent. That can end up costing you big time even if you simply want a factory cleaning done.

Real Name
    Troy

Here in southern California, Best Buy is like McDonalds or KFC. It's a giant chain store and I go there all the time for my electronics, so you can trust them. I even bought my nikkor 35mm f1.8 from them over seven months ago. They're notorious for convincing ill-informed customers to purchase other products, but just ignore them. Their computer repair techs are the ones that all the real computer techs hate That might explain the bad reviews.

If you do decide to buy this specific camera, buy from best buy if there is one near. Adorama has one for $800 USD (exact same price), so just take a trip to Best Buy and pick it up whenever you want.
    Last edited by pwnage101; 9th December 2010 at 06:41 AM.

Real Name
    Mario

Re: Help. Is this a good camera?

I happened to think the website included was particularly heavenly with helping me choose a quality camera for my budget. They give you the full scoop, sample images, and a summary that clarifies how it compares to others in its class at the price you pay.

"This is a great camera, but if you're looking for THIS or THAT at the price listed, you may as well go with the BLAHBLAHBLAH."

http://www.photographyblog.com/artic...tal_camera.php
    http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Help. Is this a good camera?

Certainly there are cheaper cameras about. It won't be bad.

This is current, but I don't follow Canon closely, especially not their prices, so cannot advise on that angle.
    A less capable body and a second lens for telephoto use might be worth having, or a secondhand body.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by pwnage101 View Post
    Their computer repair techs are the ones that all the real computer techs hate That might explain the bad reviews.
    It just appeared to be bad customer service. Honestly, that's a pretty low rating.

In comparison, check out the rating for B&H

http://www.resellerratings.com/store...ideo_Pro_Audio

2.33 -v- 9.82 out of 10 is one HECK of a difference.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Utopia,

You had two threads for same thing, I have deleted the other one and moved the answers here.

Then I moved this whole thread back to the other forum (about equipment)

Cheers,

Real Name
    Mario

I have nothing but high regards for B&H, that's where I purchased my camera.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    It just appeared to be bad customer service. Honestly, that's a pretty low rating.

In comparison, check out the rating for B&H

http://www.resellerratings.com/store...ideo_Pro_Audio

2.33 -v- 9.82 out of 10 is one HECK of a difference.
    That is what I gathered from reading the reviews, late shipments, a missing item (monitor which can be corrected, although I read connecting with customer service was a hassle), but nothing quality related. If there is a quality issue then you are going to have to send back to the manufacturer, this wouldn't be a retailer issue, more of a brand quality issue. The difference between online and store bought is you can inventory your items before you leave the store and also give it a try in some cases, and you have it when they say it is ready to ship. My recent electronics purchase involved reading an ad from a national chain store, going to the location and finding it not in stock but a "must order online" item. My choices were, buy the item online and wait 7 to 21 days for it to arrive, or buy one of the lessor models on display in the store. I chose to buy the item online and it arrived within five days. Should this obvious bait and switch ruse cause me to deter others from shopping at this chain store, not really the old bait and switch has been going on for decades. Each buyer has to use whatever information they can gather to make an informed decision. For the consumers who live within the vicinity of Best Buy, they won't have the same customer service issues that an online shopper might experience.

Real Name
    Richard

I often buy from Adorama and from B&H in New York City... These two companies have excellent customer service and are very reliable. Their prices are usually the best from any honest dealer.

I have purchased my last two Canon DSLR cameras as "Canon Factory Refurbished" after I needed to send two "new" Canon DSLR cameras into the Canon service center within 90-days after purchase. I never had any trouble with the Canon Refurb units leading me to have more faith in the quality control at the service centers than the Q.C. at the assembly line. Adorama provides a one-year warranty on the refurbished cameras and their price is $649 with free shipping for the T2i with 18-55mm IS lens...

I an considering the purchase of a 7D and will DEFINITELY go the refurbished route rather than the seemingly mandatory route of buying new and then sending in for service...

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    ...I an considering the purchase of a 7D and will DEFINITELY go the refurbished route rather than the seemingly mandatory route of buying new and then sending in for service...
    If you live in the USA, and prefer factory refurbs, you definitely need to know about the Canon Loyalty Program.