Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Adobe Lightroom changes

Real Name
    John

Adobe Lightroom changes

Adobe has announced a major overhaul of its cloud-based Lightroom service, reflecting the increasingly mobile-centric nature of image capture, editing and sharing.

Lightroom CC remains, but will now be known as Lightroom Classic CC, with Adobe launching an all-new cloud-based Lightroom CC service that's designed to make Lightroom more accessible, allowing you to edit, store and share your photos wherever you are.

More details here http://www.techradar.com/news/lightr...a-major-update

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Adobe Lightroom changes

I'm going to have a good read up on the new package as it sounds quite interesting. My current Lightroom Mobile app upgraded yesterday so I have an idea how the desktop one will work , just need to work out if its worth switching from the Classic version or not.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

John - I played around with the new tool for a few hours. Uploading 180 40MB raw files took some time; 1-1/2 hours roughly (I have fairly fast internet that runs at 10 Mb/ sec upload and 60 Mb / sec download). I've shot over 1TB of images year to date, so the bandwidth use would be crazy. When traveling I find the connectivity at hotels, even in places that are known for having good connectivity to be marginal at best, so again, I'm not sure how this version would be useful for me.

The basic functionality is very much like the "Classic" develop module, so if that is all the editing one is planning to do, perhaps. From a pure usability / user interface standpoint, I prefer what I see to the "Classic" Llightroom

Bottom line is I have no idea who the target audience is for this product; it certainly is not me. I've uninstalled it from my computer and don't expect to reinstall it again.

Real Name
    Richard

Serge Ramelli isn't going to use it either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKdp-BxhKzM&t=63s

And, he's a Lightroom fan. However, since I don't use Lightroom, it is a moot point for me....
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 20th October 2017 at 02:01 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Serge Ramelli isn't going to use it either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKdp-BxhKzM&t=63s

And, he's a Lightroom fan. However, since I don't use Lightroom, it is a moot point for me....
    Richard - having watched the video, that's not quite what he said. He will be using the Lightroom CC software for images captured on his iPhone, but not in his workflow with his regular Sony camera. There he will stick with the Lightroom CC Classic.

Real Name
    Dan

I posted this in another thread, but in case you didn't see it, check out the table at the bottom of this posting: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/light...ssic-features/. The cloud version is at this point a badly stripped-down version of the "classic." This is true both for the DAM functions and the editing functions. It doesn't even have a curves tool. It's useless for serious editing, IMHO.

Real Name
    Dave

Yes, Victoria's the go to person for Lightroom stuff.

She reorganised the forums last week in a way they didn't make much sense - till now!

Dave