Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tired Eyes Redo

Real Name
    Steve

Tired Eyes Redo

I haven't touched the camera for a fortnight, stuck indoors because of lack of money so I thought I would redo an old favourite. Is it better or am I getting worse.

Canon 50D with Tamron zoom at 46mm 1/60 f3.2 100iso an ND4 plus slave 1 metre in gold brolly at 1/2 power triggered by ext flash on manual 1/32 power pointing away from the subject.

Plus Layers
    Levels 4-1.14-237 Out 0-255
    Normal 50%
    Pin 100%
    Multiply Gauss 30p
    Screen X3

Tired Eyes Redo

Canon 10D

50mm f4 1/200 100iso

Tired Eyes Redo

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Tired Eyes Redo

Hi Steve,

Although the frames give it away as a more 'modern' shot, the colour temp and the fact you can't see the book is a recent-bound paperback, gives the lower image a more timeless appeal.

Now, I may just have 'put my foot in it' if the top one was the re-do
    If the second one is the re-do, I'm alright

Also, the top image's dropshadow border is competing with both the colour temp and shadows in the image. One thing in favour of the drop shadow is at least it is lit from the same side as the subject

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 13th November 2010 at 04:03 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

The top one is the redo; I should have looked at the old one first. You see I can't tell until I see both on the same page, that is why I like doing comparisons. Ah but the old one must have been a lot closer.

I like the second image better. One gets closer to the book and to the mathematics-it is closer to the "mind". But I'm a mathematician!

Real Name
    Steve

I think you are right Karlos; actually now I remember you are supposed to see through the glasses, I can crop the first to near the second because it is massive, over 5000 pixels on the long side, but I don't think it is ever going to be as good. cheers

Real Name
    Steve

Keep trying to get that feeling on a much higher resolution so that I will be able to sell it as stock, and keep failing or have I. The paperback above cost about £70 for three in the 1980's and it is a bit hard too understand so I chose a Fresher set book and a famous charming theorem to be a distraction instead. Don't know if I will ever manage the same as the above without being the exact same.

Tired Eyes Redo

Real Name
    Steve

Actually I forgot: a famous charming (theorem) Lemma about mathematical structure. A Lemma is a sort of a theorem that is used to prove a theorem, it all depends on context.

I noticed some strange visual objects, looking like reflections, strange and I can't explain them. I thought it it would be nice to have some opinion, I think maybe the smaller paperback and glossy pages lose a bit, the glasses at an angle, but it is carefully placed in focus using live view x5, the light is spot on and in the direction of the camera, and a white reflector gives a little definition to the front which I later darkened in PP.

On my display, I can see all the pages although some are 1 in a black point test.