Thread: Epson scanner V600 vs V850

Real Name
    Ed

Epson scanner V600 vs V850

The Epson V600 costs a little over $200 (US) whereas the Epson V850 hovers just below $1000. Both receive very good reviews. What does a $1000 scanner have that a $200 scanner does not? Can the V850 really be five times more worthy than the V600? Speed? Color accuracy?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Epson scanner V600 vs V850

The Nikon Coolpix P900 costs a little under $USD600 whereas the Nikon D850 hovers around $USD3300. Both receive very good reviews. What does a $3300 camera have that a $600 camera does not? Can the D850 really be 5.5 times more worthy than the P900? Speed? Colour accuracy?

I rest my case...

You get what you pay for and the relationship between performance improvement and price is not linear.

Real Name
    John

If you are planning to buy first thing to look for: is it compatible with your operating system? Price comparison might be at the top or bottom of your list. If you know anything about scanner technology/features you'll be able to determine if the extra $800 is worth the purchase. When I first purchased a scanner maximum resolution was the key factor, format output, at one time whether or not the scanner could scan film, color accuracy, demosaic handling, grey scale accuracy; there is so much I used to consider. Have a V330 that was purchased years ago, haven't used it much but was considered top of the line when I purchased and can be purchased today for under $200.

Real Name
    Ed

I suspect that a more expensive scanner has greater color accuracy for each pixel. At some point, color accuracy provides a higher quality image than more pixels having less color accuracy.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Abitconfused View Post
    I suspect that a more expensive scanner has greater color accuracy for each pixel. At some point, color accuracy provides a higher quality image than more pixels having less color accuracy.
    You can start with this comparison, the one thing that sticks out is the OS platform, hard to test drive if the drivers aren't available. Last time I ran into an issue such as OS compatibility the answer was to use an older driver.

https://reviewfinder.com/top-flatbed...rfection-v850/