Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: A walk along the Gower coast

  1. #1

    A walk along the Gower coast

    Cracking day today. Beautiful weather (but very cold). A good day for taking some shots. These were taken on a 10 mile walk along the Gower Peninsula coast - and jolly nice it is too (the coast, not my shots)

    All shot with a Panasonic G1 four-thirds camera, with 14-45mm, and ND grad on all but the pano.

    Location on my Google map

    C+C

    Looking back to the start at Southgate
    A walk along the Gower coast

    Looking towards Caswell Bay
    A walk along the Gower coast

    Caswell Bay beach (pano of three shots stitched in CS5)
    A walk along the Gower coast

    Pwlldu Bay sunset on the way back (then the LED Lenser torch came out!
    A walk along the Gower coast

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,084
    Real Name
    Wendy

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    Very very nice Rob, the sunset is my favourite, it's beautiful and really has to be viewed full size. I love the subdued colour in all of the others, and as always the composition is so perfect ( to me anyway, but I don't know all the rules )

    You say you used an ND grad on all except the pano and I am wondering what the results would have been without the filter. I ask because ND filters are somewhere on my wish list, but these are not the type of shots that I though I would need them for.

    The sky and the ocean look about the same brightness to me. In the interest of my photo education, what was the benefit of having the ND for these shots.

    Wendy

  3. #3
    CNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    USA - California
    Posts
    731
    Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    Very nice, I especially like the last one. Well done!

    Chuck

  4. #4

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    Very nice, I especially like the last one. Well done!

    Chuck
    Thanks, Chuck. It seems the sunset is the most popular. I like it too.

  5. #5

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    ...it's beautiful and really has to be viewed full size.
    Good point - I meant to mention that. If you right-click the image and select 'view image' (Firefox), or 'open image in new tab/window' (IE) you get the full 1024 px wide versions. Quite useful for the panorama.

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    You say you used an ND grad on all except the pano and I am wondering what the results would have been without the filter. I ask because ND filters are somewhere on my wish list, but these are not the type of shots that I though I would need them for. The sky and the ocean look about the same brightness to me. In the interest of my photo education, what was the benefit of having the ND for these shots.
    The sky wasn't too bright, but there's another reason I use an ND so much. When I process the RAW, I find it gives shots tremendous contrast to use the tone curve sliders to boost the 'lights' (not the highlights, and to boost the 'darks'. I find this gives much better mid-range contrast, and as everyone seem to think my shots have very good contrast and impact, it must work

    A walk along the Gower coast

    I use the ND grad because to keep the sky areas as dark as realistically possible so that the tone curve adjustments don't blow out the sky. IOW, I'm subduing parts of the shot in camera, just to get the contrast back in RAW processing. It's tricky to get a decent range in the camera without an ND grad as there is too much exposure range in a well-lit landscapes such as these.

    The G1 (as you know) is brilliant for composition, as you can switch on the rule-of-thirds grid lines. That enables you to get a 'perfect' composition, and to make sure you are level by lining up one of the lines with a vertical or horizontal element in the view.
    Last edited by carregwen; 26th November 2010 at 06:50 AM.

  6. #6
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    20,025
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    A mighty impressive set. All of us who like to study and learn about composition would do well to linger awhile over this set of images and ask ourselves just how they're put together: Where are all the key elements in each of the images placed within the frame? What does that then mean for the impact the image makes upon us?

    They are all different and each stands in its own right. But the sunset is a bit of a stunner, isn't it?

  7. #7
    wilgk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Victoria Australia
    Posts
    2,409
    Real Name
    Kay

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    Excellent point Donald....(us ladies are onto something with you aren't we?)

    For me the key elements in 1,3 and 4 are the foreground area, which by nature of being grass, and then the sand.....I can feel myself then 'in the shot'.
    I know leading lines draw our eye in...but these go 'a step further' () and i feel as if I am walking into the shot, standing there and appreciating the scenery.

  8. #8

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    I know leading lines draw our eye in...but these go 'a step further' () and i feel as if I am walking into the shot, standing there and appreciating the scenery.
    Thank you, Kay. I think #1 is best for that. There are five different layers going from front to back - the grass in front of me, the beach, the hill behind the beach, the hills in the distance, and finally, the clouds. They all give a good sense of depth. there is also a good strong triangle in the foreground, with further triangles (running the opposite way) on the first hill. The horizon line is on the third line. It all makes for a sense of structure and discipline (love that phrase) while at the same time being a pretty shot.

    But hey! if anyone disagrees ....

    A walk along the Gower coast

  9. #9
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    20,025
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Excellent point Donald....(us ladies are onto something with you aren't we?)
    Aw shucks! The only thing I can think of is that it must be down to the stunning good looks and the engaging personality.

  10. #10
    wilgk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Victoria Australia
    Posts
    2,409
    Real Name
    Kay

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Aw shucks! The only thing I can think of is that it must be down to the stunning good looks and the engaging personality.
    ...being a wine buff did your cause no harm either

  11. #11
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,789
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    How do you say PWLLDU; no forget that. It is the one I like the most, I used to like driving through Wales but don't think I could walk 10 miles. Wished I could.

    There is a BBC series about Scotland (Making Scotland's Landscape) where it is proposed that the gentry killed the countryside, by evicting locals and introducing sheep grouse and deer.

    I don't think Wales suffered as much but you sure do have a lot of sheep.

  12. #12
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    20,025
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    There is a BBC series about Scotland (Making Scotland's Landscape) where it is proposed that the gentry killed the countryside, by evicting locals and introducing sheep grouse and deer.
    Don't get me started on the Clearances. Just typing this gets the veins on the back of the neck popping and the blood pressure starting to rise rapidly.

    One of humanity's first applications of state-endorsed ethnic cleansing.
    Last edited by Donald; 26th November 2010 at 12:30 PM.

  13. #13

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    A mighty impressive set. All of us who like to study and learn about composition would do well to linger awhile over this set of images and ask ourselves just how they're put together: Where are all the key elements in each of the images placed within the frame? What does that then mean for the impact the image makes upon us?

    They are all different and each stands in its own right. But the sunset is a bit of a stunner, isn't it?
    Boy, you said it! I was noticing that before I ever moved on - how "cleverly" these are put together and feeling the inspiration. Knowing Rob, I'm sure it was all on purpose, too. Thanks for sharing, Carregwen, and, then, further explaining. I just learned a bit!

    P.S. I love those blobby shapes in the sand in the last one.

  14. #14
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,789
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Don't get me started on the Clearances. Just typing this gets the veins on the back of the neck popping and the blood pressure starting to rise rapidly.

    One of humanity's first applications of state-endorsed ethnic cleansing.
    Sorry Donald; I don't know how the posh can live with themselves. Got somebody that thinks he's posh around here, that has put barbed wire everywhere including across public rights of way.

    But I was horrified when I heard the posh in Scotland evicted the locals, and anyway, how can you buy something that isn't owned by anybody.

  15. #15

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Aw shucks! The only thing I can think of is that it must be down to the stunning good looks and the engaging personality.
    Oh, Gawd! The Tartan Toy Boy is off again....

  16. #16

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Knowing Rob, I'm sure it was all on purpose, too.
    My wife thinks I'm a control freak, but that can't be correct as it's not on one of my lists.

  17. #17

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I don't think Wales suffered as much but you sure do have a lot of sheep.
    Can't honestly say I've seen any, but I'll keep my eyes open.

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    How do you say PWLLDU; no forget that. It is the one I like the most, I used to like driving through Wales but don't think I could walk 10 miles. Wished I could.
    It's pronounced PULL-DEE (well almost). The 10 miles is obligatory with my wife. I just tag along for the shots. Typical dialogue...

    Wife: Rob, what are you doing?
    Me: Taking a shot, dearly beloved.
    Wife: You just took a shot of that!
    Me: This one is on f/16, my angel.
    Wife: And what exactly is the difference?
    Me: You wouldn't understand my little pumpkin.
    Wife: Rob, you are getting an attitude problem...
    Here's a final shot from yesterday.

    A walk along the Gower coast

  18. #18

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    Rob, with my rather disagreeable nonchalance when it comes to landscapes I scrolled through the first 3 without stopping to draw breath (not that they are not excellent) but No 4 stopped me in my tracks. Beautifully composed and the light on the sea and the sand banks is perfect.

    Now I am sure you do this on purpose. You lull us into a sense of quiet contemplation on competently captured Welsh loveliness and knock us for six with a bowling ball of a final image. Post 17 is very striking too I much prefer these studies in texture and form.

    Excellent point Donald....(us ladies are onto something with you aren't we?)
    Have you been going commando under that kilt again...

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Greece (ex UK)
    Posts
    629
    Real Name
    Russell

    Re: A walk along the Gower coast

    Hi, Love the 1st and 2nd others good but 1 and 2 get my vote.
    Russ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •