Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Leaves and sunlight

Real Name
    Joanne

Leaves and sunlight

It's autumn in the Northern Hemisphere. We've all got a leaf shot or two haven't we?Leaves and sunlight

Real Name
    Joanne

Blue sky

Leaves and sunlight

Real Name
    Joanne

Re: Leaves and sunlight

I'm new here and this isn't a competition so it may be in the wrong area! I just wanted to see people's leaf and sun photos.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Joanne

Yes, I think this would be better in the relevant forum in the Photo Commentary section. If one of the Mods picks this up, they could maybe move it across. That way, people who wouldn't otherwise have seen it because they haven't come in to the 'Competition' section', will see it.
    Last edited by Donald; 26th November 2010 at 07:50 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Yes, I think this would be better in the relevant forum in the Photo Commentarry section. If one of the Mods picks this up, they could maybe move it across.
    Your wish is my command ...

Real Name
    Joanne

Thanks you guys! Sorry you have to fix everything I've done so far.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by EyeofthePotatO View Post
    That's no problem. Dave loves doing it, really!

The important thing is that you enjoy being part of this forum and feel that it helps your learning and the development of knowledge and skills.
    Last edited by Donald; 26th November 2010 at 07:50 AM.

We like fixing things because we are guys...

Hi, Joanne!

I have, like, a thousand leaf and sun photos. I'm not sure what I think of them, yet. I, actually, like this one best, so far. No sun - it was setting early. It was so bitterly cold and windy. I had to work really hard to get what i wanted out of it - clean background - a bit of it, somewhat, not blurry. Great fun!

Leaves and sunlight

Real Name
    Russell

Like the 2nd one best nice colours

Joanne

The first image needs a litte manipulation of the tonal curve. It just needs the lefthand end of the curve pulling down slightly. About a1/4 way from the left-hand axis and then pull up the righthand end of the curve upward very slightly (again a 1/4 way from the right-hand axis). Sean has a great tutorial on tonal curve manipulation HERE

You also need to watch for distractive objects entering your frame. It took me a while to get this as second nature. You get so engrossed in the subject that the eye fails to notice other objects that may complete for prime spot. I am talking vivid green leaves in the first image and the dark branch in the second image.

I actually really like the second image it is crisp and a beautiful complement of colours. A bit of hunting through the viewfinder would probably have yielded a frame without the branch. We all do this and I still do it on occasion and it takes some discipline to remember to check all around the scene in the viewfinder before hitting the shutter.

Real Name
    Just call me David.

Hi Joanne,

Steve hits on an important point regarding distractions in the scene. A simple solution is to make a frame in the proportions (ratio) of your picture dimensions that you can hold up to the scene and then move it around freely without the camera to your eye. Or, you can use your fingers to make a rectangle, whatever. It is an old trick, but still worth its salt.

I like the colors of #2. Both draw a second look though.

David

Real Name
    Joanne

Thank you for posting! I hope more people post their pictures. I am new to this and love looking at everything.

Real Name
    Joanne

When you talk about the tonal curve, is this something you do while taking the photo or manipulating it afterwards? I have been doing this for a bit less than two months and want to absorb any help you give me as if I were a sponge. I totally understand what you are saying about distractions! But you're right. I walked out of the store at Yosemite and saw the sun through this leaf stuck in a pine tree and didn't even notice anything else. I need to assess before I hit the shutter. It would have helped with the branch as well. I was so amazed at the yellow and blue that I didn't see the branch. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention.

Real Name
    Joanne

I will try that! There was a very old TV show (the Andy Griffith Show) and some movie-people came to Mayberry and the whole town ended up making rectangles to look at things. Thanks for reminding me. I will use that trick.

Real Name
    Elise

Here's an old one -- don't touch, though, it's poison oak.

Leaves and sunlight

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Joanne, and, if I haven't already said it; welcome to the CiC forums from me.

I totally understand what you are saying about distractions! But you're right. I walked out of the store at Yosemite and saw the sun through this leaf stuck in a pine tree and didn't even notice anything else. I need to assess before I hit the shutter. It would have helped with the branch as well. I was so amazed at the yellow and blue that I didn't see the branch. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention.
    It is all a matter of practice, feedback, practice, etc. and you've come to the right place for this

Looking back at your first two shot, a small change of where you shot from, just a few inches, might have been able to exclude the distractions, but even if you can't completely exclude them, it often helps to get them in a position for easier cloning removal later in PP (post processing).

When you talk about the tonal curve, is this something you do while taking the photo or manipulating it afterwards? I have been doing this for a bit less than two months and want to absorb any help you give me as if I were a sponge.
    Tonal curves are something you do in PP manipulation. You can't really do it at picture taking time.

Here is a tutorial (on Photoshop Curves) that may help show where the phrase 'tonal curves' comes from, but it is fairly advanced stuff and you can achieve good pictures without even looking at a Curves dialog - indeed your PP software may not even have such a thing.

It might help us to target PP advice more accurately in future if we knew what software you have for images on your computer.

Cheers,