Thread: Epson scanner V600 vs V850

Real Name
    E. James

Epson scanner V600 vs V850

The Epson V600 costs a little over $200 (US) whereas the Epson V850 hovers just below $1000. Both receive very good reviews. What does a $1000 scanner have that a $200 scanner does not? Can the V850 really be five times more worthy than the V600? Speed? Color accuracy?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Epson scanner V600 vs V850

The Nikon Coolpix P900 costs a little under $USD600 whereas the Nikon D850 hovers around $USD3300. Both receive very good reviews. What does a $3300 camera have that a $600 camera does not? Can the D850 really be 5.5 times more worthy than the P900? Speed? Colour accuracy?

I rest my case...

You get what you pay for and the relationship between performance improvement and price is not linear.

Real Name
    John

If you are planning to buy first thing to look for: is it compatible with your operating system? Price comparison might be at the top or bottom of your list. If you know anything about scanner technology/features you'll be able to determine if the extra $800 is worth the purchase. When I first purchased a scanner maximum resolution was the key factor, format output, at one time whether or not the scanner could scan film, color accuracy, demosaic handling, grey scale accuracy; there is so much I used to consider. Have a V330 that was purchased years ago, haven't used it much but was considered top of the line when I purchased and can be purchased today for under $200.

Real Name
    E. James

I suspect that a more expensive scanner has greater color accuracy for each pixel. At some point, color accuracy provides a higher quality image than more pixels having less color accuracy.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Abitconfused View Post
    I suspect that a more expensive scanner has greater color accuracy for each pixel. At some point, color accuracy provides a higher quality image than more pixels having less color accuracy.
    You can start with this comparison, the one thing that sticks out is the OS platform, hard to test drive if the drivers aren't available. Last time I ran into an issue such as OS compatibility the answer was to use an older driver.

https://reviewfinder.com/top-flatbed...rfection-v850/

Hi, I need some advice. This is a pretty old branch, but the closest to the topic. I want to buy a photo scanner for home.
    I searched in google and found this compare: https://www.bestadvisor.com/photo-scanners
    I am especially interested in epson models. Can you tell which variant is the most optimal?

Real Name
    Richard

I didn't realize that this is a two year old thread...
    But, here is an up-to-date answer...
    We just purchased the Epson V600 scanner and our computer system has been crashing whenever we turn on the scanner. Another problem with this unit is that you need to be very selective in which of the programs you install. from the installation disk. If you work with the default installation the computer gets bogged down with a lot of programs to edit photos that are superfluous when you have Photoshop installed your computer.
    Our computer guru technician is coming to install an SSD hard drive in my wife's computer and we will have him work on the compatibility problems between the V600 and my wife's Lenovo desktop computer...
    I will keep updating this thread as things change...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 16th March 2020 at 03:44 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Leowu View Post
    Hi, I need some advice. This is a pretty old branch, but the closest to the topic. I want to buy a photo scanner for home.
    I searched in google and found this compare: https://www.bestadvisor.com/photo-scanners
    I am especially interested in epson models. Can you tell which variant is the most optimal?
    The V600 is generally considered a decent low end scanner for general scanning work. The V800 (a scanner in the Epson family you do not appear to be considering) is viewed as the "entry level" for higher end scanning and the people that are doing high end work are opting for the V850.

I am looking at getting back into film photography and I will likely be acquiring the V850 when I do. That being said, much of my work ends up as a print, so the subtlety of a higher end scanner does matter. This is less of an issue for digital copies.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 16th March 2020 at 09:48 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

To piggy back on Manfred's astute 2017 post...

Today's entry level photo related equipment is really pretty marvelous. IMO, this equipment is dirt cheap in comparison with cameras/lenses of earlier days capable of producing similar results, if you figure in inflation and today's wages...

To paraphrase Manfred's posting, the quality/ability increase of more expensive cameras/lenses (and this applies to computer related equipment also) is not in a linear proportion to the money expended to buy the gear. Do you get 3-4 times better quality images from a system that costs 3-4x the price? I think not...

As an example: The Sony 85mm f/1.8 lens lists for $600 USD and the Sony 85mm G-master lens lists for $1800 USD (Adorama prices). Sure the G-master "might" produce slightly better results on some occasions but, overall the f/1.4 version is not 3x better than the f/1.8 lens...

Generally, IMO, the curve of increased capability flattens out as the price gets higher...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 16th March 2020 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    The V600 is generally considered a decent low end scanner for general scanning work. The V800 (a scanner in the Epson family you do not appear to be considering) is viewed as the "entry level" for higher end scanning and the people that are doing high end work are opting for the V850.

I am looking at getting back into film photography and I will likely be acquiring the V850 when I do. That being said, much of my work ends up as a print, so the subtlety of a higher end scanner does matter. This is less of an issue for digital copies.
    Thanks for info, it helpfull. Now I’ll search for the V800 model to decide.

Real Name
    Mariah hernenez

I think it is about durability and built quality. Obviously if it costs more then the product is also good in some way.

Real Name
    Bruce

If I may resurrect this now elderly thread, I've been wondering about buying the Epson V600 scanner, primarily because it apparently works reasonably well and is significantly less expensive than the 860. However, and that's a very big however, the Epson website says that the V600 (or presumably its driver/software) does not work with Windows 11.

Is anyone successfully using the V600 with Windows 11? I still have a fully functional computer running Windows 7 so one option might be to connect the somewhat out of data V600 to my old Windows 7 computer. But it obviously would be preferable to have a scanner that was fully functional with Windows 11.

I am looking for a scanner that will scan photos, slides, and both 35 mm and 120 negatives.