Thread: Reaching For Light

Real Name
    Alex

Reaching For Light

This is another one from yesterday that I took while out in the snow.
    Liked how the grass contrasted with the snow and went down that road with the processing.
    Left some detail of the snow and the ridge of the hill in, enough to keep you looking hopefully.

40D, Sigma 10-20, FL 10mm, Av f/13, Tv 1/100, ISO100, Hot Shoe Level, Cable Release, Tripod.

C&C welcome

Reaching For Light

Re: Reaching For Light

Very Michael Kenna, Alex I do like minimalist shots, and actually they are very difficult to get right. This one works well. Being an ex hill-runner, and having been caught out in a white-out a few times wearing not much more than a string vest and a briar pipe full of 'Old Shag', I can empathise completely with the objective here. http://www.michaelkenna.net/imagearchive.php

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Alex

Like Rob I do like this sort of image. And this is a very good example. Purely personal taste, but I might have sought to get rid of the ridge of the hill. But I do like the detail you've retained in the snow.

I think a lot of people are going to be keen to learn from you in terms of landscape. Hopefuly you've seen enough on here to make you want to stick around.

Real Name
    Elise

I'm willing to accept that it's my monitor, but I have a hard time seeing the ridge of the hill. I know it's there, but if I didn't know . . .

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    I'm willing to accept that it's my monitor, but I have a hard time seeing the ridge of the hill. I know it's there, but if I didn't know . . .
    Elise

It is very, very subtle.

Real Name
    Peter

I m away with my laptop and like Elise I am struggling to see the ridge but I like the concept.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ascott View Post
    This is another one from yesterday that I took while out in the snow.
    Liked how the grass contrasted with the snow and went down that road with the processing.
    Left some detail of the snow and the ridge of the hill in, enough to keep you looking hopefully.

40D, Sigma 10-20, FL 10mm, Av f/13, Tv 1/100, ISO100, Hot Shoe Level, Cable Release, Tripod.

C&C welcome

Reaching For Light
    Wow, that is a lot of whitespace. What would be your setup (colors, distance from viewer) for exhibiting this piece.

Real Name
    Grant

I see the ridge! You have to squint and hold your tongue in exactly the right place, but it is there. Great image and you have the same rig as me, so I have no more excuses.
    Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Alex

Like Rob I do like this sort of image. And this is a very good example. Purely personal taste, but I might have sought to get rid of the ridge of the hill. But I do like the detail you've retained in the snow.

I think a lot of people are going to be keen to learn from you in terms of landscape. Hopefuly you've seen enough on here to make you want to stick around.
    Yes, please do! (You've already been the final stroke - straw - puff - "whatever" that's made me decide that I really, really, really need a gnd filter!)

Real Name
    Alex

Rob, thanks for the link, some interesting work there about Michael worth seeing. Cheers.

Donald I think the ridge is to subtle and could be doing with bring it out a bit more to give it some more presence.
    I don't post on many forums but from what I've seen here so far Donald I'll be sticking around. Just been busy on other projects lately but will post when I get the chance and will try and pass on the little knowledge on Landscape photography that I have. Cheers.

Elise it is very subtle and you would need to have your monitor calibrated to see it properly though I'm not saying you don't

Peter I hope you had another chance to view it, can you see it with your main monitor?

John, I do this all for fun and have never exhibited my images before so I'm sorry I can't help.

That's my technique, Grant who showed you that Doesn't matter what set-up you have it's the person behind it that counts, so get out there and practice! Doesn't need to be some grand vista either, try your backyard or local park and just try different techniques, you'll be surprised what you learn.

Thanks Katy, I'll be sticking around

Sorry for bumping this thread folks but wanted to take the time to reply as I've not been on for a few days.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ascott View Post
    Rob, thanks for the link, some interesting work there about Michael worth seeing. Cheers.
    The video about him in this thread is very interesting Michael Kenna

Real Name
    Alex

Thanks for that Rob, really enjoyed it. He's got great vision and there's so much emotion/mood in his shots it's no wonder his work stands out.

Real Name
    Paul

That is an elegant image, Alex. You have an excellent eye and have created a beautiful composition. Well done.

- Paul -

Real Name
    Keith

It's all been said Alex, a great shot.