Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: how good are you at editing ???

Real Name
    Paul

how good are you at editing ???

Ok then, somebody takes a photo of some landscape and it is of poor quality (that would be me then) how good could one make it by editing it ???

Real Name
    Jim

Re: how good are you at editing ???

Hi Paul,
    The only way you're going to get any precise answers ,you need to post the image.

Real Name
    John

And there are multiple levels of editing.
    1) A quick crop, brightness or contrast change, sharpening.
    2) The above, plus highlight and shadow editing, noise reduction, removing unwanted objects, etc.

Let's put it this way, Paul, for Editing consider Enhancing.

If the original is totally out of focus or seriously over exposed etc it is best to just click the Delete button irrespective of editing software or ability.

You may hear of experts who change the sky and add/remove items or change around the heads of people in the photo, etc. Well, with a suitable image and good software, it is sometimes possible. But creating a perfect result is never easy.

I have heard people dismiss hours of work by simply saying 'It was altered on a computer'.

Basic adjustments of brightness/saturation and a bit of sharpening are usually relatively simple but more complicated alterations like changing a sky work best if you have a good clear sharp image to start with.

Removing a difficult sky with lots of colour variation (clouds etc) from behind a leafy tree which isn't in sharp focus can prove virtually impossible. People or animals with a lot of long whispy pale hair can be equally difficult.

But, like Jim said, if you can show us some photos we can suggest what might be possible in the way of enhancement.

Real Name
    Richard

A simple statement:

Not all images can be made to look good using Photoshop or some other editing program. Conversely, IMO, all images can be improved to one degree or another with some form of post processing...

Real Name
    Shane Kupono Costa

Speaking for myself, I always feel the best way to do it is to get really close to finished product with the original image. Then you won't have problems with posterization, grainy images due to a huge crop, and the images look more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by pono View Post
    Speaking for myself, I always feel the best way to do it is to get really close to finished product with the original image. Then you won't have problems with posterization, grainy images due to a huge crop, and the images look more realistic.
    Amen!

Real Name
    David

The best way to improve a poor quality photo is to try and shoot it again with some different settings. If that is not possible, try some cropping or some colour enhancing...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I have heard people dismiss hours of work by simply saying 'It was altered on a computer'.
    Well that's just plain ignorance and the viewer/commentors loss. They might just as well say "Ah, but it was taken on a Thursday".

I am (obviouly) pro PP, for the same reason as the "simple statement" from Richard

I know the ends don't always justify the means, but some people go through life missing countless opportunites for enjoyment based on some random, personal viewpoint that really doesn't withstand logical analysis.

Me included
    (except I know I'm right )
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 27th November 2010 at 07:56 PM.

Real Name
    Jim

These people think that PP started with digital cameras.I've never worked with film,but I know that people have been doing "dodge & burn",among other processes in darkrooms for ages to alter or enhance photographs.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    These people think that PP started with digital cameras.I've never worked with film,but I know that people have been doing "dodge & burn",among other processes in darkrooms for ages to alter or enhance photographs.
    Exactly, the viewer's ignorance was bliss
    (refer to my earlier post)

Real Name
    Alan Pezzulich

Quote Originally Posted by dnperfors View Post
    The best way to improve a poor quality photo is to try and shoot it again with some different settings. If that is not possible, try some cropping or some colour enhancing...
    Sometimes the camera corrections are correct but the picture needs some help anyway, especiallty pictures thaken with a point and shoot or a cell phone. I recently got a 5MP Casio cell phone (just need a new phone). I took some experimental shots and less than 20% were what I would call good. I ran all the photos through Adobe Camer Raw and with a little tweaking more then 90% were good. Most just required pulling the black slider up a lot and a little adjustment to the color temperature. I also ran some old vacation shots taken before I learned photoshop and ACR made a world of difference to quite a few of them. Editing in ACR is the first step in Photoshop, but often it is enought by itself.

Alan

Real Name
    Will

Sometimes a photo can be altered in a photo editing software into something totally different but good when the original was unrecoverable. Attached is a Edit I made last year some time.
    Attached Images Attached Images